Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Since when have Blacks ever had either? Believe it or not, this is the best Blacks have had it in the USA.

I don't believe it. Blacks and whites for that matter were doing better in the 90's and 80's and probably earlier while the country was still 85% white. There are plenty of statistics showing blacks have been economically worse since 1990. But even if blacks were doing better, they are not doing as good as they could be doing without the 60 million immigrants and continuing. Blacks are supporting progressive policies that are going to increase their poverty and crime victimization rate. You just wait and see.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:23 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Let the libs have their own state, so they can go live in their Balkanized Utopia, I just hope they are far away from me.

though already in em hills away from folks?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You know why Chinatowns came into existence in the first place? Because Chinese weren't allowed to live in a lot of other places and they also had to band together for protection from folks like Denis Kearney. So it was an enforced enclave to begin with.

I'm glad that nowadays Asians, Blacks, Latinos, Whites can live anywhere they want now.
Don't be a bigot, you left out many other races and cultural special interest ethnic groups, and what about the LGBTQIA...etc...?? HMMM?

Seriously though, after the liberal democrat politicians get done Bulkanizing the nation and separating us all into multiple disparate groups, no one will be allowed to get along with anyone else, without government intervention. There won't be enough egg shells on the planet to walk on, in order to not offend someone's tender sensibilities.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't believe it. Blacks and whites for that matter were doing better in the 90's and 80's and probably earlier while the country was still 85% white. There are plenty of statistics showing blacks have been economically worse since 1990. But even if blacks were doing better, they are not doing as good as they could be doing without the 60 million immigrants and continuing. Blacks are supporting progressive policies that are going to increase their poverty and crime victimization rate. You just wait and see.
the economy has dropped for all, yes bowls in the US have it harder, and as the posted above stated the Asians where held to a bowl-- so where the black Americans- I think the new generations will eventually get rid of the old angry men,and it will balance out- the millennials dont have as many hang ups- talking about the separations- how about we force the old angry people go to Arizona-- NOT Florida- I'm sick of them now... and wonder how much more peaceful life would be

Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
What I mean is that you're obsessed with only two out of the multiple races represented in this country. IRL though you're probably obsessed with just one.
Because there are only two races that seem to butt heads to this extent in this country...

We don't see Asians or Italians or even Hispanics claiming they can't get ahead because of institutional racism from whites. We don't see them claiming that racist white cops are murdering them in the streets for no reason other than hate. We don't see them protesting that the system is rigged against them. We don't see any other race bemoaning some invisible force of white privilege. We don't even have this kind of conflict between whites and, of all people, Native Americans, who, save for African Americans, have probably the most legitimate grievance against and fraught history with the white race.

Something else to remember is that all those races and communities I mentioned above and more, have had to suffer discrimination at the hands of whites to some degree at some point in our nation's history, but they have all managed to move forward and have found success at carving out their place in this country. African Americans haven't seemed to be able to do this, and slavery, Jim Crow, and the racism of the past are the only injustices that we seem to be forced to re-litigate over and over again to this day.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-24-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Don't be a bigot, you left out many other races and cultural special interest ethnic groups, and what about the LGBTQIA...etc...?? HMMM?

Seriously though, after the liberal democrat politicians get done Bulkanizing the nation and separating us all into multiple disparate groups, no one will be allowed to get along with anyone else, without government intervention. There won't be enough egg shells on the planet to walk on, in order to not offend someone's tender sensibilities.
I really don't know what you're talking about or addressing, other than a scattershot knee-jerk response. But I'll take a guess and address your general sentiment as follows:

Buddy, I really feel sorry for you.

It must suck to see your bitter ethnocentric tendencies challenged and knowing that you're on the wrong side of demography. Or to know that you actually have to share the fruits of this society instead of hogging it all for yourself.

It's a free country, and you're free to wallow in your bitter anger, rage and resentment to wish it was 1956 again. Or you can join the rest of us in the present day and future. Bless your heart and have a nice day!

Last edited by silverkris; 08-24-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
A "diversity lens" anecdote from City-Data.

There was a poster on here who posted posted mostly in the Maryland Forum (he's now Not A Member) who I had as a student. I figured out who he was fairly early although if he figured out who I was he never let on.

We got into a discussion about his school system which is majority Black as was every single school (some are now close to being slightly majority Hispanic).

He was complaining about how he, as a Black student felt out of place when he was in high school since he had very few Black teachers and almost no Black classmates.

During his four years in high school there were 10 White teachers out of 65, 0 out of 4 White administrators and 1 out of 4 White Counselors.

There were 80 White students out of just under 1100.

I had those figures on student numbers handy since one of my duties was compiling them for various reports.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Controversial idea, but it feels like that's where we're headed in this country, like that's the eventual, logical conclusion to what's going on right now. We're told that whites cannot be relied upon to fairly police black neighborhoods, and that police forces need to look like the communities they patrol. There's a thread on here about blacks only banking with black owned banks. We've seen where defendants get a new trial on the basis of the jury being majority white. Groups like Black Lives Matter and others claim the existence of a force of institutional racism and oppression at work.... And a lot of whites see a completely different reality altogether, which means the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...

Interesting fact: After the Civil War, one plan that was floated was to give freed slaves their very own territory / country, but that plan never came to fruition. Frederick Douglas, among others, wanted to be part of the fabric of this great American Experiment.

Is racial harmony a tried and failed experiment? Is the great Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream dead? Would whites and blacks be happier living separate from each other, and would it really solve anything?
Only certain whites and certain blacks will want to segregate. The rest will continue to enjoy family picnics together.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:51 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the economy has dropped for all, yes bowls in the US have it harder, and as the posted above stated the Asians where held to a bowl-- so where the black Americans- I think the new generations will eventually get rid of the old angry men,and it will balance out- the millennials dont have as many hang ups- talking about the separations- how about we force the old angry people go to Arizona-- NOT Florida- I'm sick of them now... and wonder how much more peaceful life would be
Yeah, it would be like Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, and many other progressive communities. Not much of a choice, guess I'll have to live with the red necks

Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I don't really want anything to happen now. What should have happened years ago after slavery was abolished is we should have shipped them back to their countries they were sold from. And a wall should have been built around Mexico. Or the groups who start protests and riots because they feel they are discriminated against should voluntarily go back to their countries.
You do understand that the slaves didn't know which country they came from? Most of them still don't. They didn't speak the language. The slave owners didn't even know where these people came from. They bought them at auction.

Chew on that for a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies