Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm not bitter. Just trying to figure out what did he do that was so special where he feels that he's somehow above all other black people. I know hoodrats in the straight up projects who register for college. It's not like its all that hard you know, the government makes in braindead easy.

When someone is ACTUALLY successful, and has ACTUAL solutions to problems in the black community, then they're worth listening to. But just being a guy who registered for college, decided he was "above black people", and now wants to talk about what "black people are doing wrong" gets on my nerves.

I use to be the same way. Then I actually started to think about solutions, and that is where things get very complicated. The regular bullet point solutions start to fall apart when you actually start trying to solve problems. But I know white people could care less if black people have actual solutions for other black people.
THAT is what you got out of his post? Are you serious right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THAT is what you got out of his post? Are you serious right now?
That's the crux of his post. The rest of his post was just filler about "why" he was better than other black people, and felt he had some sort of authority to criticize black people.

you see the issue with critics of black people is that they RARELY have a good solution after the criticism is done. I actually do have REAL solutions with actual details. Staying "stay off drugs, go to school" is a pretty lame solutions. The real thing you don't understand is that most black people try this, but circumstances stand in their way. How do you engineer solutions around these circumstances?

See I'm a black man who ACTUALLY came up at a severe disadvantage. I had a drug addict father, and all of the need to "do better" was actually very hard. Today I'm a software engineer, making pretty good money, an expert in my field, and moving into the world of data science and artificial intelligence. But this journey wasn't as easy as "bullet point" solutions. It took actual strategy.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Quote:
Great. So what does "hard work" look like? What do you study? What type of job do you get? What indicators do you use? What advice do you take? How about factors in the economy? Can you predict the future of where the job market will go, how about if there will even be a job market at all?

Silly "bullet point" solutions aren't real solutions. There is way more depth to all of this.

how about that kid/young adult having a sense of personal responsibility and accountability while not pointing fingers and blaming society for his tough luck. He's working on making something of himself. Not demanding handouts.

the American dream is available to all who want it. He made that pretty clear in his first post. Maybe you should read it again.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
how about that kid/young adult having a sense of personal responsibility and accountability while not pointing fingers and blaming society for his tough luck. He's working on making something of himself. Not demanding handouts.

the American dream is available to all who want it. He made that pretty clear in his first post. Maybe you should read it again.

This is the problem with your post. Let's say I'm a black kid, born in the ghetto, and try to "work hard". I have a mother who barely makes enough to pay cheap rent, we live off of food stamps, and it's hard to get money. what happens when your mother's job lays off, the lights get cut off, and she can't find a job right away? This is where things get VERY hard. This is what lead most black kids into the world of drugs. It all starts temporarily, and then they're addicted to the money.

All of the cards are stacked against you. Poverty drives you to this. So again, how do you actually give black youth a real strategy to overcome all of this? If a kid is 15 years old, he see his mother struggling, how does this kid make the moral decision to "survive" or "think long term"? It's not so simple.

This is why you need actual strategy not bullet points. There is an 100% way to deal with all of these issues, but it actually relies on actual strategy.

And what if the kid leaves the ghetto, moves to the suburbs, but then loses his job? What if he loses his house, his car? he did "everything right" but factors lead to him being in this situation. And that is because this black kid, the black community, and most Americans don't really understand the market. So these bullet point solutions only work in a market that's static. But the market can't be static, it changes.

This is where you need better solutions, especially for people working at a disadvantage like most black youth in the ghetto.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
I think the descendants of these people should have respirations. This video shows just how stuff got to where it is with some families. I wonder how many families were able to overcome this and build wealth again. I'm pretty sure the government didn't do anything

https://www.facebook.com/ATLBlackSta...6597305808377/

Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
This is the problem with your post. Let's say I'm a black kid, born in the ghetto, and try to "work hard". I have a mother who barely makes enough to pay cheap rent, we live off of food stamps, and it's hard to get money. what happens when your mother's job lays off, the lights get cut off, and she can't find a job right away? This is where things get VERY hard. This is what lead most black kids into the world of drugs. It all starts temporarily, and then they're addicted to the money....

All of the cards are stacked against you. Poverty drives you to this. So again, how do you actually give black youth a real strategy to overcome all of this? If a kid is 15 years old, he see his mother struggling, how does this kid make the moral decision to "survive" or "think long term"? It's not so simple.

This is why you need actual strategy not bullet points. There is an 100% way to deal with all of these issues, but it actually relies on actual strategy.

And what if the kid leaves the ghetto, moves to the suburbs, but then loses his job? What if he loses his house, his car? he did "everything right" but factors lead to him being in this situation. And that is because this black kid, the black community, and most Americans don't really understand the market. So these bullet point solutions only work in a market that's static. But the market can't be static, it changes.

This is where you need better solutions, especially for people working at a disadvantage like most black youth in the ghetto.

Substitute "black" with "white" and "ghetto" with "Appalachia" and the scenario is exactly the same.

I fully agree with you that the biggest part of the equation is economic. It's just not unique to black folks.

What happens to the white kid who grew up in a tarpaper shack in WV, made it out and moved to the suburbs and then loses his job/house/car?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Substitute "black" with "white" and "ghetto" with "Appalachia" and the scenario is exactly the same.

I fully agree with you that the biggest part of the equation is economic. It's just not unique to black folks.

What happens to the white kid who grew up in a tarpaper shack in WV, made it out and moved to the suburbs and then loses his job/house/car?
Folks want to have their own unique set of problems which are not transferable to others. Makes them special and above criticism.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Reading this stuff does not "appall" me - I guess the last 8 years have gotten me used to it.
I continue to find it incredibly sad that 50 years after I marched in the streets for Equal Rights - we are left with this continued Victimhood that is carefully taught to Black Children that results in a "Policy" paper like this.

The Movement For Black Lives - About Us

They explain their meeting to Write this Policy Paper, the 50 Groups involved and the Supporting Organizations for those Groups. It all began with convention in Cleveland of 2,000 people.

In response to this mandate, the Movement for Black Lives Policy Table engaged in a year long process of convening local and national groups to create a United Front. The result of our collective efforts is this platform. In addition to the groups in the United Front, we have also engaged our people. We have received feedback from hundreds of people through surveys, national calls, organizational membership, engaged dozens of other organizations, researchers, and other individuals for their insights and expertise to begin developing a framework for shared policy priorities. It does not include every policy Black people should be working on, but elevates those for which there was shared energy and action in this political moment.

They Launched their "Platform" at Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:02 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,797 times
The comical part is that some posters think PhilliesPhan2013's mindset is some sort of exception or unicorn within the black community when it is actually the norm (barring his uppity/self hating/better than other blacks slant). The vast majority of black people work hard, if not twice as hard, and value education. They may complain about this rigged system where the cards are stacked against them but they aren't expecting handouts and 'free stuff'. Some just learn to survive the best way they know how.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Folks want to have their own unique set of problems which are not transferable to others. Makes them special and above criticism.
Well everyone does have their own unique problems. Which is why I'm not a big fan of "bulletpoint solutions"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies