Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:47 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
What's the point of even mentioning that college is some sort of nexus that breeds SJWs?
My point is to study this phenomenon (because to me it's really an enthralling sociological trend) and to inform others of its existence and steady growth. And I think much of it originates in the think-tanks of the university system.
Quote:
It's not college doing it.
I disagree. I think the evidence pouring out daily is pretty clear.
Quote:
People have all the same opportunities to learn information outside of college that they do within college. The idea that college is a breeding ground for SJWs doesn't make any sense to me.
College students are captives. In a lot of cases they're living on campus in dorms, not working, immersed in the culture, trying to find their place and define reality and their worldview. They want to feel important, they want awe, they want to rebel against the world they came from, but at the same time they want to feel at home, protected by a system much as they were protected by their parents before college. They don't know a lot, by definition, so it's easy to fill their heads and lead them. And today's 18-22 year olds, in my opinion, are SO willing to be led.

I gave you the example of my girlfriend's niece, which I think is appropriate because it hasn't taken much time for her to start learning the ways of Social Justice.

--------------------------------------------------

A lot of the rest of what you wrote can be summarized as you don't think the Regressive Left and malignant Social Justice logic is really a problem, you don't see SJWs out and about, you think there are more important issues, etc.

I'm not saying Social Justice is the primary evil in the world. The reason I talk about this a lot is I think it's still under-explored. It's not really what people think it is. I know people who know all about the Alt-Right but haven't a clue about the Regressive Left. I mentioned that my girlfriend - a classical Liberal and moderate Democrat - really didn't have any idea of the depths of this, and I see this a lot. I didn't really understand the thinking intuitively until I spent a great deal of time studying the way things work in this brave new world.

A lot of the idiocy from the far right is a known quantity. I don't feel the need to explore that and extrapolate on it because, well, it's pretty well covered already. The Regressive Left is much more subversive. I think people, clear-thinking people, should know about this. I think we need to prevent it from controlling the language and reality. I think people should understand when they're being asked to accept certain tenets of Social Justice that that's not the end of it -- it just keeps going. I think people should understand it's an attempt to capitalize on the fact that humans are irrational much of the time by shaping that irrationality toward certain thought patterns revering group identity and collectivism over individuality, guilt and shame and blame and discreditation, and justice over intellectual honesty. I think we should know that this is a real slippery slope of thought and that minds CAN slip into this.

I'm still learning and uncovering the root causes and neurological bases for what's happening here. In some ways I'm still early in my exploration. I want to read THIS BOOK next. I think there's a lot to be said about how Generation X dove head-first into offspring-worship and how that shaped the current situation.

I think it's important to know just how prevalent this is becoming. It's not steady-state.

As to the lack of Social Justice activists in your area, good. I certainly have met and interacted with a wide array of them myself -- when volunteering, when attending a couple of Unitarian churches with my girlfriend, in the art world, in my college town of Denton when I go back to visit, at concerts and shows, downtown, in California and Colorado in recent visits, in two different Meetup.com groups, as friends of friends and friends of relatives, etc. Yes, they are all different, and no, not everyone is wholly defined every moment of their days by Regressive Left thought. As a matter of fact I seek to interact with them, to understand better, and we can often be civil and realize we have some things in common or stick to issues other than society and politics. But there is this common thread of a certain type of defeatist statist anti-truth that I've realized runs through a lot of the movement, and I'm still sussing out how to best express that.
Quote:
...none of them are as crazy as that self-hating person in your link...
Again, I'll have to disagree: there's simply nothing crazy about that thought-piece. It's simple, actual honesty (within a deeply dishonest way of thinking). In a way it just says what the larger contingent of the Regressive Left is trying to get to. It's the same kind of thing as RadFems who openly state that PiV is always rape and males of all species on earth must be eradicated (and in time with technology that will be a possibility), rather than just hinting at that sort of outcome but lacking the courage to quite say it (or kind of half-heartedly making lists about it like THIS FEMINIST).

Having said that, there is also a wide variety of regressive thought and not everyone can be a connoisseur of every misguided regressive trend and not everyone has been sucked in to the same extent.
Quote:
SJWs are at least generally rooted in reality.
This could mean a lot of things, but in general I find that regressive social justice thought is used and thought of (sometimes not even consciously) as a counterpoint to reality and facts and truths. Does this mean there aren't other groups out there, totally distinct from the Regressive Left, with their own thoughts and ideas that are also playing with primarily irrational falsities? Of course not.
Quote:
I didn't watch any of your videos except for about the first couple minutes of one of them.
That's a shame. I posted two videos, two Reddit pages, and one Social Justice Wiki, not five videos. I have a vast collection (and backlog) of papers, stories, books, articles, threads, images, and videos but I try to keep it light here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 02:47 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This is typical of Bezerkely.

Black people want to segregate.
There was only ONE black person among the protesters. Most of them were white/asian/latino etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies