Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn't tell you to respond to this thread
I never said you did???

Quote:
Listen to me? Hell, if you don't like it, put me on ignore.
I don't need your input on how to run my life. More proof you like big government, you're just like them.

Quote:
I gives less than a damn.
I don't care how feel, one way or the other.

Quote:
It ain't like I like you anymore than you like me.
It's not about me or you. It's about the content of the post. Content, like policy, matters.

Quote:
So whatever dude.

Moreover, you turned down a union job and you live in Texas? Nonsense. No way. It never happened.
Although I got here as fast as I could, I haven't lived in Texas all my life. That thought, which didn't occur to you, doesn't surprise me one iota.

Quote:
Besides, with the exception of a tiny few employers, being union in Texas is practically meaningless. You guy's wages are mostly garbage anyway. After the pickup payment and the trailer mortgage, ain't much left. But then, that's the Southern Dream so what use would you have for a union anyway?
Now see, this is your bigotry showing again. Always best to know whom one is dealing with.

Quote:
So...bleh..
ouch you really got me there.

to review.
Joe the plumber, who comes off as a bit of a tool, took advantage of a situation.
He isn't a conservative.
He, like McCain, were laughed at on their bromance.
You calling someone out for being hypocritical, true or not, yet continue to ignore Obama being a hypocrite, hurts your posts credibility.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 10-17-2016 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 02:51 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
This is rich! Went out and got himself a job at Chrysler...and of course, he claims that he "had to" join the union (ignoring the fact that he could've worked elsewhere) to take the job!

I thought he was a plumber....or something like a plumber. I knew that guy was a phony right from the beginning.

He's so emblematic of how lame our political culture is nowadays.

BTW...the story is a few years old, but I'd never heard about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...33180#comments
Any word on how "Joe-six-pack" is doing?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
What...there's no work for people with plumbing skills?
Sure, if their last name is Gonzalez there are plenty of sub-out jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

to review.
Joe the plumber, who comes off as a bit of a tool, took advantage of a situation.
He isn't a conservative.
He, like McCain, were laughed at on their bromance.
You calling someone out for being hypocritical, true or not, yet continue to ignore Obama being a hypocrite, hurts your posts credibility.
Hypocrisy to dd is a badge to wear, yet instantly and insanely calls out any drip of it if they are even remotely conservative.

Example: GWB added $7T in debt "yap yap yap yap yap!!" - Obama added $11T (crickets)

Old 10-17-2016, 03:47 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
They're using cast iron instead of pvc.

Here's a bunch of articles about it.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...s+out+pvc+pipe

Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They're using cast iron instead of pvc.

Here's a bunch of articles about it.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...s+out+pvc+pipe
Take it from a retired contractor, PVC is just as good (in most instances) as iron, copper, and clay. It can also be replaced after a failure so much easier and cheaply.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, I posted from local perspective. There are a lot of jobs open in Toledo and so if someone like you, who needs work to support a family but doesn't want to join a union, you can find a non-union job. I have other family members who don't work union jobs and they like their jobs and they are paid well. I have 3 brothers, 2 of them work for UAW outfits and one works a non-union job. He makes less than the union brothers per hour but it works out for him since he works more hours and gets more overtime.

So old Joe could have just gone to the place my little brother works and get a job and would not have to pay to be in the union. There are plenty of places that pay decently around here for unskilled production workers. However, all of them have a lower hourly rate than the union places.

IMO it is hypocritical to use your family as an excuse to take a position that pays more in regards to a union position and then claim not to support unions as a whole.

And I understood what you said in tha tyou don't like certain "union bosses." FWIW, I don't like everything about unions (I don't like everything about anything lol) but I both respect and support unions because they actually do provide a great benefit to employees/members and especially so in regards to benefits and pay scale. Focusing on that is more important IMO than focusing on their negatives because even with their negatives, in this area, they provide a huge incentive for working for those organizations.

I'll also note that it is a rather long process to get hired at Chrysler. You have to have a medical exam, a drug screen, take a written test and come in for at least 2 interviews. It can take 3 months unless you know someone in the union who can pull some strings (which we have in our family but even then it can take about a month and unless you pass the tests, you won't go onto the next level). It would have been quicker for him, if his family needed to be supported to just go to a temp service and get a job making $13 an hour. You can get one in a day around here if you are wiling to work and don't use drugs. And FWIW Chrysler actually does hire from temp services and will start employees at $13 an hour too, but they still have to go through the other screenings/tests.
Exactly. It ain't like Chrysler went door to door looking for workers. He sought out a union job because he knew it was better than what he was already doing.

Even without a plumbers license, if he's skilled, he can find another plumber to work under. Non union of course, but I thought he was so adamant about how unions suck.

These conservatives have a million different excuses for this phony idiot.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sure, if their last name is Gonzalez
It's Toledo. That's a non factor. Everywhere isn't like Los Angeles.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Take it from a retired contractor, PVC is just as good (in most instances) as iron, copper, and clay. It can also be replaced after a failure so much easier and cheaply.
Yeah that's why they want to keep it out.

Had similar issue with computerizing ship manifests with dock workers. Too many union reps and politicians had family members in Cush 100k jobs typing them manually into system.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:36 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I'm happy for 'Joe the Plumber'...hope he is involved in building my Hellcat.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm happy for 'Joe the Plumber'...hope he is involved in building my Hellcat.
Huh? The LX platform cars are built at the Canadian plant in Brampton. They didn't tell you where it was being built when you ordered it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies