Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:26 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times

Advertisements

With all the shootings, including the killing of law enforcement officials, and some innocent people, the time is coming when serious proposals are under consideration to limit guns and ammunition.
All I am hearing from the gun owners is stupid comments("they will never take my guns").
To that I say, don't be so sure about that.

These people say and do nothing constructive to address the rise in shootings and killings.
Why have you gun folks not stepped up to the plate and help find solutions to this problem of gun violence?
After all, it is your rights to keep a gun that are going to be the main focus in coming months.
Don't for one minute think the 2nd amendment couldn't be repealed, if politicians really get into studying the gun violence issues in this country.
Why are the gun advocates, and members of the NRA not holding community meetings in an effort to discuss the issue, and find reasonable solutions to this growing problem?

My advice to the gun advocates is to listen up.
Get involved, or one day you may have absolutely no say in who does, and who doesn't have the right to keep guns.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
With all the shootings, including the killing of law enforcement officials, and some innocent people, the time is coming when serious proposals are under consideration to limit guns and ammunition.
All I am hearing from the gun owners is stupid comments("they will never take my guns").

These people say and do nothing constructive to address the rise in shootings and killings.
Why have you gun folks not stepped up to the plate and help find solutions to this problem of gun violence?
After all, it is your rights to keep a gun that are going to be the main focus in coming months.
Don't for one minute think the 2nd amendment couldn't be repealed, if politicians really get into studying the gun violence issues in this country.
Why are the gun advocates, and members of the NRA not holding community meetings in an effort to discuss the issue, and find reasonable solutions to this growing problem?

Get involved, or one day you may have absolutely no say in who does, and who doesn't have the right to keep guns.

Bob.

What if there are no solutions?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Government has always wanted the people unarmed.... It makes it easier for them to herd us like cattle.

The problem comes for them in times like the civil war. They immediately tried to disarm the public as much as they could possible get with a stacked supreme court. and have been at it ever since. Because they knew with the power government really wants, another bloody revolution would certainly ensure.

Why do they want the rifles, and not the handguns???? They the government fears the rifle more than anything.

When 150 rednecks on a hill can hold off 12,000 of Germany's finest, they know people in the city armed with 38 specials are not going to be a problem.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:32 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
If those that make and enforce the laws were to try to take away guns from those of us who legally possess them? They'll get my gun, when they pry it from my cold dead hand AFTER they get every round of ammo I have.

The reason the 2nd Amendment was written was not to protect us from foreign attacks. It was to protect us from our own government! And if/when they try to remove that ability for law abiding citizens to own a gun? I'm not the only one that will be giving them all I've got in ammo... not by a (pardon the pun) LONGSHOT....

Old 08-10-2016, 12:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
while i can appreciate the stance of the anti gunners, their problem is in fact the second amendment. they keep reading well regulated militia, and think national guard, and stop there. they keep forgetting about the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

and the wording of the amendment was very clear. it was designed to prevent the government from regulating firearms PERIOD. i have posted this before, you might want to try reading it;

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

Quote:
The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected.

Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
get involved? what do you think the NRA is? maybe it's time you look it up for yourself rather than listen to Bloomberg and Clinton.

another stupid anti gun thread

go start an anti thug or islamic terror thread. they're largely responsible.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What if there are no solutions?
Not an option.

We can always tax and regulate our way out of every "problem".

Get with the program.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:

Bob.
1. Honest and law abiding gun owners are not the problem. Work the problem. Identify it, find solutions for it, implement those solutions. The law abiding gun owners I know feel no obligation to find solutions to gun violence that they are not a party to. 300 million guns, 100 million gun owners. If honest and law abiding gun owners were the problem, this entire nation would be a war torn battle zone.

2. Most liberals will deny that they are trying to take guns away from people. Everybody knows its a lie, but liberals pretend that its not. So I would assume that many liberals on this site will insist that one of the basic premises of your thread is incorrect.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:55 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Quote:

Bob.
So if I keep money in a bank is it my responsibility to find a solution to keep it from getting robbed?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
So if I keep money in a bank is it my responsibility to find a solution to keep it from getting robbed?
Nope! They're making money off your money just sitting there doing nothing by using it as collateral without you even knowing. Ergo: it's a business's responsibility to protect itself, not yours.

Now as to your right to own a firearm; who is it you think should be pro-active in maintaining/defending a right?

I sense the O/P is likening gun ownership to those things taken for granted throughout life until the abusers see to it everyone suffers a loss of right or privilege. Carefully assessing the positions taken would show a majority at some point saying enough is enough!

A wiser populace would anticipate a worse case scenario and make reasonable attempts to prevent it happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies