Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,109,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many homeless people are veterans, or combat servicemen who received bogus bad papers.

Many of them don't have families, many of them came from dysfunctional families. Many of them are victims of domestic violence, many of them lost hope.

We are all equal. If you want to give them some free food, beer, over the counter drugs, money (I am sure it won't bankrupt you), you are doing the good deed. Please think about how lucky you are that you have families who care about you. Not everybody is as lucky as you are.
If I gave every homeless person begging for money here on my day to day routine I couldn't survive myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What is funny is if I put up post stating the homeless tend to be violent dopeheads some of the same people defending the families because the homeless tend to be violent dopeheads would disagree with me.
LOL.

Or... if their dopehead family member turns out to be the musical artist Prince or some other rich celebrity hooked on drugs they'll be calling that family member up looking for handouts. But if that family member were to loose everything they'll shut their door on him or her.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 PM

19,727 posts, read 10,144,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
The "nuclear family" became the prevailing sociological and moral theme for the construct of the family in the United States during the 1950's. The nuclear family is distinguished from the "extended family," where this latter construct was the prevailing theme throughout most of American history up into about the 1940's or 1950's.

The nuclear family came under attack during the 1960's and 1970's by feminist males and women. They proposed single parent homes and abortion.

The conservatives are really big on championing the nuclear family. For me the nuclear family is okay but the extended family is even better. But both modern Western liberals and conservatives disdain the extended family. Italy is possibly the only "wealthy" Western nation that still values the extended family as a good. Throughout most of the rest of the world (outside the West) the extended family is still part of the normal and accepted social fabric of their respective societies.

But in the West (with the exception of Italy maybe) the extended family is seen as "country" and not sophisticated, cool, or pridefully independent.

The nuclear family and single parent social constructs in away promote homelessness.

The Latinos and Asians in the USA often have extended family norms. Black-Americans do too. But Black-Americans have adopted more of the white American's attitudes towards it and so look down their noses upon it more than the Latinos and Asians.

On a side note, when you see these Latino extended families packed into one house, you can see how those households reduce the cost of living per working age individual. This also allows persons to put more of their income away into savings. And savings or disposable income also provides money for investment.

Conservatives want private charities (usually not well funded) to provide for the homeless and liberals want the state to provide for the homeless. Both are united in their contempt for the extended family though.

There are some American families that are large and strong and could operate like a landed dynasty or a mafia. But those are the exception and not the norm. In many families each sibling and relative is your rival and enemy and your family and religion is your political party.
Go grab a college sociology book. The nuclear family was a myth.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,887,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Go grab a college sociology book. The nuclear family was a myth.
It was? It wasn't a myth in any neighborhoods I grew up in. Grand parents lived in their own home and all the children lived with their married opposite-sex parents.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:06 AM

23,235 posts, read 29,080,592 times
When I see a homeless person on the streets I see nothing but $$$$$ being drained from taxpayers.

On a national average, it costs taxpayers $42,500 a year for each homeless person on our streets!

The chief costs: Emergency room visits, hospitalization, rehab, ambulance trips, and for some, a trip to a Long-Term Care Facility.

The costs are identical to keeping someone in prison!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:32 AM

19,727 posts, read 10,144,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It was? It wasn't a myth in any neighborhoods I grew up in. Grand parents lived in their own home and all the children lived with their married opposite-sex parents.
You just like to think that. Statistics prove otherwise.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:14 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If I gave every homeless person begging for money here on my day to day routine I couldn't survive myself.
I am sure you understand common sense.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:39 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
I know that some of you won't want to believe this, but some homeless -- especially some homeless young people -- would rather be homeless than live with parental rules.

I have personally known three young people who told me they thought being homeless was great because the youth shelter -- at least one of those in Denver -- will provide a bed and shower facilities to the homeless young with the only conditions being that they don't get into a physical fight with any of the other kids, that they just don't hang out at the shelter during the day, and that they return by curfew at night. They said it was easy to get enough money for food just by telling some nice-looking person a hard luck story. So, when the weather was warm, it was just like a party for them.

Come winter, though, it was a different story.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:54 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,143,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
The "nuclear family" became the prevailing sociological and moral theme for the construct of the family in the United States during the 1950's. The nuclear family is distinguished from the "extended family," where this latter construct was the prevailing theme throughout most of American history up into about the 1940's or 1950's.

The nuclear family came under attack during the 1960's and 1970's by feminist males and women. They proposed single parent homes and abortion.

The conservatives are really big on championing the nuclear family. For me the nuclear family is okay but the extended family is even better. But both modern Western liberals and conservatives disdain the extended family. Italy is possibly the only "wealthy" Western nation that still values the extended family as a good. Throughout most of the rest of the world (outside the West) the extended family is still part of the normal and accepted social fabric of their respective societies.

But in the West (with the exception of Italy maybe) the extended family is seen as "country" and not sophisticated, cool, or pridefully independent.

The nuclear family and single parent social constructs in away promote homelessness.

The Latinos and Asians in the USA often have extended family norms. Black-Americans do too. But Black-Americans have adopted more of the white American's attitudes towards it and so look down their noses upon it more than the Latinos and Asians.

On a side note, when you see these Latino extended families packed into one house, you can see how those households reduce the cost of living per working age individual. This also allows persons to put more of their income away into savings. And savings or disposable income also provides money for investment.

Conservatives want private charities (usually not well funded) to provide for the homeless and liberals want the state to provide for the homeless. Both are united in their contempt for the extended family though.

There are some American families that are large and strong and could operate like a landed dynasty or a mafia. But those are the exception and not the norm. In many families each sibling and relative is your rival and enemy and your family and religion is your political party.
Well said....+1

Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You take care of family...mentally ill or not.
No you don't. I have a cousin who is homeless. He's a mean alcoholic. My grandparents gave him their house and car free and clear "because they felt sorry for him because he is poor". My aunt with cancer had to help him pay the bills because he couldn't hold a job long. She was dying but he was verbally abusive toward her making her last days a living hell. She died and his free ride was gone. He couldn't pay the bills, trashed the house and lost the house. The house is now boarded up. My grandmother kept this house white glove clean before she passed, spotless to a fault. Now they say the house is full of cat pee and feces and beer cans and booze bottles everywhere, filthy. Now remember, that house was "mortgage free"

My mom in her 70's took him in with the promise he wouldn't drink and would get a job but he couldn't keep a job because of his drinking and my mom kept giving him another chance. She didn't charge him anything. We noticed mom becoming different, quiet. We found out that he he was drinking and was verbally abusive, always threatening her, getting in her face and we kicked him out. The change in my mom was dramatic once she knew we were not going to let him back. After he was gone we found out he had used her SS number and got a credit card in her name with him as an authorized buyer. Of course we closed the account, filed a police report. He kept calling harassing my mother so a PFA was filed. Our family is rid of him for good. He comes near my mom I'll call the police and have arrested and he knows I'll do it so he stays away.

There is more that would make you sick but that's enough, you should get the point.

Now you were saying OP? Some people are given more help and chances than they deserve and they still blow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies