Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:23 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Lily, there are cultural differences between people. There are jobs dedicated to studying the differences. Cultural anthropologists is one such job.

Some cultures are very hard working, place much importance on education and good grades, for example.

That doesn't mean everyone in that culture does that, but that for the most part, those things are part of their value system.

There's a reason stereotypes exist - they often start out with some kernel of truth and get exaggerated after that.
I understand all that and I agree.

But, I don't think one minority group is doing better than the other. In order to say one is more "successful" than the other, we must first define "success."

For example, asian people in general (NOT all of them) look down on military service. I don't remember how many times I heard many asians say "If there is a war between the U.S. and (insert a country name here), my kids are going back to my home country." But black people are over represented in the military. How come nobody is talking about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 12:26 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You guys aren't reading the article.
Oh I read the article already and found it ridiculous. When you are ready, please respond to my first post because it seems that you may not have read the article yourself. Then again, perhaps you aren't familiar enough with the groups involved...or you share the same bias as the writer. Hopefully not the last option.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:27 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,988 times
I don't think its a cultural thing as much as a matter of education/social class. According to the article, many of the Hindus (or Indian-Americans if you prefer) in the US were middle class and college educated, and therefore have high expectations for themselves and their families. A similar situation is the case of Koreans in the US, another very successful group. Koreans are known to have set up networks for aiding recent arrivals with no interest loans and business connections:

The Korean American success story - BBC News

For another example, the wave of Cubans that immigrated in the 1960's were also middle class and college educated. They became financially and politically successful, helped make Miami a world-class City, and had a candidate in the GOP presidential nomination. Later waves of Cuban migrants in the 1980s had mixed results in the US

No, not all members of a culture are the same -- they all belong to different economic and social classes, which makes a huge difference when they come to the US.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,992 times
This is all so confusing. We have a trade imbalance with India and they outsourcing center. Isn't trump going to end all that?

Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I understand all that and I agree.

But, I don't think one minority group is doing better than the other. In order to say one is more "successful" than the other, we must first define "success."

For example, asian people in general (NOT all of them) look down on military service. I don't remember how many times I heard many asians say "If there is a war between the U.S. and (insert a country name here), my kids are going back to my home country." But black people are over represented in the military. How come nobody is talking about that?
Because we haven't discussed differences in cultures before so nobody is talking about what you'd like to talk about?

And some groups certainly are doing better than others. How can you state that one isn't doing better than the other after reading so many threads here how black people often don't get the same opportunities and are being held back?

For the most part, Mexicans value hard work but not necessarily advanced formal education. Some Asian groups put high importance on both hard work and education and good grades, with most of their kids going on to college. You tend to find the same among those who are Jewish.

There's even a difference of cultures in Chicago between those who were raised on the south side and those raised on the north side. One group tended to be filled with blue collar families because that's where the steel mills were located, with less importance placed on education, and on the north side you'd find more white collar families.

I think someone from Boston could explain differences there, there, as well, among a number of other cities that are culturally split.

I don't know why you're averse to discussing this.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Because we haven't discussed differences in cultures before so nobody is talking about what you'd like to talk about?

And some groups certainly are doing better than others. How can you state that one isn't doing better than the other after reading so many threads here how black people often don't get the same opportunities and are being held back?

For the most part, Mexicans value hard work but not necessarily advanced formal education. Some Asian groups put high importance on both hard work and education and good grades, with most of their kids going on to college. You tend to find the same among those who are Jewish.

There's even a difference of cultures in Chicago between those who were raised on the south side and those raised on the north side. One group tended to be filled with blue collar families because that's where the steel mills were located, with less importance placed on education, and on the north side you'd find more white collar families.

I think someone from Boston could explain differences there, there, as well, among a number of other cities that are culturally split.

I don't know why you're averse to discussing this.
Because different people have different definition of "success". Very simple.

I don't want to "argue" with anybody here.

It is okay to be proud of one's culture, but it is also important to acknowledge we all have different struggles.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:43 PM

By the way, here is a breakdown of races in the military:

Race Profile of Active Duty Force
Service % White % Minorities % Black % Other Army 73.9 % 26.1 % 21.5 % 4.6 % Navy 66.2 % 33.8 % 19.3 % 14.4 % Marine Corps 83.7 % 16.3 % 11.1 % 5.2 % Air Force 78.1 % 21.9 % 15.6 % 6.3 % Coast Guard 82 % 18 % 6.1 % 11.9 % Total 74.6 % 25.4 % 17.8 % 7.6 %
Demographics of Active Duty U.S. Military – Statistic Brain
I'm not sure why you believe blacks are over-represented in the military, but that isn't the case.

That pasted horribly but the bottom line totals are

White people - 74.6%
Black people - 17.8%
Other - 7.6%

Old 07-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
By the way, here is a breakdown of races in the military:

Race Profile of Active Duty Force
Service % White % Minorities % Black % Other Army 73.9 % 26.1 % 21.5 % 4.6 % Navy 66.2 % 33.8 % 19.3 % 14.4 % Marine Corps 83.7 % 16.3 % 11.1 % 5.2 % Air Force 78.1 % 21.9 % 15.6 % 6.3 % Coast Guard 82 % 18 % 6.1 % 11.9 % Total 74.6 % 25.4 % 17.8 % 7.6 %
Demographics of Active Duty U.S. Military – Statistic Brain

I'm not sure why you believe blacks are over-represented in the military, but that isn't the case.
and that is fine, I have read other articles suggesting blacks are over-represented in the military, that is all.

The bottom line is that financial well being, work ethic, etc. These are all aspects of success. Different people have different definition of success.

To me personally, a successful person is always a more interesting, well-rounded person.. That is all.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Well, numbers don't lie and I don't know what articles you've read but they're obviously based on a myth.

I realize different things make different people happy, but if he's done research finding that group has the highest per capita income in America, then it means they aren't struggling, and that, for most people, equals some amount of success.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:55 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact there are so many Jewish Nobel Prize winners is no mere coincidence.
And who are we voting for? Overwhelmingly not Donald Trump. 13% of Hindus are Republicans compared to 26% of Jews, who are known for our left-leaning politics. U.S. religious groups and their political leanings | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies