Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:57 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do not even try to sell me this, I used to work for AT&T, I know exactly how much that phone is costing you.

(Every 'you' from this point is a general 'you', not you specifically.)

If you can afford an iPhone, you don't need section 8 housing. If you bought the iPhone with all the money that you had, you don't need hand outs, you need training. I used to live with someone whose family didn't make a lot, but they made enough to be comfortable. Instead, they were poor every. single. month. and couldn't afford to pay the bills or eat good, healthy meals because they spent their money on garbage. Don't tell me how hungry you are, don't tell me how you can't afford laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid, don't tell me how you can't get your car fixed because you're so poor when you spend all of your money on absolute CRAP every. single. month.

That was not a borrowed phone, either. Enough with the excuses. I've seen poor people, and I've seen people who are poor because they think that they deserve everything, and I've seen people who are "poor" because they have multiple tvs, multiple cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc. That costs a LOT of money each month. I know how much the iPhones cost. I know how much they cost through contract. I know how much they cost to break that contract. I know the plans that are out there, even the grandfathered ones, so no, do not even try to sell me "it isn't that expensive". If you're asking for a hand out because you claim to be too poor to pay rent, the iPhone is NOT an expense that you can afford.
Maybe they bought it second hand? I have two or maybe three older iPhone models in my desk drawer. I should sell them, but I would have to get them unblocked or whatever it is that you have to do to pass them on.

It then maybe they bought it with their income tax return

Old 07-17-2016, 07:10 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Why does that person care?? - spying on people and how they got their stuff? It could all be rent a stuff- NONE of your BUSINESS or anyone else's- if they don't have anything else better to do- send them to to Iraq to look for Isis- become useful...

Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
Reminds me of a house I was looking at. Was a single family house which was converted to illegal housing (living and dining rooms were converted to bedrooms)

There were at least 3 families living in the house and a few small children as well (3/4 yr olds).

Escalade in the driveway with chrome "rims"

The foyer area was converted into a cramped living room which had 2 video game consoles attached to a huge HD TV mounted to the wall.

House looked like it had never been cleaned.

Priorities....

Old 07-17-2016, 07:48 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Define "new model Hummer." The last Hummer made was the H3 and it was in 2010. In other words, there is NO SUCH thing as a "NEW MODEL HUMMER."

As for section 8...not unusual. More common than most think. Just a bunch of crooks taking advantage of the system and the hard working US taxpayer.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe they bought it second hand? I have two or maybe three older iPhone models in my desk drawer. I should sell them, but I would have to get them unblocked or whatever it is that you have to do to pass them on.

It then maybe they bought it with their income tax return
If you are so poor that you can't afford rent, you can't afford a phone plan for that iPhone. Also, despite popular myth, cell phones are NOT a necessity. Addiction to cell phones does not equate "necessity". Landlines are still available, still have voice mail, don't cost as much as a cell phone plan.

As for the Hummers:

http://www.autotrader.com/2010-hummer-cars.jsp

http://www.kbb.com/hummer/h3/2010/sp...condition=good

http://www.cars.com/hummer/h3/2010/snapshot

If you're so poor that you need Section 8 housing, you don't need a car that costs over 10 grand let alone one that costs anywhere from $15-30+ grand. Yes, yes, the excuses: "maybe someone bought it for them", "maybe they are borrowing it", "maybe they bought it when things were better", the fact is, they should sell it and buy something far cheaper, put the difference in the bank and pay their own damn rent.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 07-17-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
iphones are status symbols for poor people, much like tacky sneakers. IQ's generally hover at about 75-80. What do you expect them to do? Actually work for a living!? lol

Old 07-17-2016, 08:18 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
Quote:
If the Section 8 applicant can afford an iPhone, why in the world are they getting subsidized housing?
because Obama is probably supplying them the iphone also.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont think they deserve section 8 and a hummer wasnt the best choice of car ( gas miles, etc) but who cares?! It doesnt impact you at all! They have a hummer and a tv, did you pay for it?.
Methinks you are missing the point, even though it is so obvious.

Yes, we all paid for it!!! Why do you liberals think there is some forest full of money trees that cover the costs of welfare, including subsidized housing?

That God damned money tree is in reality OUR TAX DOLLARS. The OP is questioning why WE HAVE TO PAY HALF HER RENT, as she drives an expensive truck, and has enough money, apparently, to buy luxuries like Hummers and plasma TVs.

The answer to your question, again, is yes ... we are paying for it, and we are getting sick and tired of doing it.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Sends me this email in response to my listing:

To top it off one of the neighboring rentals by one of my rentals is a section 8 house. The tenant has two big screen TV's and a new model Hummer that she just bought. They've lived there for 5 years...I even took a picture of it. Good to know I went to college and worked hard to get ahead so I can pay more than the median gross household income in taxes to fund these leeches. I've filed complaints yet nothing is done. Where are the bleeding heart liberals and their apologies for these leeches?? Basically your policy is to buy votes by stealing for those who worked for it at the threat of imprisonment or death, to give to those who don't.
Since you're that offended by a simple question and bashing this person all over CD, that individual should be grateful you don't accept it

Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
You do know they quit making Hummers in 2010? At best that Hummer is a 5 year old used vehicle.
you can get an iPhone for $13.30/month

and I see Hummer 3's for sale near me for $10,500

and "flat screen TV's" are not exactly luxury items these days. Nearly all televisions sold in the past 10 years have flat screens.

not that these are smart decisions, but it's hardly indicative of high spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies