Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
If I ever win the lotto, one of the things I will do is a buy a property to rent to Section 8 people. Then I will do everything possible to make their as miserable as possible.

Actually...I previously lived in a town that gradually tightened regulation of rental housing, to the point where specific blocks were not allowed to have rental conversions (e.g. a landlord could not buy a house from a departing homeowner and turn it into a rental), and unrelated occupancy was limited to two individuals (making impossible to profitably rent to students who didn't have enough income to cover half the rent).

At the same time, families could enjoy much higher occupancy levels; I lived in a duplex where the other unit housed a family of six in 2 bedrooms. (one kid slept in the basement and the youngest on the living room couch)

If I had had the opportunity, I would have rented to a large Section 8 family in a heartbeat.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:36 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Section 8 + iPhone + married + can afford to buy Hummer = ??? ??? ??? ??? If she's married and they can afford to buy a Hummer, I don't see how they qualify for or deserve Section 8.
Unreported income. They're part of the underground economy. Unlicensed, unregistered business or an employee of such paid in cash - no reported income, no income tax, no FICA, and qualifies for every means-tested welfare program there is.

I see it all the time in service industries. Just had someone out to give me a quote on bush-hogging my Atlantic oceanfront yard/lot up to the western foot of the barrier dune (you don't EVER remove dune foliage, it prevents erosion and accelerates littoral property ownership accretion - my dune is actually moving eastward in this manner). Anyway, we agree on a price and I ask him how he wants to be paid. He wants cash or a check made out to him personally. Off the books. Unreported income. No doubt about it.

Interesting stat: about 50% of all illegal aliens either own or are employed by an underground economy business. None of that is reported. None of that is taxed, including FICA.

The bush-hogger I had out for a quote was a White guy. The underground economy is exploited by all races/ethnicities.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:53 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
This is why I retired early. I grew weary of working 50 - 60 hours a week, paying income taxes far beyond what most people gross, and then getting the constant message from the liberal elite and the gibs-me-dats that I should be paying even more so that others could sit on their duff all day and do nothing. I said screw it I have enough to live out my days and will no longer feed the beast.
You and me, both. I retired at 53. Live at the beach. Incredibly freeing. I'm no longer a tax slave.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You and me, both. I retired at 53. Live at the beach. Incredibly freeing. I'm no longer a tax slave.

So much for the highly vaunted work ethic. I'm a tax slave and a rent slave.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:59 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with asking if you accept Sect 8.

As long as they can pay their bills, including their portion of section 8, who cares how many TVs they have. Go buy yourself an extra one and leave them alone.

This comment is what is wrong with our Liberal society....No one wants to work hard, pay their taxes and then stand behind a welfare recipient at the grocery store with lobster and steaks in their cart at taxpayer expense.....I'm sick of it and so are the many others that think Trump will put an end to this BS PC crap.

If people have to pay their rent on the taxpayers dime luxuries for them should ALWAYS be frownned upon by the general public...Entitlement breeds more entitlement.....

Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Unreported income. They're part of the underground economy. Unlicensed, unregistered business or an employee of such paid in cash - no reported income, no income tax, no FICA, and qualifies for every means-tested welfare program there is.

I see it all the time in service industries. Just had someone out to give me a quote on bush-hogging my Atlantic oceanfront yard/lot up to the western foot of the barrier dune (you don't EVER remove dune foliage, it prevents erosion and accelerates littoral property ownership accretion - my dune is actually moving eastward in this manner). Anyway, we agree on a price and I ask him how he wants to be paid. He wants cash or a check made out to him personally. Off the books. Unreported income. No doubt about it.

Interesting stat: about 50% of all illegal aliens either own or are employed by an underground economy business. None of that is reported. None of that is taxed, including FICA.

The bush-hogger I had out for a quote was a White guy. The underground economy is exploited by all races/ethnicities.

But you have to have either marketable skills, or connections, to male that work.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Section 8 + iPhone + married + can afford to buy Hummer = ??? ??? ??? ??? If she's married and they can afford to buy a Hummer, I don't see how they qualify for or deserve Section 8.

Its called FRAUD, a word that Liberals don't think exists when it comes to welfare queens.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Well then your obvious solution is to stop working get rid of your rental property and go on welfare, sec.8, food stamps, etc., etc. You're obviously are some kind of chump, in your mind, if you don't. So get busy not working.
Its called PRIDE, something that the Hummer owner has none of....

Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
As a landlord in Cook County Illinois, I am prohibited by law from discriminating against someone who uses Section 8 to pay rent.

Basically, I'm required to accept it.

Also, in this particular town, since I don't live in Cook County, I am required to have a representative that DOES live in Cook County and provide their driver's license number, phone & home address to the city.

Not if they don't meet your income/screening standards. Unless Sec 8 pays you ALL of the rent - something that happens only if the tenant has zero reported income - their total income (including the rent portion paid by S8) must meet your income requirements.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Its called PRIDE, something that the Hummer owner has none of....

Isn't pride one ot the seven deadly sins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies