Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 AM

29,868 posts, read 14,905,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Something like 75% of Americans want a national assault weapon ban, so no. Has little to do with leftists.

And also has nothing to do with "hating guns". Most gun owners want reasonable gun rules, want an assault weapon ban, and strongly dislike the NRA. Heck, I've owned guns and agree with all this. Why wouldn't I?

It's just a few nuts who keep parroting the "Obama wants to take your guns" silliness. No one is proposing to ban guns.

Which part did you not get ? This new twist on the their current ban will eliminate semi-auto shotguns and rifles, many which are used for hunting. This isn't about the evil black sporting rifle the media and our politicians have got the left cowering in fear of this is one step towards an all out ban. Once they get the semi-auto long guns out of the way , the next target will be bolt action, lever and single shot long guns. Then the same rhetoric will be applied to handguns. Which will be much easier since many states require them to be registered.

Oh and by the way, it is already VERY time consuming and expensive to get an "assault" rifle , with many background checks and such. If someone is willing to go thru all that , I have no problem with it. I'm pretty sure not a single mass shooting or murder has been committed here in the past 50 years with an assault weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
That is true, but completely irrelevant.

Criminals, by definition, don't "give a flip" about whatever law is being broken. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have laws. A murderer doesn't "give a flip" about homicide laws; doesn't mean we should legalize murder.
No, maybe we should ban people ? Just using your logic.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
To compound the problem, Mass stands in the way of a hunting trip to Maine.

So now hunters who drive thru Mass with semi auto rifles on the way to Maine will be impacted??? Don't be surprised if Mass requires those hunters to call ahead and let st police know they are driving thru...just as the law already on the books for pistols.

Driving to Maine with a pistol thru Mass requires you to contact Mass police to let them know you will be driving thru their state.

How many that hunt in Maine, NH, VT call Mass to tell them you have a pistol in your vehicle if you drive thru Mass?

Imagine a guy going to hunt in Manie fron NJ, has a pistol in his car and didn;t call ahead to Mass st police....the law is quite happy to send an otherwise law abiding citizen to prison to share a cell with a gangbanger. That is a bad law. Punish those who violate administrative gun laws and exempt gang members running and selling drugs.

The left just seem to love this, I can see all the SJW's jumping around and frothing at the mouth in M.A. over winning the battle on those evil black rifles.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They won't be honest about it. If they leave you a single shot rifle then they will crow they aren't trying to take your guns.

Fools don't even know how a ban works.

I can't wait to see their jaws drop when they see the non-compliance numbers and lack of enforcement.

Most people that own what they are after don't even know this whole mess is going on.

I find it odd that the NRA is silent on this...

Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 AM

57,400 posts, read 26,429,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
No, my argument is that banning rifles that look "scary" will do nothing to help our nation's gun crime problem, but they will make millions of Americans felons for possessing a firearm that was previously legal and no more dangerous than any other firearm.
Your comments were relative to Europe, they ban many guns and it's not because of their "looks".

Old 07-21-2016, 08:22 AM

27,376 posts, read 15,486,116 times
Quote:
Fabulous news. Nice to see Mass have some real courage and to see a state standing up to the NRA.

Hopefully many more states will follow, and the U.S. will be a place governed by the people, not by the NRA loons.

Do realize that those that support gun ownership and of the types listed are much much more than the NRA.

It consists of a large portion of the American People.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,193,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Your comments were relative to Europe, they ban many guns and it's not because of their "looks".
And yet they've had several recent shootings that have killed far more than the worst shooting in America (Orlando.)

Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Something like 75% of Americans want a national assault weapon ban, so no. Has little to do with leftists.

And also has nothing to do with "hating guns". Most gun owners want reasonable gun rules, want an assault weapon ban, and strongly dislike the NRA. Heck, I've owned guns and agree with all this. Why wouldn't I?

It's just a few nuts who keep parroting the "Obama wants to take your guns" silliness. No one is proposing to ban guns.

Funny thing is 10,000 sporting rifles were sold in M.A. last year...seems like there is quite a demand for them to me...Just saying.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM

5,102 posts, read 2,310,442 times
Quote:

No, 75% of Americans are not in favor of "assault weapon" bans. To quote another BOGUS stat, 90% of Americans don't favor universal background checks, either. I never cared much for the NRA, but during the recent (three or four years) push for gun control, I decided to join up, and belong to about five groups now, including that dreadful NRA. Keep pushing, people. It's having the complete opposite effect you're hoping for.

Governor Cuomo is probably livid right now that Massachusetts one-upped him. Just got word that someone travelling through NY for a job in NH paused at a rest stop and was arrested for having an "assault weapon" with him. Crazy, that you can't even stop while travelling in NY without breaking the assinine laws.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,193,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I never cared much for the NRA, but during the recent (three or four years) push for gun control, I decided to join up, and belong to about five groups now, including that dreadful NRA. Keep pushing, people. It's having the complete opposite effect you're hoping for.
Likewise. I never had much love for the NRA, but every time the president starts talking about gun control I write them another renewal check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies