Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:18 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,458,021 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing a constant refrain in these forums that goes like this "We've lost so many of our rights and freedoms" and "We've had our freedoms and rights taken from us."
This is usually followed by slogans like "Make America Great Again"

I'd appreciate someone telling me when America was Greater/better than now...please be specific as to how it was better and why.

I've started this thread to explore just what "rights" and "freedoms" people feel that we have lost or had taken away from us.

Terms-I guess a freedom can be a very subjective thing-so the field is wide open.

Rights-I'm using the definition a Right is something that is codified by law..and taken away by law.

My take..about the only Right that I can think of that has been taken is the right to freely move between Canada and Mexico without a passport.

Freedom of speech and freedom of information have been greatly increased by the internet..although like anything else, the internet requires a lot of discretion as to what to believe or not. It certainly gives a forum to people whose voices would never have been heard. So..a Freedom gained and a right enhanced.

In fact, as I think of it..we have many more Rights than in the past. Many see this as the problem...The right to have a legal and safe abortion...the right not to be discriminated against on the basis of gender orientation, to name a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 08:20 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,781,253 times
I don't have the right to keep my own paycheck without half of it being stolen. to me that's the only right I care about.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:21 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,569,435 times
the slogan is probably regarding some specific issues such as illegal immigration and all the problems and money it costs and all the American jobs being outsourced.

JMO

Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,450,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I don't have the right to keep my own paycheck without half of it being stolen. to me that's the only right I care about.
"It's not theft and slavery if the government does it to you."

- old statist proverb

Old 08-14-2016, 09:55 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,850,501 times
Where do I even start!!!

- Our income remains more or less the same through the years but our apartment rent, utilities, grocery bills keep going up
- Your salary being adjusted for inflation is a thing of the past. You are lucky to even have a job
- I have to work extra hard so that my job doesn't get outsourced
- I am paying more income tax now
- The college tuition keeps going up so I have to save more money for kids & its getting really tough for me
- Getting approved for a home loan is much more difficult now & chances of bank turning you down are more now than before
- Law enforcement officers are being attacked & I feel sorry for them. They are here to keep me safe but it feels like I am on my own now as they have bigger problems of their own.
- I prefer shopping online than going to the mall as public spaces are becoming less safe & more prone to security threats.
- I dont know if I will get any social security in future
- My health insurance is not as good as it used to be so I have less health benefits now

But these are issues of only hardworking Americans. The illegal immigrants, refugees & free loaders are very happy so you will get a very positive response from them. I am paying their bills so ofcourse I am going to complain. Please disregard my bickering.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,983,194 times
We have lost our right to self-determination. Consequently, we have lost our right to have a government by and for the people.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 AM

45,362 posts, read 26,624,629 times
Has anyone seen the right for my private business to hire,fire and serve who I please?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:01 AM

934 posts, read 1,134,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Where do I even start!!!

- Our income remains more or less the same through the years but our apartment rent, utilities, grocery bills keep going up
- Your salary being adjusted for inflation is a thing of the past. You are lucky to even have a job
- The college tuition keeps going up so I have to save more money for kids & its getting really tough for me
- Getting approved for a home loan is much more difficult now & chances of bank turning you down are more now than before
- Law enforcement officers are being attacked & I feel sorry for them. They are here to keep me safe but it feels like I am on my own now as they have bigger problems of their own.
- I prefer shopping online than going to the mall as public spaces are becoming less safe & more prone to security threats.
- My health insurance is not as good as it used to be so I have less health benefits now

But these are issues of only hardworking Americans. The illegal immigrants, refugees & free loaders are very happy so you will get a very positive response from them. I am paying their bills so ofcourse I am going to complain. Please disregard my bickering.

SS aside, which of those are "Rights"?

Old 08-14-2016, 11:15 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,458,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Where do I even start!!!

Thank you for your detailed and informative post...these are all perceived freedoms lost and valid for this thread..IMHO.

A few things...The stats show that Americans have paid a lot more in taxes, at times, in the past..as expressed in percentage.

Again statistically, your chances of getting caught in a mass shooting, bombing, etc., rank much lower than your chances of being hit by lightning..not to downplay the issue. The constant yammering of the news cycle and the internet create a climate of fear..that is a bit overstated..again..IMHO.

Don't know about free-loaders..as to whom they might be. I know that there is always abuses in a system, so I'm guessing that is who you mean.
Most Refugees that I know..and I know a few..are hard-working and keep to themselves. Whether they take Native-born American jobs or not is another discussion..but working people contribute.

Hmmm...on the subject of a safer country. I'm old enough to remember the 60's and 70's. Cities in flames..across the nation...the regular army deployed in the streets of Detroit...snipers of the rooftops of Watts. The US govt. importing cocaine in order to fund extra-legal operations. Later, Okie City bombing, The Order killing Alan Berg..and on and on and on....my take? The world has always been dangerous..again the media and the internet inflate the issues..thus breeding fear.

College...I'm with you on that one..we need to get the ..for-profit...element trimmed down and recognize that an educated populace in vital to our interests as a nation.

Again thank you for posting.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,807,894 times
Liberties lost, do not come from Congress so much, unless there is a supermajority

They come from the Presidents alphabet agencies, under his control and direction, until government or the supreme court stops them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies