Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 499,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinayTamara View Post
I should also add that the most common destination for the OFW's from Philippines is still the Middle East believe it or not, esp in Saudi Arabia b/c the visas are plentiful and lots of jobs in oil and domestic services there. But more and more we're going to a lot of different places.
Hm doesn't surprise me, when I was working briefly in Dubai seems like all the staff I met was either from the Philippines or southern India. Great people, friendly and seemed like they could all speak about 4 or 5 languages, though I sometimes wondered if I'd ever run into the native-born citizens, it's like they were nowhere to be found.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 PM

47 posts, read 23,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Hm doesn't surprise me, when I was working briefly in Dubai seems like all the staff I met was either from the Philippines or southern India. Great people, friendly and seemed like they could all speak about 4 or 5 languages, though I sometimes wondered if I'd ever run into the native-born citizens, it's like they were nowhere to be found.
Plus lots of Europeans in Dubai, esp Brits and Germans for some reason. The Pinoy community jokes about that a lot, we take a lot of Arabic classes in school because the OFW community goes to the Middle East more than anywhere else, yet when we actually get to Dubai or Kuwait, you hear far more Tagalog, Hindi, Tamil, Chinese, English and German than you do Arabic. Even the locals sometimes joke that Dubai is the "least Arab city in Arabia". To be fair Dubai's nice though, if you get a good job there I'd say it s better than even more foreign assignments in Europe or North America.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Why are so many non-Asians migrating to Asia?
Cost of living.
Cost of medical care.
Tired of the Dems and the GOP BS
Depending where you go the weather.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Why are so many non-Asians migrating to Asia?
Cost of living.
Cost of medical care.
Tired of the Dems and the GOP BS
Depending where you go the weather.
Not a lot are moving to Asia. It's mostly 65+ and a few countries make it enticing for those in that bracket to move, like Malaysia

Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not a lot are moving to Asia. It's mostly 65+ and a few countries make it enticing for those in that bracket to move, like Malaysia
Practically everyone I know moving to Asia is fairly young, or at least prime working age. I don't really know that many retirees doing it, they seem more bent on going to places like Panama or Costa Rica, or other big retirement places. The newspaper articles I read on this also focus overwhelmingly on the younger group going, though hard to know if that itself is representative sample or most just because it's interesting interviews. But clearly a lot of people moving to Asia to start families and careers there, including many born in the US which is telling

Old 03-18-2017, 09:58 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
TS wants us to speculate on a piece of Russian propaganda. If only TS could read Russian media, it is full of stories about immediate, immense decline and fall of the decadent soulless west.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:08 AM

I used to know lots of Asians. I would guess #1 issue they have is social isolation, what is the point for that big house (American dream degenerated to) under those circumstances? they belong to the cultures that are much more social than USA, it takes major brain chemistry adjustments to get used to American superficiality and alienation. but whatever their personal discomfort, money talks, the Asians I knew would do anything to get citizenship and stay here.

Last edited by RememberMee; 03-18-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinayTamara View Post
As I watch the US health insurance nightmare unfolding from overseas, I'm still baffled at how this seemingly great and powerful country is so stymied by a failure that even small countries abroad have almost universally figured out, even more so given the mounting evidence that the health care failure is destroying the skilled workforce base of the US economy. My husband and I traveled back to Taiwan to the office of his old company, to find about a half dozen new American workers (not all of them even Asian-American) who decided to post themselves up there permanently. A similar pattern down in Buenos Aires Argentina that we just left, and now in Italy that we were just posted to. Young Americans, professionals, very skilled, hard working and moving to start their own companies. Many reasons, obviously the job opportunities themselves a big factor.

But one thing we heard from everyone- a lot of relief that they never, ever have to worry about medical bills again, or going bankrupt from medical costs, all the time and hassle gone and taken care of. That peace of mind is worth a lot- you could say it's worth more than any monetary amount- and yet, the taxes in these countries really aren't that much higher than in the United States. The difference is, taxes in places like Taiwan, Argentina, Italy and France are used to provide basic services to the people, like health care and education, while the similar level of taxes in America- higher if you're doing your own business- don't go to help the American people at all. Instead it all goes to corruption, or war. This is what 3rd world countries look like. It might have been tolerable a decade ago, but US healthcare costs are so high, it's becoming intolerable, even for professionals and wealthy entrepreneurs, to afford US health insurance and childcare, while also paying high US taxes and getting nothing in return for those taxes. And the hemorrhage is only just starting.

So OP, it looks like it's not just Asian Americans, it's Americans from all stripes leaving the country, and going to Asia and places elsewhere for a similar reason. The broken, busted US health care system is probably a bigger reason for all this US emigration than may seem apparent at first. American professionals aren't going to put up with this system that bankrupts them, and makes it impossible to afford and raise kids, when there are better systems and opportunities in other countries. This is brain drain, and the US is now the victim.
simple, USA is like a racing course, people exist to get ahead of each other not to make life bearable for as many people as possible. Americans would tolerate intolerable for as long as it gives them an edge in the race.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 AM

47 posts, read 23,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
simple, USA is like a racing course, people exist to get ahead of each other not to make life bearable for as many people as possible. Americans would tolerate intolerable for as long as it gives them an edge in the race.
No idea what you're even trying to say here, how the USA's bloated, inefficient, incredibly corrupt and broken healthcare system give it an "edge"? Like a ton of people have been pointing out, it deters capable people from coming here and pushes others away. By your naive reasoning, countries like Afghanistan, Somalia and Burma should be dominating the world since they're so vicious and brutal, and everyone is just trying to get ahead of everyone else. Things don't work that way in the real world. People have to trust each other enough to form a working community and invest in each other and future generations, in reality you need that long term support and mutual assistance to create the institutions that then create a high economy and educated, healthy workforce. That's, you know, what makes a first world country. The kind of naive Darwinianism you seem to subscribe to is what creates hellholes on earth like Somalia and Burma. And it seems to be what America is heading in the direction of, which will not only make it a terrible place to live but also a weak, broken power internationally.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
TS wants us to speculate on a piece of Russian propaganda. If only TS could read Russian media, it is full of stories about immediate, immense decline and fall of the decadent soulless west.
You've got some strange conspiracy mind-set going there. This has nothing to do with Russia at all or propaganda of any sort, this thread has been about concrete issues leading a subpopulatiion of Americans and immigrants to go overseas, with cost of living in the US, better opportunities abroad, and health care and education and child care costs being the main factors emerging. Very practical, nuts and bolts issues that people having to deal with making a living and raising a family have to deal with, something you seem to be very ignorant about. BTW it's not anti-Western in any way, I started the thread with an interest in Asian-Americans doing this in big part because of Asian-American members of my own family and some friends going in this direction, and because of the growing number of news articles documenting this phenomenon. But if anything from what I can tell, based on pure numbers far more Americans these days, especially young Americans are packing up and moving for good to other places in the West. Especially places in Europe like Finland, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Italy and esp. Germany where they can get a low cost college education without student loans, and more and more of them are staying there. This isn't an anti-Western screed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies