Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
But, but that's what The One promised. He didn't tell a little fib, did he?
No worries going forward. Trump has promised to replace Obamacare with " something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
My premium (for employer-provided insurance) has barely been nudged. It's increased $1 per paycheck ($26 / year) every year. It's $722 / year. Of course, it's a high-deductible plan. I've only used it in 2009 for my double-dislocated left index finger. It's there for catastrophes. It's possible they've scaled back a little on coverage, either explicitly or by point of coverage decisions.
I am covered by my husband's employer's large group plan. His employer implemented a Wellness Program whereby employees have an option to reduce- eliminate their share of the premium by adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Those who choose to participate recieve Fitbits to track the number of steps a day to earn points. Those who lose weight and maintain the loss earn points. Those who quit smoking earn points. Those who get an annual physical and Cancer screenings ( set by age) earn points.

As a result our premium costs have substantially declined and already good insurance got better under the ACA.

I fully appreciate mileage varies by employer, state, competitiveness of regional healthcare and type of plan.

The concept of rewarding people who choose healthy lifestyles is solid.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
Health insurance is a risk pool. Anyone who thought that Obamacare could reduce your cost $2,500 and increase coverage to include everyone, including those with pre-existing conditions and others who haven't taken care of their health care needs for years with a lot of pent up needs, is definitely drinking something that confuses your thinking.....lol.

You can argue whether healthcare is a right, or a privilege/service where you need to pay your own way, but there is no way in hell healthcare premiums were going to go down when you add those with preexisting conditions and some of the unhealthiest among us. Yes I know young healthy people were supposed to offset this....but there is no way millions of low premium young healthy people going to offset millions who've previously not been taking diligent care of their health needs and/or with serious and expensive preexisting conditions.

We all knew that, but it's a much more difficult "sell" if you don't spin it the other way. I'm sure they came up with numbers to back up the "lowering of cost" they promoted, but as the old saying goes, "figures don't lie, but liars figure"

Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am covered by my husband's employer's large group plan. His employer implemented a Wellness Program whereby employees have an option to reduce- eliminate their share of the premium by adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Those who choose to participate recieve Fitbits to track the number of steps a day to earn points. Those who lose weight and maintain the loss earn points. Those who quit smoking earn points. Those who get an annual physical and Cancer screenings ( set by age) earn points.

As a result our premium costs have substantially declined and already good insurance got better under the ACA.

I fully appreciate mileage varies by employer, state, competitiveness of regional healthcare and type of plan.

My last employer had a wellness plan similar to your husband's.

The main thing I loved about that place was that we had NO premiums at all. Only a $2600 deductible and the employer gave us money for losing weight, getting a high average of steps per month (according to FitBit) and quitting smoking, going to the doctor for preventative care, etc. My healthcare was less than $1000 a year when I worked with them starting in 2013.

So I honestly don't get all the gripes about ACA/Obamacare. I think that people didn't realize that with those old cadillac plans that they were paying for medical coverage that they usually were not using. I know it used to bug me to pay so much for a premium when we rarely went to the doctor. I think it is better to pay when you go instead of paying out the wazoo for something you are not using.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 AM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
No worries going forward. Trump has promised to replace Obamacare with " something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it".

You should go to his site and read up on it.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Not me...only increases!
I saw the decrease because a flock of pigs were flapping towards the moon.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:51 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:

No, already good insurance got better because of his employer. The ACA doesn't mandate any of the incentives or associated savings you mention.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...lthcare-reform

^ these proposals would do absolutely nothing to stop the growth of healthcare costs

however, personally, they would make my premiums go down significantly because I'm young. However if you're, say, 50 years old - your premiums would probably rise by tenfold by removing the 3:1 cap.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
What was the reasoning behind the tax on Cadillac health plans? Why punish the companies who generous with their health insurance benefits?

BTW at the DNC I was so mad at Obama claiming that Hillary was the first to get the affordable health care plan going... meanwhile Massachusetts was just fine with our Romneycare state health plans (tweaked by the Dems in the state legislature). Romneycare was great, turning it into Obamacare has been a mess and will cost MA workers more.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:24 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
That wouldn't be anywhere near as fun as being able to repeat that same stupid line she's been posting about it all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies