Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Imagine how many unsolved murders, thefts, robberies, car-jacking, assaults, etc could be solved if that were the case.

Let's get body cams for everyone. I'm sure crime rates would plummet. haha
We are not that far from that. We are approaching an era where every public space will be under a camera except for the bathrooms. And that will be a good thing.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
[quote=AminWi;44674332]Personally, I don't see this as discriminatory. Companies make value judgements every time they hire someone. They decide which qualifications are important and which are not. There is nothing inherent about what makes a qualified candidate. If a company decides that it is in their best interest to have people with all different backgrounds, representing all different parts of their community, I think that is valid. Personally, I work for a company that has undergone a big diversity push. There was a lot of scoffing by the old guard at first, but I think we are a much better company with much better products and happier customers as a result.

In what universe is 'we needed managers of color' not discriminatory?

Would you say it wasn't discriminatory had he said 'we needed white managers'?

Say you were lying on an operating table in that hospital awaiting bypass surgery, would you want to be told they only looked to hire surgeons of color or that they looked to hire the best, most qualified surgeons available, whether they were white, black, yellow, red, or any other color under the sun?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I appreciate your response. I think that this is a really good example of how blacks and whites talk PAST each other. My comment was not at all meant to give cops a pass on committing murder! It really is an honest question about why the black community focuses media attention only on the lives of black men killed by law enforcement and not on the incredibly higher number of black lives taken due to black on black killings within black communities?

I would not ask the question if the focus on this issue was not called "Black Lives Matter" because that seems to indicate that ALL BLACK LIVES MATTER. If that were true, then activists should be talking about ALL the black lives lost regardless of the murderer's color or profession.

If the purpose of the movement is to focus on the death of black men at the hands of white police officers, then why is the movement not called something like "Protect Black Lives from Police." IMO THAT would make a clear statement and no one would ask about why black on black crime is being ignored (at least that is the perception).

You have stated much more eloquently what I was trying to say and I agree completely with you regarding the dynamics with in the "black community." And I further agree that using that term is not intended to imply that all black people in America walk in lock step as a large and monolithic group. Just like there is not a "white community" where all white people are in lock step.

Thanks for sharing your views, THIS is how we come together and learn how to communicate and learn and understand where we all are coming from and why some statements offend when that was not the intention.

Here is something I read on Twitter that represents some of what I think is problem with communicating about race related issues.

Thought more on what was said so decided to edit:

ETA On the above, black media does not focus only on white cops murdering black people. It is white owned mainstream media that does this. I believe it is done deliberately to keep us fractured as a public of American citizens.

Black Lives Matter chose their title based on their belief that the criminal justice system dismisses the lives of black people.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 AM

[quote=burdell;44674941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Personally, I don't see this as discriminatory. Companies make value judgements every time they hire someone. They decide which qualifications are important and which are not. There is nothing inherent about what makes a qualified candidate. If a company decides that it is in their best interest to have people with all different backgrounds, representing all different parts of their community, I think that is valid. Personally, I work for a company that has undergone a big diversity push. There was a lot of scoffing by the old guard at first, but I think we are a much better company with much better products and happier customers as a result.

In what universe is 'we needed managers of color' not discriminatory?

Would you say it wasn't discriminatory had he said 'we needed white managers'?

Say you were lying on an operating table in that hospital awaiting bypass surgery, would you want to be told they only looked to hire surgeons of color or that they looked to hire the best, most qualified surgeons available, whether they were white, black, yellow, red, or any other color under the sun?
On the red. I am black and worked at a company where our management was nearly all black. People there were always saying we needed some "white managers." We purposefully went out and recruited white people to be managers as a result.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:19 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
Do you care that black people are a disproportionate cause of violent crime in this country and that most of their victims are other black people?

When are black people going to start caring about that and changing their culture? Guess what... the glorified ghetto rapper lifestyle is not doing young black people any favors.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Let's face it history has pushed blacks into a position where they share much more in common with those of their hue than whites share with other whites. White guy shot by black cop ain't gonna make the news. Because, yes, we don't really care. The odds of an innocent white guy being shot by the cops are pretty low.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
I believe this is a wonderful thing that this person did...and btw, a lot of us do care when Blacks get killed.
The problem is, that some blacks believe they are above the law....
These last two shootings for me, well, quit frankly, I want to hear what the investigations bring about....

If you want change, you have to make change (you meaning people in general)
Change begins in the home...I was discussing this with a director who is black and she says the same thing...yes, there is racism, and always will be...and yes, there are bad cops....
However, there are also cops who are out there who care, my son works with a cop who shot someone in the leg...and he was extremely upset. I watched a video, where another cop shot an older man, at night, who was hard of hearing, got out of his truck, reached behind the seat for his cane, but at night, it looks like a gun. The cop sat there and cried, "if only he'd have listened".
There are two sides to every story....and a lot of these people who are being shot, have records, a mile long.

Change has to start at home...all these gangs out there who provoke cops, are also giving themselves a bad name, so it works both ways, only thing is, no one takes a video of a black person provoking a cop.

So, my point is, instead of being cop haters, be crime haters and lets all together start cleaning up crime.

This is a very good thread you started...and I'm glad your willing to see both sides.

I know a lot of very successful blacks and belong to a church that is predominately black. They don't put up with this, and they wouldn't tollerate their kids acting like this....
They've never had any problems....
I know that there are some cops, that are bad...however, that doesn't speak for all of them....and what about black cops, you think they're bad to?
I just believe there is a whole lot more to take into consideration here, then what meets the eye on a video....
You have to know, what started this, what was the perps intensions, was the perp armed, did he have prior arrests...did he resist arrest?

I'm sorry, but the law is the law...and if we continue like this, we will have a land of lawlessness. I saw a minister pleading with the mayor to do something. Why isn't he pleading with all those black parents to raise their kids with respect for others, to raise them to understand, that breaking the law can get you in trouble. The majority of these shootings are b/c these people resisted arrest and ran....or tried to run....

Now believe me, I know there have been incidents that are unjust, however, that doesn't speak for most cops.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:

Here is a story---

The point: I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Of course this is just for some whites (don't want to paint a broad brush) but they don't care when it happens to whites either. As long as it's not them or their family...THEY DON'T CARE.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let's face it history has pushed blacks into a position where they share much more in common with those of their hue than whites share with other whites. White guy shot by black cop ain't gonna make the news. Because, yes, we don't really care. The odds of an innocent white guy being shot by the cops are pretty low.
I don't believe this.

There have been many "innocent" white people shot and killed by white police.

FWIW black people also get upset and protest when black police are involved in the murdering of black citizens. Freddie Gray was in the custody of both black and white officers. Scott Walker's killer was covered up by a black officer (he received a LOT of vitriol on black talk radio, you all just don't see this in your media).

I personally remember a white teenager in GA being murdered by a white, female police officer when he answered the door of his trailer park. The officer shot him as soon as he opened the door because she said she thought he had a gun. He had a Wii remote control. She was not punished for killing this young man who wanted to join the military. It was very sad and sickening. No white people other than those at the trailer park where he lived seemed to be outraged about it. He was not a criminal. The officers were at his home to serve a warrant for his father, not him.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not if they threatened someone with a gun who called the police, resisted arrest, and tried to pull a gun on cops....odds go up millions times more than someone that didn't do those things.

I'm not sure if the cops knew that this scumbag raped a 14 year old, had weapons violations, drug dealer, and had attacked cops in the past. If they did, it just again demonstrates their professionalism to neutralize this threat to others and themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies