Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"lot of employers have been abusing the hell out of labor rules by calling someone a "manager""

Is your claim from personal experience or did you just pull it out of your arse?

I WAS a salaried manager, several times, and NEVER experienced what you claim.

So I could claim, "lots of employers DON'T..."
Its pervasive in retail. I've seen it personally many times. It's not the same as being a salaried manager in an office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 05:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Two managers, each working 24 hours, coming soon to a Circle-K near you.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
As I recall when I interviewed for a salaried job it was MY OPTION to take the job or NOT, so your "claim" of, "but plenty of employers do it purposely to screw people out of earning overtime for working long hours is B.S.

NOBODY is FORCED to take a salaried job.
Talk about BS, you know good and well that people "take" jobs in order to eat, hunger, mortgage payments, car payments, trying to get to retirement, ALL these things constitute a "force"...........

Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Sometimes when a project or job needs to be complete, you work extra to get it done... just because you want to do a good job. Not everyone is being exploited. Some work extra because they want.

I think some of you are also neglecting how expensive it is to be full time employees. The cost has increased and it has nothing to do with employee salaries. The owner/stakeholders are just supposed to eat it every time some wants something.

You can't have a one size fits all policy.

Or make the increase more gradual... this is over double the old threshold.

Look... Everyone wants more money. We (collectively as a country) are not selling and making products like we did in the past. Almost half the country is not working. You can't have everything. If you want people to have more money, get the government out of the way, reduce regulations to make it favorable to do business and manufacture products. You can't legislate more money over the long term. It will only make things worse.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-20-2016 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This implies that business owners will take the loss... that's not going to happen.
Sure it will. Management will have to make a choice between paying higher compensation, or cutting staff and shrinking the business.

Both choices will simply generate lower returns for the shareholders.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Cry me a river, he cannot extract free labor from his employees so easily any more.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
As I recall when I interviewed for a salaried job it was MY OPTION to take the job or NOT, so your "claim" of, "but plenty of employers do it purposely to screw people out of earning overtime for working long hours is B.S.

NOBODY is FORCED to take a salaried job.
Of course it's at your discretion to take a job or not, but you cannot give away your rights. That's why regulatory agencies like the DOL exist in the first place.

And the statement I made was not merely a claim I pulled out of nowhere. There have been multiple class action lawsuits against companies such as Taco Bell and Waffle House due to their misclassifying staff as exempt as opposed to nonexempt to avoid paying overtime. So, yes, a lot of companies do it, but as you point out earlier in the thread, a lot of companies don't.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-20-2016 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 09:49 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
The law is still a very weak law. Massive wage theft is still rampant. There should be no threshold. Every worker should get overtime pay except in very, very rare circumstances.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:09 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Sure it will. Management will have to make a choice between paying higher compensation, or cutting staff and shrinking the business.

Both choices will simply generate lower returns for the shareholders.
It's called competition, and not just workers are forced into it unwillingly. The truth of free market business is that it is supposed to be brutal and cutthroat, if you can hire the best and pay them more you can have a reasonable expectation of getting your fair return on labor, and the "other guy" will definitely suffer.

Lower returns for the shareholders: Yes, not all businesses can manage well enough to have a loyal base of investor support, but, the ones that are successful seem to be the best payer, plus offering substantial benefits as a magnet for the best. it's when business gets together with the express purpose of sticking it to the worker, whether it be in a court of law or when they have their "own little union meetings" where things go bad for the collective of workers. We've got some winners but they are fewer and wealthier every year.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Still no explanation about why it's a problem for him to switch these guys to hourly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies