Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel bad that Al Gore lost in 2000?
Yes 31 26.50%
No 86 73.50%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM

24,068 posts, read 15,189,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Please read more carefully.

I did not state that Nixon is a gracious person.

Rather, I observed that Nixon conducted himself more graciously in one relevant instance, i.e., after the 1960 election, than did Algore in the 2000 election.

Do you see? I did not state that Nixon was a paragon of graciousness.
I take your point.

Florida required postmarks on all overseas ballots, even knowing military did not always postmark. It never mattered before. Many of the discounted military ballots had other problems, such as no signatures or witness signature.

Different counties were using different standard for the same rules.

My grandkids live in Tallahassee, very close to where all the action was. They went to watch the brouhaha several times a week. Now grown, I suspect one of them will be doing a graduate paper on the recount.

The Ds may have been trying to pull a fast one, without a doubt. But states need to tighten up some rules. I suspect we will be seeing some of the same stuff this election cycle.

Making it up as you go along or changing the rules in the middle of the game may be productive. But, some will stay ticked off forever and hit you in the face with a pie 10-15 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,590,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I take your point.
Kudos to you! Most of us are reluctant to concede any point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Florida required postmarks on all overseas ballots, even knowing military did not always postmark. It never mattered before. Many of the discounted military ballots had other problems, such as no signatures or witness signature.

Different counties were using different standard for the same rules.

My grandkids live in Tallahassee, very close to where all the action was. They went to watch the brouhaha several times a week. Now grown, I suspect one of them will be doing a graduate paper on the recount.

The Ds may have been trying to pull a fast one, without a doubt. But states need to tighten up some rules. I suspect we will be seeing some of the same stuff this election cycle.

Making it up as you go along or changing the rules in the middle of the game may be productive. But, some will stay ticked off forever and hit you in the face with a pie 10-15 years later.
Yes.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:44 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,812,346 times
Do I feel bad that Al Gore lost in 2000?

Absolutely not. The man is a joke in my home state of TN.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,471,609 times
No.

Release the chakra!

Old 10-18-2016, 10:36 AM

39,922 posts, read 26,625,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You're crazy if you think gore wouldn't have gone into Afghanistan. Bernie sanders would have gone into Afghanistan after 9/11.

Also, please explain specifically how Bush was responsible for the housing bubble? Was he encouraging irresponsible loans?
He didn't find something to prosecute Ted Kennedy and Bwany for?

Besides, Al was busy. He hadn't finished inventing the internet by 2000.

Not to mention he was busy with his Carbon Trading Exchange scheme. I doubt he would have gotten rich off the president's salary.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
As for me, Yes, I do; indeed, I still think that Al Gore would have probably been a better President than George W. Bush was.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
I voted for GWB, and i'm sad about it

I am betting that the world would be very different with Al Gore

1) a chance of 9/11 being prevented. The bush whitehouse was so focused on invading IRAQ they ignored the warnings about 9/11. Unlike clinton GWB didn't go after him. There is a chance that a non-deaf Al Gore administration could of prevented 9/11.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/op...ings.html?_r=0

2) no Iraq invasion (no hard on there)

3) no Afghanistan invasion

thus no - ISIS, no syria destruction, etc. . .

so yeah, you have to be clueless about world history not to wish for a different outcome.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,147,139 times
I voted yes, nobody has done more to damage to the Republican Party than Bush/Cheney. I do have regrets about my presidential picks in other elections too, but 2000 was the one I regretted the most (I would also change my '92 vote from Clinton to HW Bush).

However, I don't think Gore had it stolen from him in 2000......300 votes is 300 votes, election fraud is more of a dem thing, and he probably would have been down 50K votes in FL without so many illegals on the ticket, whom should not be allowed to vote and were bribed and registered by the democrats. (nothing has changed with that).

I think Gore would have given us a jump on alternative energy, at a time when gas prices were soaring. 911 still happens, but Gore would not have over reacted to it, and kept the budget in check. We would still have to go to Afghanistan. The housing crisis still happens, but we would be better prepared for it without all that debt from the Iraq War. We would be ripe at that point for a republican in 2008, probably George W Bush...lol.

Since we're indulged in fantasy here, let's chop off the last 2 years of Obama and put Romney in there in 2014 to finish off his term. Everything Obama has done these past couple years has been a loser for us......which brings up another one of my vote regrets you might be able to guess......

And Buchanan was right about NAFTA, might want to change out Dole with Pat in 96.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,626,279 times
Yes because if he had won, you can bet that the 4000 Americans killed would probably still be alive today and Isis would be nonexistent.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,845,803 times
If the presidency wasn't BOUGHT, the Middle East could be a totally different picture now.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,463,807 times
There is no doubt in my mind that Al Gore would have been a better president than Bush. We wouldn't have had the Bush tax cuts, we might have kept the budget surplus and done great things with it, and we almost certainly wouldn't have gotten entangled in Iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies