Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Theresa is spent. If she can somehow get her deal through Parliament next week, against the odds, she will go down in history, as the woman who led us out of the EU. She will then walk away from the scene like John Wayne in The Searchers.

One day, there will be a movie made of all this. She will be the heroine of said movie if she can just see this through. Come on Trixie, hang on!!
She does not even need to get this deal passed to get you guys out of the EU at this point. Do you really believe that the UK Parliament is likely to pass this proposal now on the third time through, after voting it down most recently just eight days before? I sure don't.

In order for you guys to NOT exit with no deal, the UK Parliament has to pass something big to stop it. Again, here are the options:
  1. A short extension not past June 30, 2019 (Passed by the UK Parliament on Thursday - The EU27 must unanimously approve this request)
  2. Brexit with the already negotiated deal (Already voted down twice)
  3. A long extension for a second referendum (Already voted down once)
  4. Revocation of Brexit (Article 50) (Apparently too controversial for any MP to even propose)

Option 1 just delays Brexit with no deal until June 30, 2019 - But only if the EU27 unanimously approves. Otherwise, March 29, 2019, out you go.

For there to be anything other than Brexit with no deal, one of the options 2-4 MUST be passed by the UK Parliament. Which one of options 2-4 do you think has any REAL chance to pass the UK Parliament now? It does not appear to me that any of them do.

As far as the movie, that is a certainty. I wonder who they will get to play her? If I was an actor, I would want to play Nigel Farage in that movie. That would be fun.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 PM

434 posts, read 248,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
For there to be anything other than Brexit with no deal, one of the options 2-4 MUST be passed by the UK Parliament. Which one of options 2-4 do you think has any REAL chance to pass the UK Parliament now? It does not appear to me that any of them do.
Nah 50 can be canned without a vote.

She'd get lynched immediately afterwards but she'll also get that for a no deal.

Who'd want to May on the 28th weighing up how she's going to be hated.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,703 times
UK has two options when it comes down to it with or without an extension: current deal or no deal. If you think the EU is going to let you walk away without sticking a dagger in you, you are mistaken.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:39 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Nah 50 can be canned without a vote.

She'd get lynched immediately afterwards but she'll also get that for a no deal.

Who'd want to May on the 28th weighing up how she's going to be hated.
The sun can explode tomorrow too. But not likely. There will be no withdrawal of article 50.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The sun can explode tomorrow too. But not likely. There will be no withdrawal of article 50.
Your probably right, but it's still an option, if the UK leaves on the 29th while it may be by default, May would have had the tool to prevent it and chosen not to use it.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
The removal of "No Deal" was never approved by the EU. They rejected it. It remains the default should there be no extension nor a deal signed.
The no deal was turned down by parliament. And therefore would not be an acceptable English outcome.

And we will finally see when the backs actually get against the wall. Last 3 or 4 days before the no deal exit occurs.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Your probably right, but it's still an option, if the UK leaves on the 29th while it may be by default, May would have had the tool to prevent it and chosen not to use it.

I'm not sure if the PM has the legal authority to withdraw article 50 on her own. But she has said repeatedly that she won't do it. And she survived at least two votes of no confidence where Parliament could have gotten someone else who would.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if the PM has the legal authority to withdraw article 50 on her own. But she has said repeatedly that she won't do it. And she survived at least two votes of no confidence where Parliament could have gotten someone else who would.
You look like you are very close to getting your first red star.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
It's kind of confused but it looks like 50 can be revoked via an executive order. The EU side would be fine with it, the UK side is a grey area that would likely only be settled in court, by which time the withdrawal would have be long enacted.

She would never have alluded to it even if it was on the cards as it would have got her straight out the door.

Who knows what's actually in her head if the crunch comes, she's finished either way. Maybe She'd toss a coin for it.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Who knows what's actually in her head if the crunch comes, she's finished either way. Maybe She'd toss a coin for it.
I don't think so. I'm thoroughly convinced that she intends to deliver what the people voted for. She's not going to let Parliament's decision not to sign her deal, to be a mechanism to throw out BRexit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies