Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson...eld_hijackings ? Munich Olympics? The hijackings to Cuba? Other hijackings? The IRA? Left Wing domestic terrorism? Diplomatic kidnappings? Others?

In my memory, it seems like it was rather a violent time, where there was an incident, for one cause or another, every few weeks if not just a couple of days.

I now look at the current era and I imagine to this "innocent" generation, the times must seem quite terrible, if not on the level of end of the world.

I wonder, though, if our, that is of the public, perspective of how things are seen is really that much different from how they were seen in the late 60's through the late 70s. Mind you, I'm not discounting the 80s such as General Dozier's kidnapping, the USO bombing, Lockerbie, etc..; just focusing on that particular era perhaps because I was a child during that time.

Granted, back then we only had the evening news, the newspapers, and the radio news (and it may have actually been news). Now, we have 24 hour, terrible images on demand.

Is it any different? Is it just a factor that at first it is a shock but then one gets "use to it"?

I don't know but to me, it's not like this wave of attacks is "new". Terrible, yes, but not "new".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
What's 'new' is the randomness nowadays and the lack of 'political' messages associated with these attacks. All you mentioned were tied to a specific issue or cause... now, whatever get's filtered out after an incident is just random.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 AM

754 posts, read 486,142 times
The death tolls tend to be much higher.

Terrorist groups in Europe like the IRA targeted British security forces, sometimes killing a handful of civilians, but death tolls from Islamic terrorism seems to be off the scale in comparison. I mean 9/11 was a terrorist atrocity I'm not sure we'll ever see in our lifetimes again (at least I hope not), 130 killed in Paris last year, 192 in the Madrid bombings in 2004, 56 in London 2005.

Islamic terrorism can even claim the deadliest mass shooting in US history, with the Orlando shooter killing 49 last month. Insane scores of deaths, the IRA or ETA (Basque separatists) can't even claim these numbers.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
What's 'new' is the randomness nowadays and the lack of 'political' messages associated with these attacks. All you mentioned were tied to a specific issue or cause... now, whatever get's filtered out after an incident is just random.
Well, not all of what I touched on, but most of them. Such as I recall from back then, in the Stars & Stripes, a brief story of an ambassador's daughter being found dead tied to a tree. I don't recall who it was, what country, the date, or the reason (and Net searches over the years have been fruitless), but I remember......perhaps because I was in another country on a diplomatic passport.

Further, the ones I touched on were just examples; wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...s_in_the_1970s has a list of many, many incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
The death tolls tend to be much higher.

Terrorist groups in Europe like the IRA targeted British security forces, .....
Well, that's the interesting thing. Around 1968, the Middle Eastern ones figured out, I think it was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Nidal but I am not sure, that it was much more efficient to hijack airliners than just to kill Israeli soldiers.

Can't argue the death tolls.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Terrorism in the 70s was primarily Palestinian terrorism, and it was not Islamic. It was leftist. Targets were mostly planes and hijackings. I do remember an airport attack at the Rome airport or somewhere of the kind we see now. People were gunned down gathering at ticket counters. I also recall bombs being placed in those lockers that were common at every airport. Can you even imagine having them today?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:29 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Information and opinions spreads so fast... the time to take in the facts and assess situations properly are left in the dust.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Terrorism in the 70s was primarily Palestinian terrorism, and it was not Islamic. It was leftist. Targets were mostly planes and hijackings. I do remember an airport attack at the Rome airport or somewhere of the kind we see now. People were gunned down gathering at ticket counters. I also recall bombs being placed in those lockers that were common at every airport. Can you even imagine having them today?
You may be thinking of Pan Am 110
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_R..._and_hijacking

What 9/11 was to many people, Pan Am 110 was to me. The daughter of one of my community was badly burned in that attack.

I must congratulate you in recognizing that Palestinian does not necessarily mean Islamic. It is an argument I have over and over with people.

Got to run.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:46 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
On one level, 70s terrorism was inspired by national liberation movements. The IRA, PLO, and even nice Canada's FLQ would fit into that category. Possibly the Black Panthers as well, but not quite like the rest.

On another level, you had groups, obviously Leftist-inspired, who attacked "the System", financial, military, whatever. Many were carry overs from the 60s. Examples abound. The RAF in Germany, Italy's Red Brigades, and the Weather Underground and SLA in the US.

And of course there was always crossover. The IRA wanted the British out and then to turn Ireland into Cuba.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You may be thinking of Pan Am 110
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_R..._and_hijacking

What 9/11 was to many people, Pan Am 110 was to me. The daughter of one of my community was badly burned in that attack.

I must congratulate you in recognizing that Palestinian does not necessarily mean Islamic. It is an argument I have over and over with people.

Got to run.
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I had to read the wiki page to remember the details. I only remembered the attack in the terminal building. Didn't remember anything about subsequent hijackings. After reading the piece, I asked myself if exactly the same thing couldn't happen today. I have to say after 40 years, two wars, 10s of thousands of dead people and 20 years of modern terrorism, it still could happen today. The forced boarding of the plane through the terminal is hard to pull off today. They stormed the plane by running on the tarmac, something not very practical today although we still have plenty of smaller airports that board that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies