Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:05 AM

15,665 posts, read 10,439,676 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding, original poster? Workers would be lining up and camping out for weeks to apply for a job before the doors to a new manufacturing facility even opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 AM

19,758 posts, read 12,319,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When mom & dad dies and the assets are distributed to the kids... Starvation has a way of acting as a motivator.

When my dad died, my sister had to bust a move and get off her ass.
A lot of people will just freeload off someone else when they lose their source. Now I see a lot of young men living off of women, either family members like older sisters, or girlfriends who totally support them. Women can usually find some sucker to support them too, freeloading is a skill.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,750,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Do you really think that the average Millennial with a liberal arts degree working at Starbucks in a big city is going to move to Dayton, OH for a $50/hr blue collar job?

I would cut peoples welfare if they refused to relocate to where the work is needed. Why should be only have to accept a job if it is within 5 miles of where they were born or live????

Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,531,346 times
We have lots of manufacturing jobs that people want. When a new automobile factory is built it's not like they have to bring in foreigners to work there, they get far more applications than positions.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 AM

29,693 posts, read 14,782,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The average lawyer salary is $133k/yr, which is less than $100/hr (unless they're somehow working part-time at a $100/hr rate), it takes more than just "a few years" to get there, and they start out with $150,000+ in debt. Your argument also makes the false assumption that the fresh-out-of-law-school lawyer is more motivated and has more room for income growth than the tradesman. In fact, the field of Law is known to be a pyramid structure where only a few make it to the level of 6 figures. Remember that with how averages are calculated, if you have 1 person making $250k/yr and 2 people making $40k/yr, the average salary of that group is $110k/yr.

For that average of $133k per year, I wonder how many hours of work is involved ? Are those 40 hour work weeks or 80 ?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 501,325 times
Um, I would disagree with that, I counsel plenty of Millennial kids especially young men who would want to work such manufacturing jobs. Good with their hands and take pride in their work. More of this "jobs Americans won't do" BS used to justify sending Americna jobs out.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 AM

17,024 posts, read 12,636,765 times
Of course they will. You will have FAR fewer takers in Alpine NJ than Dover NJ. Now, the worst of the worst jobs like BOF platform, or a coke oven, probably not but mfg is tending toward assembly types, you will have plenty of takers, especially if its Dayton Ohio at say a base of 16 bucks an hour. Seattle is a cool as hell town, and an awful place to raise a family on 16 bucks an hour.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:00 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,969,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I still think higher education is very important for too many people to move away from it.

Our local solutions include a low cost university, and a community college offering many trades.
I'm not saying higher education isn't important - I think it's critical. My point is that society has done one or two generations a huge disservice by pointing almost all kids towards academic higher education instead of vocational higher education.

Jobs requiring a college degree are much easier to outsource than a plumber, HVAC technician or mechanic. How many parents know that quality heavy diesel mechanics are almost certain to be earning 6 figures? And yet those positions are hard to fill.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:00 AM

17,024 posts, read 12,636,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I would cut peoples welfare if they refused to relocate to where the work is needed. Why should be only have to accept a job if it is within 5 miles of where they were born or live????
You wont like the answer but its simple. For many, grandma watches the kids for free. Grandma aint moving anywhere. I know MANY working class families.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:07 AM

32,181 posts, read 34,852,961 times
Who would buy American products?

An "All-American" made iPhone would cost around $2,000.

https://www.marketplace.org/2014/05/...an-iphone-cost

People complain about manufacturing jobs leaving the U.S., but then say they prefer lower prices to paying a premium for "Made in America" items. You can't have it both ways.

Poll: Americans prefer low prices to items 'Made in the USA' - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies