Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:12 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times

Advertisements

Both of your sources are from corporate right wing groups. "Stand for Children/Stand.org" appears to be child welfare oriented group but in fact they are connected to corporate right wing groups.
For or Against Children

The republican issue of privatizing schools is not for the benefit of children, but rather its connected to a broader republican plan to privatize the Post Office, Public libraries, prisons, Social Security, ex.ex. The republicans want to privatize these government agencies to transfer their funding to corporate America and Wall Street.

And groups like your first source don't just focus on children. They also focus on things like union-busting (because unions cause higher worker wages and higher worker wages directly lower corporate profits.)
Tracking the money funding conservative school boards

But then other countries privatize some of their government agencies and many non-corporate groups believe Charter Schools are a good thing. But Charter schools (even outside of republican corporate hands) have downsides.

"#1 Charter Schools are NOT Public Schools... Public Schools are Child Centered... Charter Schools are Profit Centered."

"#2 Charter schools siphon off money from public schools. The whole point of charter schools is to use tax payer money to increase corporate profits."

"#3 Charter Schools are NOT Non-profits. Instead the need to make a profit makes them much more expensive than comparable public schools."

ex.ex.

https://weaponsofmassdeception.org/3...-harm-children

I fully concede that US government agencies are inefficient. And I concede that America's public schools could be much, much better. But then some/many public schools in America are first class (like those in Lafayette, La.)

The bottom line is republican plans to privatize schools are connected to a broader corporate agenda. Like abolishing the EPA so they can no longer fine and regulate corporations, or abolishing the "Occupational Safety and Health Act" so its cheaper to run factories, or abolishing the "Consumer Product Safety Commission" to lower corporate expenses.

What Do the Koch Brothers Want? - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Personally I believe that Charter schools could be a good thing especially in poverty stricken areas (but I don't want a republican corporate agenda anywhere around it.)

Old 09-08-2016, 05:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
It screws over the worst students.
Yes, who tend to be the worst because they have bad parents. Who tend to skew towards the poor.

Quote:
That is what competition does. It separates the goats from the sheep
For children, yes. Competition separates them.

While it's always in an individual parents' interest to see that his or her child gets the best education possible, I would say that it isn't in society's best interests to segregate out children whose parents do not care, or do not know any better.

Quote:
Equalism destroys humanity itself.
Perhaps in the most extreme manifestations, like you might read about in a science fiction novel, yes. But "equalism" hardly describes our present state.

Quote:
The left whines that some of the better students go to the charter school, especially those that have parents to try to get them there. Yeah, we need to make it so the orphaned from parents dying on dope do just as well.
Well they won't do as well, and you can't expect them to. But concentrating them together and isolating them from middle or upper-middle class norms is to actively make their problems worse.

Quote:
See the left is happy that a good student has to be in a gang infested school with union employees and blends in with the idiots, unable to distinguish themselves. Its all more equal this way.
Public sector unions are actually illegal where I live.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:44 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Except their pupil are choosen randomly and are overwhelmingly minority. Except that in NYC minority means majority, i.e., their pupils and applicants are overwhelmingly black and Hispanic.
That random lottery is something you have to sign up for so only involved parents will do so in the first place. Special ed students somehow don't win the random lottery either. Then the school can "counsel out" kids they don't want to deal with.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:46 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Grade fixing, access to tests are common practices in public school districts all across the country. Especially in urban ones.

NYC public schools got staff standardized test removed from staff evaluations and replaced with "life outcomes". i.e., nothing
Standardized tests do not prove a teacher's worth. And you are totally off and misrepresenting the "life outcomes".

Old 09-08-2016, 05:48 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Not all not even half do that and if they put students 2nd then why are students doing BETTER at charter schools? Its simple. The teachers can be fired if the students don't learn. Can't do that so easy at a public school

Why do you say that? Its school CHOICE but its very words it means ANY parent can CHOOSE to send their child somewhere.
1. Charter schools usually don't have to take everybody like the public schools do. You have a very elitist attitude.

2. You can fire or otherwise get rid of bad teachers. As a retired principal, I did. More than once.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I forgot one of the liberal policies, better to drag EVERYONE down than let some succeed.
Yes, we know. You want the elite to succeed. We get that.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Charter schools usually don't have to take everybody like the public schools do. You have a very elitist attitude.

2. You can fire or otherwise get rid of bad teachers. As a retired principal, I did. More than once.
Hard to fire and get rid of etc with a union involved. I know all about it my mother is a retired teacher.I don't care if the charter schools take everyone or not its their personal choice.The educational scores show charter schools are better for ALL kids involved. The left merely wants little drones controlled by a dumbed down agenda.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,549 times
Funny thing is. I started this thread 2 days ago? Yesterday I found a book called Conform:Exposing the truth about common core and public education by Glenn Beck

Weird how things intersect with one another. Glenn Beck is an idiot and I can't stand him but he writes a few decent books.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Hard to fire and get rid of etc with a union involved. I know all about it my mother is a retired teacher.I don't care if the charter schools take everyone or not its their personal choice.The educational scores show charter schools are better for ALL kids involved. The left merely wants little drones controlled by a dumbed down agenda.
You can't point to a school who takes select kids and compare their results to a school which takes all kids.

And again, take it from an actual principal, if there's a teacher who needs to be fired, and the administrator is doing his or her job, it can be done with little problem.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, we know. You want the elite to succeed. We get that.
You want everyone and everything dumbed down for so called "equality".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies