Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Because you are not Democrats.
To be fair there would actually be a lot of Democrats in my neighborhood, they may even be the majority. These aren't typical Democrats though, a Democrat in my area pushing gun control is playing with fire within their own party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Painting gun owners as crazy isn't helpful or accurate. The U.S. is not Australia, Europe, Canada or any other place you might wish to compare us to. The U.S. just has a different culture than other countries. It is what it is and calling people crazy because they disagree with you is not going to change anything and certainly isn't going to change anyone's mind on the subject.
Sometimes the truth hurts!

And like I said and you just reinforced it, the gun culture is too ingrained into our society in the US, that Genie is out of the bottle and there is no way we are going back.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Painting gun owners as crazy isn't helpful or accurate. The U.S. is not Australia, Europe, Canada or any other place you might wish to compare us to. The U.S. just has a different culture than other countries. It is what it is and calling people crazy because they disagree with you is not going to change anything and certainly isn't going to change anyone's mind on the subject.
An obsession with something that is designed to kill is morbid. The obsession with guns in this country has led to a market flooded with guns, and a market flooded with guns leads to more people who can use them and do, and that includes use in crime and mass shootings in addition to relatively benign pursuits (for humans) like hunting and target shooting.

Even if all new gun sales were banned tomorrow, we have so many guns floating around, and guns have a significant lifespan. But what would happen is they would become a much more expensive commodity and collectors would hoard them. They would be much harder for criminals and nut cases who snap to get their hands on. You would eventually see a major decrease in shooting deaths.

But that's never going to happen, at least in my lifetime, because the 2nd amendment isn't going anywhere and we have a sizeable population with a morbid fascination and a percentage of those people who think they are the only thing stopping a leftist tyrannical government from enslaving them.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:20 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So true, the only reason it has worked in places like Australia (obviously a lot less people), where they did the "ban and confiscation" is because they don't have the crazy gun culture like we do in the US. Sorry to say that ship has sailed, and we would have to go back 300 years and start over if you don't want the crazy gun obsession we have now in the US that is ingrained into our minds starting before we got our independence from England.
It really has not worked in Australia, violent crime has escalated and in the major cities, gangs control the streets. They know that potential victims won't be armed.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It really has not worked in Australia, violent crime has escalated and in the major cities, gangs control the streets. They know that potential victims won't be armed.
Gun death rates in the U.S. were 11.2 per 100,000 people in 2015. That compares to a rate of 1.2 per 100,000 people in Australia.

From 1979-1996 (before gun law reforms), 13 fatal mass shootings occurred in Australia, whereas from 1997 through May 2016 (after gun law reforms), no fatal mass shootings occurred.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, you can not compare the two, one being the obvious population disparity and two and the most important is the gun culture in the US is too ingrained into our society, unless we go back to 1716 or early and redo history over again, the gun culture in the US is here for infinity!

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Gun death rates in the U.S. were 11.2 per 100,000 people in 2015. That compares to a rate of 1.2 per 100,000 people in Australia.

From 1979-1996 (before gun law reforms), 13 fatal mass shootings occurred in Australia, whereas from 1997 through May 2016 (after gun law reforms), no fatal mass shootings occurred.
They have had some mass arsons in Australia since then, probably because of the lack of guns. Take out the gang run cities in the US and our murder rate compares with Europe. The problem is gangs and evil people. Without guns, they will kill with something.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They have had some mass arsons in Australia since then, probably because of the lack of guns. Take out the gang run cities in the US and our murder rate compares with Europe. The problem is gangs and evil people. Without guns, they will kill with something.

Conveniently avoiding the topic of mass shootings. Seen a lot of that in recent gun control debates. Translation: I want my toys and I don't care about mass shootings enough to limit access to them.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:12 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Conveniently avoiding the topic of mass shootings. Seen a lot of that in recent gun control debates. Translation: I want my toys and I don't care about mass shootings enough to limit access to them.
You don't want to limit access to them. You want to ban them. Nothing short of banning them and making the existing ones illegal to own, will limit access to them.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You are NOT going to eliminate the mass shootings. When you accept that, you might be able to reason.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:42 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have over 2000 gun laws. What else do you suggest? Even a complete "ban and confiscation" won't solve our people problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
The problem with gun control of any type is that it is of no benefit to either party. It is just a restriction.
Completely agree with both of you. What I was pointing out is that even if disarming America was a good idea, it is for all intents and purposes impossible. It requires a new Constitutional Amendment -- which requires a majority vote in 38 of the 50 states.

The ban on open and concealed carry in Illinois didn't die because the Illinois legislature had a change of heart. It died because the Supreme Court struck down those laws because they are unconstitutional. Pass a federal or state law that manages to make the AR-15 semiautomatic illegal and the SCOTUS would have no choice but to strike it down as well. Pass a federal limit on capacity and that'd get struck down as well. The 2nd Amendment references the right to bear arms in the context of a militia. Today, we call that the National Guard. What weapons should the National Guard be allowed to have? That's the measuring stick for the intent of the 2nd Amendment. Now lawmakers will likely get away with laws that banning many different types of weapons and the federal courts will look the other way. They do so in full knowledge that they're failing to uphold the Constitution -- but it's probably for the best that most Americans can't own an M-1 tank, an RPG or a Howitzer artillery piece. I just don't foresee the SCOTUS letting anything more restrictive than what's already in place.

It all comes down to the 2nd Amendment. If you don't like it, repeal it. If you can't repeal it, live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies