Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times

Advertisements

Clint Eastwood, who's had eight kids by six different women? Hell - he should run for president!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Clint has always been somewhat political. He was the mayor of Carmel, California from 1986-1988. He received a monthly salary of $200. I bet those were really interesting city council meetings. He was a great mayor:

Clint Eastwood - Mayor of Carmel

A Look at Clint's Life in the Political Arena; 1986-88

n January 30th, 1986, a local Carmel, California newspaper first announced the news: Clint Eastwood was running for mayor -- salary, $200 a month!
Like Dirty Harry, he was fighting bureaucracy, waging a war on bylaws in his adopted hometown of Carmel. His campaign certainly made the media's day but when he got a whopping 72% of the poll, even former President Reagan phoned with envious congratulations.
Clint insisted during his two year period as mayor that it was not the launch pad for larger political ambitions. His concern was strictly with Carmel. "We got rid of quite a lot of punitive attitudes on the council and helped people get things done," he claimed later. "We got things built -- beach walkways, a library annex which had been waiting 25 years, and so on. I approached it from a business point of view, not a political one."
The reason Clint entered the political arena in the first place was that he believed he was being disrespectfully treated by the little city's administration, and he was upset about it. Hassled with rules, regulations, and taxes regarding building permits and zoning laws, and tired of getting the runaround and going through endless miles of red tape with the city, Clint decided to fight back.
The breaking point was when the preservationist-dominated town council automatically rejected Clint's plans to build a small building in downtown Carmel that would have improved the surrounding area. Clint promptly sued the city winning an out-of-court settlement that permitted him to proceed with his building.
It was this fight with city hall that got Clint thinking. It got him closer to the Carmel business community and led to discussions about challenging the incumbent mayor, Charlotte Townsend, who was then approaching the end of her second term. People started to edge him on and show early support if he considered to run against her.
He hired a campaign manager, and after early opinion polls about how people would feel if he ran looked positive, he filed the papers just hours before the deadline and launched his campaign.
His strategy was very basic: He never attacked Townsend directly, he gave no interviews to the national press, and stayed tightly involved in the community. He did almost no paid advertising -- just some buttons and bumper stickers. It was, all in all, one of the most tasteful campaigns in the history of modern American politics. He politely refused autographs when he was out on walking tours. His slogan was simple, "Bringing the Community Together," and in talks he stressed his desire to build bridges between the business community and the residential community. His strategy worked!
On April 8th, 1986, with twice the voter turn out showing up, Clint got a whopping 72.5 % of the vote. To show that there was no hard feelings, a week later at his inaugural ceremony, he gave Townsend and two of her close allies some potted redwood seedlings as reconciliatory gifts.
For his two year term in office, Clint fulfilled to his own satisfaction, all his major campaign promises. Among them, he made it easier to build or to renovate property. He got a tourist parking lot constructed. He remodeled The Mission Ranch and preserved the precious landscape it was on which was supposed to be demolished in favor of 80 condominiums. He also opened the library annex which is dedicated for children's use, and it is said to be the accomplishment of which he is most proud.
Though he enjoyed his experience, he opted not to run for a second term. He began to reach this conclusion one day standing in a chilly garage, surrounded by staff and council members trying to decide if a prominent Carmel citizen, a doctor, would be permitted to change the slope of his garage roof. Life was too short for this kind of pettiness. Late in 1987 he announced that he would not stand for a second term. And although he made two films while in office (Heartbreak Ridge and Bird), in early 1988, Clint was back to devote a full time effort to his career in film.

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
well, I really don't care that he supports Donald Trump.

To me, Eastwood has never needed to compensate for anything. Manhood, for Eastwood, has always been about needing and having and showing less.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
"We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.”

That alone tells me what I need to know about people who like this ******* statement.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Isn't he married to a black woman?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Go ahead. Make my gay.

But seriously, I wish celebs would stay out of politics, too. And the old days are gone, Clint. You can't use any kind of language you grew up hearing.
That IS the problem.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
So, are you saying that no president in history has ever made deals with members of Congress, or what?
No. Hard to make deals when the other side takes the opposite position on essentially everything... Obstructionists don't want deals, they purposely sabotage government and then tell their rube voters how government doesn't work.

Funny how we wasted 8 years on issues like minimum wage and infrastructure, I guess it sounds better coming from a man that looks like Trump... Still waiting on an alternative to ACA after how many years?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
"We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.”

That alone tells me what I need to know about people who like this ******* statement.
While I do think "racist" gets thrown around too much, there is a reason why Trump is getting the type of supporters he is.... Those who miss when people knew their place and werent agitators.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Typical "Things were better in my day" bull. When you grew up, people couldn't drink from the same water fountain. That doesn't mean that it should be back.

He's the target market for making America great again: the old white privileged male

I also like how Obama stirs so much anger in people. "Can't vote Hillary because she will follow in obamas footsteps"

How about not voting for her by citing policies you don't agree with? Citing Obama is an easy way to dismissing her without dismissing things that would outright sound bad if he did (cheaper education, gay marriage, etc).

The loss of privilege is not an attack on whiteness. It's not "soft" to aspire to be better than the Jim Crow South.

Those short excerpts hit all the checkboxes.

- Random Obama shade
- Random Reagan name drop
- "politically correct"
- "both sides"
- "when I was growing up"

Yep, that's an old white conservative.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Clint Eastwood, who's had eight kids by six different women? Hell - he should run for president!
Way to go liberal. How often do liberals tell everyone what people do in bedrooms is their private busoness?

BTW, bet none of those kids are on food stamps. Hello?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies