Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,951,273 times

Advertisements

What is funny is if I put up post stating the homeless tend to be violent dopeheads some of the same people defending the families because the homeless tend to be violent dopeheads would disagree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:03 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,637,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. Its not as extreme as you might think. But really the question I asked is whats relevant, and you did not answer it.

When is it ok not to in your opinion? I gave an example that was extreme because I thought folks might agree, and then I asked....is there a list?

People become homeless for a ton of reasons. We can't expect families to care for them. Often families have tried, and are tired of trying. Often theres been harsh words exchanged.

Its kind of like how we went and got social security. I mean the same argument could be made for disbanding social security. And its nonsense.

The REALITY:
People may not have families
Families may choose to not help for a LARGE variety of reasons.

What are valid and invalid reasons?

What if instead of homeless, they're just desperately poor?

Oh wait, thats often how it is for everyone involved!
I think basically what we're looking at in this thread is, a question of family values, where as homeless people with family and can or will that family assist.

The first question that is going to be asked of a person who might be seeking help of an organization is ... 'do you have family that can help?'

The reason being, family is still considered a stable structure. Even though in 2016, we should know enough not to believe that any more ...

Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,637,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What is funny is if I put up post stating the homeless tend to be violent dopeheads some of the same people defending the families because the homeless tend to be violent dopeheads would disagree with me.
Don't those people usually find themselves in a jail cell, thus eliminating the homeless part?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:08 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,724,927 times
Easier said than done. If you're a single mom of children and your brother has drug problems are you going to allow him near your children? That's just one example.

Also, believe it or not some families just aren't close to each other. That's not to say you wish ill harm. But if you never had a close relationship with a sibling & they are where they are at because of there own poor choices. Well is it really your responsibility? Maybe that sounds cold. But you'd also be surprised how many families have tried to help only to see that person reject the help or just not be willing to reach common ground and change. Life is very short. If you're trying to be a caring family member but that one homeless family member is making your life hard then shame on them.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,382,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Only if the people don't have the aptitude to find the resources that can help.

Homelessness is a situation that is as diverse as the people themselves. There isn't a one-size fits all solution.
The major problem in this country is that resources for the mentally ill are next to non-existent. Especially when these folks become adults.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 AM

19,779 posts, read 10,221,384 times
Don't know about elsewhere, but in Missouri, the courts ruled that putting people in a mental institution if they were not a danger was illegal. So now, many of those people are homeless.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No helping is the opposite of holier than thou. It is putting forth the best effort you can to try to help someone else, related to you, in their neediest moment.
It is the family's job.
Not acquaintances, not government. family.

No it's not. If an adult chooses to live outside as a drug addict/alcoholic that is their choice and there is no way I would bring someone like that into my home around my children.
If you want to that is your choice but do not dare tell me it is *my job* to take in someone just because
we were born into the same family and then attempt to make me look like a horrible person who should feel guilty. If you have experienced anything like I have you might just want to change jobs.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,382,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Don't know about elsewhere, but in Missouri, the courts ruled that putting people in a mental institution if they were not a danger was illegal. So now, many of those people are homeless.
Yes, this country all but got rid of institutions, thinkiing it was a good idea.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,874,820 times
Many homeless people are mentally ill and they do not want to be helped. Those who are not, probably are being helped by family. I have taken in numerous family members when they were about to be homeless and let them stay with me.

I was homeless a couple times in my life and stayed with relatives during that time as well. I also once had to stay in one of those extended stay motels for a month due to not having a place to live.

However, I have also worked in housing and I know for a fact that taking care of severely mentally ill people can be VERY difficult as they are adults and they have the final say so in their care/lodgings unless you have power of attorney over them. IMO, OP you have never had to deal with anyone who is schizophrenic or who has a severe case of bi-polar disorder. If you did, you would know that you cannot help people who don't want to be helped.

Also, I lived in Atlanta and a large amount of their homeless male population are veterans who suffer from PTSD. Many qualify for SSDI and for VASH housing assistance, but if they don't follow through on what they need to do, they will not get it and it is difficult getting them to where they can help us help them. I knew many guys who chose to live out in the woods in Atlanta versus going to a shelter or to a family member's homes. Homelessness is much more than just giving your relative a place to stay. I'll also note that I have seen Latino homeless people. I have even seen an Asian homeless person. The Asian man had schizophrenia.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,383,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Easier said than done. If you're a single mom of children and your brother has drug problems are you going to allow him near your children? That's just one example.

Thank you. People don't understand how dangerous some people can be, even family members. Drug users often get involved with some VERY bad people. I have lived a clean life and any threats or harm that came to me was through family members involved with bad people. Them being addicts or bipolar or whatever, the risk is the same. Sometimes the threat is from the family member themselves, you don't always know people. I have family I am afraid of, an unemployed skinhead with violent history, his mother makes excuses, lies for him and enables. I stay away from all of them. He is a couch surfer, homeless, if something happened to his mother should I take him in -no thanks.

Ive known too many parents who protect their "troubled babies" from homelessness, effectively harboring criminals, and putting themselves and other family members at risk, sometimes risk turns to tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies