Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times

Advertisements

When I saw this thread's title, I immediately thought "Great, someone thought that since there are brownies, they must be laced with pot, so they called the cops".

It is amazing to me that we as a society have reached such a state of hyper-sensitivity that there are actually three reasons why a single harmless word like "brownie" can set off such cop-calling hysteria.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Like the cops in NJ don't have anything better to do.

Wait, nobody is protesting that the Brownies need to change their name to something else? Or is that next?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The answer to your three questions is, "people afraid of the parents in your last statement".
The whole reason that administrators, police, etc. make these decisions is because they have been sued, and zero tolerance is exactly how you avoid losing those lawsuits.
I'm not buying that.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:20 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The answer to your three questions is, "people afraid of the parents in your last statement".
The whole reason that administrators, police, etc. make these decisions is because they have been sued, and zero tolerance is exactly how you avoid losing those lawsuits.
How could the police be sued for telling the school administrators that something a 3rd grader says that doesn't involve violence or threats is their problem not the police department's problem? Maybe the police should sue the school district but then I suppose some judge would say, "Well, who are the idiots who responded?" You know what's going to happen don't you? The school will ban brownies.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:21 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
You actually won the lawsuit? They're paying for her homeschooling all the way through 12th grade?

I sure wish more parents would sue their school districts over stuff like this - the potential pay-outs would be huge, due to the deep pockets of most school districts.

Young attorneys wishing to rocket-launch their careers should be licking their chops over stuff like this...
It didnt make it to court. In retrospect I wish it had. They played hardball for the year it took to get to court then settled the week before. Unfortunately for them they talk too much and said really nasty things about my granddaughter and got me pissed off. Big mistake.
But if I had known all the crap like this going around at the time I would have pushed it thru court.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
If you read the article more closely, you'll see that the student made some kind of unspecified remark containing the word 'brownie' that someone thought was racist. So it wasn't just the word 'brownie' but some other, unspecified context in which it was used.

It may have been cause for discipline, idk, but the crazy part is the way that teachers there are ordered to report everything to police, and police are ordered to report everything to the state.
Agree. No matter what the kid said or how he meant it. It wasn't a police matter. Next party - cheese and crackers.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
This may well bring about the death of brownie points.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
If you read the article more closely, you'll see that the student made some kind of unspecified remark containing the word 'brownie' that someone thought was racist. So it wasn't just the word 'brownie' but some other, unspecified context in which it was used.

It may have been cause for discipline, idk, but the crazy part is the way that teachers there are ordered to report everything to police, and police are ordered to report everything to the state.
It was the mother who claims the reason the police were called was because of the word brownie. The "reporter" didn't appear to have tried to verify the story with the school or the police or she would have said so in the article.

If the police were actually called, I suspect it was because the child had said something which was perceived to be a threat.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Gotta raise the BS flag on this one. I can't believe that even what even passes for administration and educators in schools these days would be that moronic. Gotta be satire. Was this from The Onion?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-29-2016 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 03:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Idiotic "zero tolerance" policies put in place in nearly all school districts across the country as a result of public pressure back in the 90s.

Now, we see how truly stupid they are. Yet they're still in place.
Zero tolerance policies, are the precise definition of stupid !

You show me someone who advocates a zero tolerance policy for almost anything, and I'll show you someone who has no critical thinking skills, lacks common sense, and doesn't know that life decisions rarely come neatly packaged in a black/white scenario. There are tons of "grey" scenarios, and anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that.

This type of person isn't suitable for living in a multi-cultural modern society....and certainly isn't acceptable to be in any type of leadership role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies