Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This supposedly cherrypicked group of Hindus had values that created financial, educational, and charitable success in their lives. Doesn't matter if they came from well off families, many rich well-educated kids Have horrid values, and many impoverished kids end up with great values and success.
Seriously, you just dismissed parental education and income as any sort of variable in how well kids do in order to just keep hammering home your narrative?

This is tied for firs with the stupidest comment I've ever read on city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
What many don't understand about Asians and people from places like India is that they understand sacrifice. They understand that in order to get ahead they have to do it themselves. Not only that but they do what many wouldn't dare doing. They hire exclusively from their own communities and their own people. How many white, black or hispanic waiters/ waitresses do you see working at a Chinese restaurant? Oh you might see it occasionally but not often. Along with this comes financial aide from those who have already made it. They will also take full advantage of government assistance, they have a network of support to help them with the paperwork and legalities. It isn't cut and dry. If you are from India you are a hard worker or if you are asian you are a math whiz.
The reality is they put tremendous pressure on their children to succeed. I know a couple from Vietnam. Their 7 yearly child speaks 3 languages, plays concert piano and can recite the declaration of independence. All very impressive. This child also isn't allowed to play with other children, watch any cartoons and has absolutely no toys.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Completely biased article. Indian-Americans or Hindus? All of the former are not part of the latter. All of the latter are not part of the former.

I find it interesting that the article had no problem acting as though there are no Christian or Muslim Indian-Americans that are helping those statistics, but yet nothing is attributed to them as Indian-Americans.

Hindus make up little over half of the Indian-American community. Around 20 percent are Christian, 10 percent Muslim and then Sikh and others.

So this article found it completely fine to ignore and the contributions of almost half of the Indian-American community and attribute it all to one religious group among them. It also ignores the fact that there Hindus that come from places other than India.

SMH.
The devil is in the details.

Good job exposing the bias.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
I'm Indian and a Republican. Most of my family and friends--Indian and non-Indian alike--are Democrats. I have stopped discussing politics with people because we are on different wavelengths. I shared a political opinion in class in my third year of college several years ago and received the cold shoulder from one of my classmates after class. Mind you, what I said was neither crass, rude nor offensive, but I learned my lesson that day. Since then, in my personal life, I have only had political discussions with my former boss who was also Indian and a big Obama supporter. I can tell you, however, that my dad is a big Trump supporter. So, we do exist but often are not outspoken about it.

Well you see, that is the problem, and why we continue to have a problem. If people did speak out and were more outspoken, that is being true to who you are. Never let any person make you waiver in your thoughts or ideals. You see I don't care what others think on this forum, or in my personal life. My decisions are my own, take them or leave them, and you can have your own.

Once you get in my face, and deny me my rights as an American, to my own opinion, and you think your opinion matters more then mine, stay the hell away from me.

I have democrat friends who are announcing to me they are voting for Trump, in fact this pass week, some staunch democrat friends of ours, and I am surprise to say the least. They have had it with their party, are sick of lying Hillary and feel she let Bernie down. They don't care what they did in the past, they are now voting for Trump, and telling me and others. Don't let the Stupid Ass liberal media, and the Democrats stop you from supporting your nominee. When you let this happen, they win, and I will be damn if my opinion is not as important as theirs. Do you see these idiots not showing their support, don't let these ignorant fools win, not worth it.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
Hinduism has a caste system which is incompatible with American values of you can be whatever you want if you work hard enough. Reformed Hinduism is only what can be acceptable in America.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
You guys aren't reading the article.
I read it. The Republican Hindu Coalition favors Trump but I see no evidence that Hindus in general support him.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:27 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I read it. The Republican Hindu Coalition favors Trump but I see no evidence that Hindus in general support him.
I agree, but I wasn't particularly interested in their support for Trump as I was in the values they were expressing that had helped with their success and the policies they supported because of it.

Although there are valid disagreements here, I believe the values within a particular culture are what shape It -- those values can be passed down from parents, from heritage, from politics, from religion, etc., etc
I constantly see a correlation between valuing education, family unity, good work ethics, authority, law and order, and generosity, with success in America.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:37 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
I agree, but I wasn't particularly interested in their support for Trump as I was in the values they were expressing that had helped with their success and the policies they supported because of it.

Although there are valid disagreements here, I believe the values within a particular culture are what shape It -- those values can be passed down from parents, from heritage, from politics, from religion, etc., etc
I constantly see a correlation between valuing education, family unity, good work ethics, authority, law and order, and generosity, with success in America.
The culture of success is the culture of America's founding stock. Ambitious immigrants from around the world are able do much better in America than they did in their homelands because of the institutions the founding Northwestern Europeans built.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,567,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hindus like any other immigrant group overwhelmingly vote Democrat, since everyone has been fed since landing on US soil that as a non-White person the Democrat Party represents you.

Interesting part about not just Hindus, also Muslims and other groups is that once they live in the West, they favor Conservative government back in their ancestral country. Egyptian Americans overwhelmingly (85%) supported Muslim Brotherhood in the last elections, Indian Americans support the right-winger Narendra Modi, and so on.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
so you saying the African American have the highest crime, the highest unemployment, the highest disease, the highest drug use, the highest violencel, the highest unwed mothers, the highest education drop out

because its their culture.

ok that make sense now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies