Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

One of the best ways to corrupt your mitochondria, is to deny fiber from your consumption.

A lot of suiciders dip their microwaved pork rinds into a dish of margarine.

Mitochondria, Energetics, Epigenetics, and Cellular Responses to Stress

Daniel T. Shaughnessy,1 Kimberly McAllister,1 Leroy Worth,1 Astrid C. Haugen,1 Joel N. Meyer,2
Frederick E. Domann,3 Bennett Van Houten,4 Raul Mostoslavsky,5 Scott J. Bultman,6 Andrea A. Baccarelli,7
Thomas J. Begley,8 Robert W. Sobol,4,9 Matthew D. Hirschey,10 Trey Ideker,11,12 Janine H. Santos,13
William C. Copeland,14 Raymond R. Tice,15 David M. Balshaw,1 and Frederick L. Tyson1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
All this talk about what we can see on the surface, and not many bother to see that we're being attacked on the inside.

No, I'm not talking about inside the US, but rather, inside our bodies. Apart from the countless chemicals added to the food we eat multiple times per day, there are also genetically modified organisms, which have never been tested on humans for long-term safety.

Read the ingredients then do the research: basically, if your food has colors (red, yellow, blue, etc), nitrates, caramel coloring, or is made of soy/corn/wheat (most of which is genetically modified), there are strong independent studies to suggest that these lead to a whole host of ailments, including cancer.

Just for some perspective, countries like Japan and Switzerland (and many others) actually ban a majority of ingredients that are put into our food here in the US.

We die slowly with new, crazy illnesses popping up every day, but not many people stop to question why.
There aren't always explanations why these foods affect people so differently. I'm sure it has a lot to do with our genetics, where our ancestors came from and much more about THEIR lives than our own.

I believe good health for the most people lies in DNA research into our backgrounds and our ancestry. Also in repairing bad genes when the tech becomes available.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:07 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
All this talk about what we can see on the surface, and not many bother to see that we're being attacked on the inside.

No, I'm not talking about inside the US, but rather, inside our bodies. Apart from the countless chemicals added to the food we eat multiple times per day, there are also genetically modified organisms, which have never been tested on humans for long-term safety.

Read the ingredients then do the research: basically, if your food has colors (red, yellow, blue, etc), nitrates, caramel coloring, or is made of soy/corn/wheat (most of which is genetically modified), there are strong independent studies to suggest that these lead to a whole host of ailments, including cancer.

Just for some perspective, countries like Japan and Switzerland (and many others) actually ban a majority of ingredients that are put into our food here in the US.

We die slowly with new, crazy illnesses popping up every day, but not many people stop to question why.
Well, if you're going to eat plants, eat them with fiber unmolested by corporations.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There aren't always explanations why these foods affect people so differently. I'm sure it has a lot to do with our genetics, where our ancestors came from and much more about THEIR lives than our own.

I believe good health for the most people lies in DNA research into our backgrounds and our ancestry. Also in repairing bad genes when the tech becomes available.
Maybe true, but wouldn't you also agree that these additives act as antagonists to our health in general?

I mean, they're not necessary for our survival, so either they have a negative or neutral effect.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:

Secondly, the genetic modification you speak of had nothing to do with human consumption.
You literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that.

So why were these people thousands of years ago modifying wheat, rice, cattle and hogs for if not consumption? Did they want to breed pigs for more entertaining hog wrasslin' shows?

Humans have been gentically modifying most of our food since we stopped being hunter/gatherers.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Humans have been gentically modifying most of our food since we stopped being hunter/gatherers.
Genetic modification through selective breeding/planting is one thing. Splicing DNA from fish to make grapes withstand the cold better, or implanting pesticides into food crops is another.
Tweaking a chromosome or gene that is already present in the plant/animal is one thing, adding something completely new to the mix, especially if it is man made, is another.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only through very expensive, extreme medical intervention.

I know this thread is about genetically modified foods, but read these two books: Grain Brain and Wheat Belly.

Cut down on gluten and processed grain carbs.

I'm in my mid 50s. On no prescription meds. Have no health issues. BMI is just under 20 (19.8... 5'8" female). I surf, SUP, kayak in both the ocean and sound, hike with my tireless dogs, etc.
My mom is 86. Great health. No medications. BP 90/60. Does not know what gluten is.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Genetic modification through selective breeding/planting is one thing. Splicing DNA from fish to make grapes withstand the cold better, or implanting pesticides into food crops is another.
Tweaking a chromosome or gene that is already present in the plant/animal is one thing, adding something completely new to the mix, especially if it is man made, is another.
Pesticides are not "implanted" into food crops. Food crops may be engineered to make them resistant to particular pesticides, the best example of which is Roundup-ready soybeans, corn and wheat. Roundup works by inhibiting an enzyme naturally present in plants. In the genetically engineered plants, this enzyme has been replaced by a version which is resistant to this inhibition.

It's been shown that a single base-pair mutation is sufficient to confer this resistance. Such a mutation could easily occur naturally, but by engineering it the change is actually more controlled.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:

Meanwhile life expectancy has risen significantly.

But, you make a point. Those that follow a diet with no starch and those that exercise regularly to maintain normal weight are better off by avoiding diabetes type 2.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Meanwhile life expectancy has risen significantly.

But, you make a point. Those that follow a diet with no starch and those that exercise regularly to maintain normal weight are better off by avoiding diabetes type 2.
You forgot avoiding sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies