Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jesse Williams has said that part of his impetus came from what he heard as a child from white people who forgot he was in the room.

I suspect that in his times, Anatole Broyard heard much worse--perhaps even plots of violence against other blacks. In order to "pass" in that society, it was necessary for a man to absolutely reject his family and childhood friends, to have nothing to do with them, to never speak to them again, to ignore their existence, to pretend to be an absolutely different person with a totally manufactured past.

Yeah, I can fault him.

Inside Jesse's Head

Attachment 182573
Part 2. Tom Joyner was in Henry Louis Gates Jr's African-American Lives. Tom Joyner, if anyone has seen him, is very light-skinned. One of his relatives was put in a "Whites Only" nursing home. There were all kinds of stories being told by the residents about the ugly and violent deeds they did to Blacks. The residents of that nursing home didn't know that said relative had that "one drop" of Black, therefore, he was Black.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Can anyone give there perspective on those who try very hard to justify the discrimination/prejudice that Blacks often face?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Broyard's father got into a carpenter's union at a time when it was racially discriminatory. He had to pass just to get work. For Broyard, father and son, "passing" meant the difference between getting good work and getting bad work. For Anatole, it meant making it to the rank of captain in the army, a segregated army.

It would not surprise me if those passing for White heard alot of nasty things about Blacks during those days. It was basically about survival. For anyone who says things were better in the 50s, this alone should show it wasn't.
Quote:
Part 2. Tom Joyner was in Henry Louis Gates Jr's African-American Lives. Tom Joyner, if anyone has seen him, is very light-skinned. One of his relatives was put in a "Whites Only" nursing home. There were all kinds of stories being told by the residents about the ugly and violent deeds they did to Blacks. The residents of that nursing home didn't know that said relative had that "one drop" of Black, therefore, he was Black.
I don't know what point you're making in relation to my post.

BTW, during Anatole's time, there was a black general in the army.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Can anyone give there perspective on those who try very hard to justify the discrimination/prejudice that Blacks often face?
The truth is some people are just stuck in their ways and there will be nothing that you can do to change it. People who are just stuck in their ways won't change even with an intervention from Christ himself. Ultimately (and I'm talking to myself as well), you just have to know your worth and who you are as a person. I know it's rather cliche, but ultimately that's what it is.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
This is how I feel. Being of a certain race/ethnicity should not be something to be ashamed of. When it comes to pride, I wonder about that pride. One can take pride in something they do. Racial pride, well, I see it like this. In many cases, it gets to the point of arrogance and hate. In some cases, people mistaken pride for vanity/hate/exclusivity.
For certain people pride was a way of proving others wrong, for OTHERS it was a sense of superiority.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Question HBCUs and their significance

Did any posters in this conversation go to an HBCU? Do you feel that these campuses still serve a purpose?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know what point you're making in relation to my post.

BTW, during Anatole's time, there was a black general in the army.
There was a Black general. This was also a segregated army at the time. And White soldiers were often treated better than Black soldiers.

My point is this. Passing often meant one's quality of life changed.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
The truth is some people are just stuck in their ways and there will be nothing that you can do to change it. People who are just stuck in their ways won't change even with an intervention from Christ himself. Ultimately (and I'm talking to myself as well), you just have to know your worth and who you are as a person. I know it's rather cliche, but ultimately that's what it is.
Indeed. Many people are simply bigots and will never change.

I brought up after perusing through another thread. It involved posters saying "people are going to discriminatend against you because Blacks have high crime rates and we don't feel safe around your kind". How does one respond to that kind of thinking.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Indeed. Many people are simply bigots and will never change.

I brought up after perusing through another thread. It involved posters saying "people are going to discriminatend against you because Blacks have high crime rates and we don't feel safe around your kind". How does one respond to that kind of thinking.
To keep the peaceful tone of this discussion, I cannot provide the answer to that one. The reason being, I don't want this thread to turn into a situation where white supremacists hijack the thread and this become a pissing contest.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
There was a Black general. This was also a segregated army at the time. And White soldiers were often treated better than Black soldiers.

My point is this. Passing often meant one's quality of life changed.
Often ones quality of life DID change. It wasn't unheard of for parents to send their kids elsewhere so they could pass and have a better quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies