Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Now, what I would like to see are more Republicans appealing to Asians, and Mid Easterners and other groups of color who are open minded.
I happen to be Asian, and if the Republicans want to widen their appeal, they can start by cutting the xenophobia. Stop with hating on Muslims, for one. It's not that hard, really; George W. Bush actually wasn't Islamophobic and Hispaniphobic and he did fairly well with them.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Actually that pretty much did it.

Then it was further reinforced with Reagan kicking off his 1980 campaign in Mississippi talking about how he supported states rights knowing what that meant in the south.

Then there is the issue of Republicans wanting to cut gov't while large numbers of the Black middle class have gov't jobs.
He didn't kick it off in Mississippi. That's one of those myths that never seems to die.

No, Ronald Reagan Didn't Launch His 1980 Campaign in Philadelphia, MS | RedState

Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osufootballfan32 View Post
The African Americans began migrating to the democratic party in the 30s. FDR gathered 71% of the African American vote in 1936. Another big migration came in the 60s. LBJ gathered upwards of 90% of African American votes. He did sign the civil rights act of 1964 and the voting rights act of 1965 and finally the fair housing bill of 1968. It does need to be noted though that based on percentages the Republican Party supported the civil rights act of 1964, the voting rights act of 1965, and the fair housing bill of 1968 in a greater degree than the Democratic Party did. We also know that all but three of the 'Dixiecrats' returned back to the Democratic Party. The switchees to the GOP were SC senator Strom Thurmond, VA governor Miles Godwin, and NC senator Jesse Helms (All but Thurmound switched in the 70s and all but Helm rechanted and apologized for their beliefs before their death). We can also dissect the "southern strategy theory" (Nixon had essentially a perfect civil rights record, was praised by MLK jr and desegrated 70% of all southern schools by the end of his presidency) and the rise of Goldwater (who's record on civil rights was fairly good, he advocated for equal rights but held on to his libertarian POV of state rights). There is more that can be said but it would take a full paper.

What are your thoughts? Why do African Americans continue to vote Democrat?
force of habit?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:32 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because we want to.

If there was a better alternative, we'd take it. But obviously there isn't.

That's enough explanation. Actually, it's too much.
There's no alternative to Democratic 'leadership' that has created vast ghettos, impoverishment, dependency and poor education?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I happen to be Asian, and if the Republicans want to widen their appeal, they can start by cutting the xenophobia. Stop with hating on Muslims, for one.
I'd prefer Republicans appeal to the entrepreneurial interests of the two groups--primarily amongst small business owners and start-ups, which Mid Easterners and Asians have plenty of.

I'm against the GOP going against common sense security measures which are attacked by catch phrases such as "xenophobia" and "hating on Muslims."

There is no way that I can be convinced that protecting the southern border, rewarding bad behavior (aka amnesty) and allowing refugees from war-torn countries come in here through a steady flow without a proper vetting system.

If the majority of Asians and Mid Easterners can't understand that, then so be it. Let the Dems win and pass that legislation and have their way with it because there is no way that am I giving in to any of that.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
"There is no way that I can be convinced that protecting the southern border, rewarding bad behavior (aka amnesty) and allowing refugees from war-torn countries come in here through a steady flow without a proper vetting system."

So your cool with invaders using the northern borders. I wonder why is this.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
"There is no way that I can be convinced that protecting the southern border, rewarding bad behavior (aka amnesty) and allowing refugees from war-torn countries come in here through a steady flow without a proper vetting system."

So your cool with invaders using the northern borders. I wonder why is this.
please explain how you came to this conclusion...

Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Wish I had Black Privilege so I could get mediocre grades and go to any university I want. Shame at 18 I learned White Privilege was really code for "No Grants for You".
How do to thousands of other white kids find grants?

Nearly all of my white college pals got grants. Why couldn't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
He didn't kick it off in Mississippi. That's one of those myths that never seems to die.

No, Ronald Reagan Didn't Launch His 1980 Campaign in Philadelphia, MS | RedState
No matter.

Reagan went to Philadelphia and pandered regardless....and we know what was behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
There's no alternative to Democratic 'leadership' that has created vast ghettos, impoverishment, dependency and poor education?
Prove to me that Republicans would do better?

Judging from the conditions of poor whites that I see (who vote faithfully for the GOP), I'm not convinced.

So...whatever.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Then why are there more Blacks with college educations, professional jobs, a middle class standard of living, and, well, being in better shape than any other time in history? Last I check, those living in the ghettos don't make up the majority of the Black population. Last I checked, ghettos existed before the "Great Society".

Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Agreed. As an AA, I've said this for quite some time.

Republicans are wasting their time, money and breath attempting to appeal to the Black American community.

I remember both Romney and Rand Paul attempted to make appeals to the AA community by addressing the concerns of those low income communities only to be chased out of there without a single thing to show for it.

The Dems sent their protest groups to call them "racists" without an ounce of evidence and knocked them right out of there.

Now, what I would like to see are more Republicans appealing to Asians, and Mid Easterners and other groups of color who are open minded.
As an African-American, I disagree. Rand Paul actually got more approval from Blacks than any other candidate. John Kasich did okay among Blacks. It was really only Mitt Romney who did poorly among Blacks, and minorities in general.

Rand Paul is getting more black support than almost any other Republican – Rare

The candidate who did the worst among Blacks is Donald Trump. Strangely enough, he won the nomination. I notice the one who did the worst among Blacks is the most popular at this point.

Can you prove Democrats sent people to protest Republicans? Or is this some conspiracy theory crap?

As an African-American, I have to ask this of you. What do you plan to do with yourself in terms of politics. You don't have to tell me who you're voting for. I just need to know how you think people feel about you. I ask this because I know that as an African-American, I'm pretty much belonging to the most looked down on ethnic group in the nation. That weighs on me alot.

Something else. The majority of Asians and Hispanics vote Democrat, but they are faring better than Blacks? Perhaps it has nothing to do with D vs R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies