Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Thank you for posting this -- Dallas has really worked hard to better Racial Tensions. They work closely with the Justice Department and participate in DOJ programs. It's serious business in Dallas, which has always had a lot of Racial Tensions.

For those who don't know:

1) Dallas City is not full of "rich people", the wealthy areas are in the Suburbs (for the most part) that surround Dallas. Much of Dallas is minority with a large Hispanic population, large Black population & large Muslim population. Crime is pretty low, but rising fast in the last couple of years. Ferguson Effect.
2) Contrary to popular belief - Dallas is more "Liberal" than Austin or Houston.
3) Chief Brown has a funding problem - the salaries for the Dallas PD are WAY lower than the Salaries for surrounding areas. He lost 40 Officers in May 2016, the June Academy class was cancelled because there weren't enough new hires to even hold a class. He is in a battle with the Police Unions and Morale is in the Tank. Not only that - but Dallas has 2 Police Unions. A Black Union & a White Union.
4) Chief Brown is a career Police Officer/City Employee in Dallas - he rose through the ranks. His former Police Chief was Mike Kumpel (former City Manager & then Police Chief from Arlington, TX bright in to correct a lot of problems, which he did) and when Kumpel retired - instead of going outside the Department - he recommended David Brown, who was his Deputy Chief.
Dallas took that recommendation and Dallas had a Black Police Chief that was well respected.
5) On the day of David Brown's swearing in as Chief of Police - there was a shooting in South Dallas. A black kid on drugs started shooting - killed a Cop and then the Police killed him. The entire thing was very, very tense. David Brown calmed everyone down and it wasn't easy.

That dead drugged up Black kid was his son.

I have a LOT of respect for this man - he doesn't walk an easy path and it appears to get more difficult daily. I used to work in Dallas, I don't go there often any more - but I do keep up with local news.
He is sick at heart over what's happening in his City. So am I.
I am a huge fan of David Brown and your post is largely accurate.

One thing I'd like to correct though is this: David Brown's son WAS killed as you describe. However, this did not occur on the day David Brown was sworn in. It happened about a month and a half after he was sworn in. David Brown was sworn into office on May 4, 2010 and his son was shot and killed in a police shootout (after he killed a police officer and a civilian) on June 20, 2010.

His son was mentally ill as well as on drugs (as if often the case with mentally ill people). This is one reason why Chief Brown has made training in dealing with mentally ill people a big part of the police training program in Dallas.

His police partner was also killed in the line of duty in 1988. His brother was killed by a drug dealer in 1991.

Police Chief David Brown unfortunately has had a lot of experience on both sides of the coin when it comes to violence, mental illness, the drug trade and life on the streets.

He is one of the most transparent officials in the US. He has implemented 200 body cams in the force and plans to increase that number to 1000. He put the first ones on officers who had been disciplined or investigated for excessive force. He has aggressively and publicly terminated the careers of officers who have been found to have used unnecessary violence or force.

David Brown, Dallas Police Chief: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

Old 07-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It isn't just cable news, it's all our "mainstream" news sources and some particularly vile politicians. Those that push every incident in order to promote their agenda, while ignoring the facts of every case, commenting before the facts are in or flat out lying. Look back starting with Michael Brown. A 300 lb thug and bully who assaulted a store owner and robbed the store before assaulting a police officer and attempting to take his gun is pictured in the media as he was as a 12 year old child and a bunch of media idiots promote a "hands up don't shoot" lie in order to inflame the more ignorant of the public. Tuesday a criminal, with a long history of violent crime and rape threatens to kill an innocent person with a gun, ignores the orders of police sent to collect him, combats them and reaches for his gun before police finally shoot him. Media portrays him as "a good boy" killed by "racist" cops. And some particularly vile politicians and government employees play along to promote an agenda (Oblubber and Lynch) and blame the cops for this thugs death. Another case is promoted as a case of police shooting an innocent black who according to his GF (herself with a criminal record) had a concealed weapons permit. Only thing is no one can produce any record of the permit, he was stopped because he and the GF resembled suspects in an armed robbery (not an often repeated lie of a broken taillight). And again our pathetic politicians and media present that story, without resorting to getting any facts or listening to any other side of the story. Which, in this case, none of us know at this time.

These parasites bear a large share of the responsibility for fanning the flames of racial hatred and divisiveness...and bear a share of the responsibility for the dead in Dallas, let alone other cops slaughtered by morons in the last couple of years.

It would be really nice if we had some leadership in our nation, not a president that plays the part of a perpetual, whiny victim. One that supports those that put their lives on the line for the public and not one that supports criminals and terrorists. I must be old, I remember when we actually had such a person in the White House.
I am picking up what you're putting down, especially the comments about the media and national leadership.

I do not hold Obama responsible in any way for these senseless killings, but I do think he is the most divisive President we have ever had in that office. And I despise ALL major media outlets and reporters who apparently are so unprofessional that they simply can't seem to control their urge to inject their own political agenda into every single situation.

That's why, on the night of these killings, I turned off ALL major network news and turned to local Dallas news sources for my information. That information from the local stations was MUCH more accurate than anything on the major networks.

Disgusting.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,364 times

I wonder if this video influenced his decision to kill the white people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obuZpjv9hv0

Old 07-09-2016, 09:26 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,234,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Eddie Murphy is great, thanks.

It was probably a little Bob Marley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XiYUYcpsT4

Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obuZpjv9hv0

OK, I have a funny story to tell about that exact video.

I have biracial kids. I also used to absolutely LOVE SNL. The two facts are loosely related.

Back in the day when VCR tapes were all the rage, I had a copy of the Best of SNL and this skit was on it. I guess my kids had seen this video, though I didn't recall them watching it - but you know how songs will just stick in your head, right?

Well, we had a death in the family (on the "white" side of the family) and so off we went to a tiny little town in Arkansas, to a tiny little country church, to attend the funeral. My kids were the only "people of color" in the congregation.

Imagine my horror when, just before the service began, I looked over and my two boys, ages 3 and 5, were swaying back and forth in their pew and singing, "Kill de white people!" - the song from this exact video!

"BEHAVE YOURSELVES!" Sheeze! So much for race relations that day!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Eddie Murphy is great, thanks.

It was probably a little Bob Marley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XiYUYcpsT4
Surely compatible!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 AM

30,449 posts, read 19,211,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No he made some terrible comments. He was just spewing hate at the mouth.

He's supposed to be a Preacher. I seriously doubt he has a following.
Before the march, he sounded like a black preacher....I was kind of embarrassed for him. After the shooting, he actually seemed to pull back a bit from his comment stirring up the hate.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Before the march, he sounded like a black preacher....I was kind of embarrassed for him. After the shooting, he actually seemed to pull back a bit from his comment stirring up the hate.
Did you see the noon ceremony at Thanksgiving square? There were 3-4 Black preachers and leaders who spoke and none sounded like this guy. They talked about love and standing together.

Now if you had said a racist like Al Sharpton, JJ or even Obama, I'd agree. Most Black Preachers don't talk like this just as most white Baptist preachers don't also.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats the point. When instructed by a policemen to do something you must COMPLY. Unfortunately there are still innocent people who die and its not just a black issue. Cops are trigger happy because they are under massive stress with every stop.
Gee, maybe that's because anyone could have a gun in their car! Now the cops don't have to be wary of just criminals, but ANYONE and EVERYONE!

You want a gun for home defense? Fine. Keep it in your home!!!

There! Now wouldn't that relieve some of the stress on cops?

Old 07-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Gee, maybe that's because anyone could have a gun in their car! Now the cops don't have to be wary of just criminals, but ANYONE and EVERYONE!

You want a gun for home defense? Fine. Keep it in your home!!!

There! Now wouldn't that relieve some of the stress on cops?
I don't get it. If every law abiding person did not carry a gun in their car how would this help Cops ?

How are they to know who's law abiding and someone who is a criminal and would ignore the law? These people don't legally carry guns since most are felons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies