Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 03:54 PM

73,154 posts, read 62,851,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Did any posters in this conversation go to an HBCU? Do you feel that these campuses still serve a purpose?
I never went to an HBCU. I know a few people that did. The one I know best is Morehouse. I did visit Clark-Atlanta when my cousin went there.

In its older days, colleges like Morehouse, Spelman, Fisk, Meharry, Wilberforce, Xavier (New Orleans) they served to build future generations of Black talent, intellect, and professionals. Many of my father's teachers in high school went to those universities.

Today, Blacks can go to any university they want to. There are more options. For Blacks who seek to go to college in an environment where they are the majority, HBCU's serve that purpose.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
To keep the peaceful tone of this discussion, I cannot provide the answer to that one. The reason being, I don't want this thread to turn into a situation where white supremacists hijack the thread and this become a pissing contest.
Understandable.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Often ones quality of life DID change. It wasn't unheard of for parents to send their kids elsewhere so they could pass and have a better quality of life.
I think about the movie "Imitation of Life". It is about a woman who has a Black mother, but she's light enough to "pass". She gets a good job and the boyfriend that she wants. She winds up losing everything when her identity is discovered.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:01 PM

28,713 posts, read 18,893,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There was a Black general. This was also a segregated army at the time. And White soldiers were often treated better than Black soldiers.

My point is this. Passing often meant one's quality of life changed.
Sure, by abandoning his entire previous life.

I respect people like Josephine Baker more. She had to leave the country to get the same change of the quality of life, but she never denied her family or heritage.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,235,346 times
Quote:
I never went to an HBCU. I know a few people that did. The one I know best is Morehouse. I did visit Clark-Atlanta when my cousin went there.

In its older days, colleges like Morehouse, Spelman, Fisk, Meharry, Wilberforce, Xavier (New Orleans) they served to build future generations of Black talent, intellect, and professionals. Many of my father's teachers in high school went to those universities.

Today, Blacks can go to any university they want to. There are more options. For Blacks who seek to go to college in an environment where they are the majority, HBCU's serve that purpose.
I didn't go to one either. Instead I went to the local university in my hometown. Outside of proving blacks an atmosphere where they don't feel out of place, they are often very affordable.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:06 PM

28,713 posts, read 18,893,837 times
Quote:
Indeed. Many people are simply bigots and will never change.

I brought up after perusing through another thread. It involved posters saying "people are going to discriminatend against you because Blacks have high crime rates and we don't feel safe around your kind". How does one respond to that kind of thinking.
I see some of these young white Millennial and post-Millennial (high school) boys who have pictures of both white and dark-skinned celebrity women on their walls...they are able to view them both as simultaneously hot.

These white boys also seem to be able to be comfortable around the black kids who have their same interests and attitudes living in their same neighborhoods while simultaneously not feeling safe around blacks "from the hood."

Was it Chris Rock--no, it was Dave Chappelle, I think--who said, "This is the best generation of white people ever."

Old 03-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sure, by abandoning his entire previous life.

I respect people like Josephine Baker more. She had to leave the country to get the same change of the quality of life, but she never denied her family or heritage.
I never said it was right. I was saying it was what it was. Sad time in America.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I didn't go to one either. Instead I went to the local university in my hometown. Outside of proving blacks an atmosphere where they don't feel out of place, they are often very affordable.
I did similar. I went to a university 40 minutes from where I went to high school.

I will look up the tuition rates for some HBCU's.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I see some of these young white Millennial and post-Millennial (high school) boys who have pictures of both white and dark-skinned celebrity women on their walls...they are able to view them both as simultaneously hot.

These white boys also seem to be able to be comfortable around the black kids who have their same interests and attitudes living in their same neighborhoods while simultaneously not feeling safe around blacks "from the hood."

Was it Chris Rock--no, it was Dave Chappelle, I think--who said, "This is the best generation of white people ever."
For what I went through in high school, I would say this is the best I have seen. Granted, I was born in the mid 1980s. I never lived in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. I just know from what I've read, and people who lived in those days have told me, I prefer this time to the 1950s.

Dave Chappelle has a point.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 919,157 times
Quote:
Hello!

This thread, I wanted to start mainly to get input from other blacks life myself regarding where they stand regarding the racial climate that we are facing right now. Do you feel discriminated against on a regular basis? Do you feel you do relatively well for the most part in life?

I also want to know, how do you as a black person feel about these black conscious movements, SJWs, and black nationalists/separatists movements? How do you feel about the cultural appropriation issue? BLM?

The reason, I'm asking is because it seems like a lot of people are showing their true colors and in response to that, it seems we have many blacks counteracting to the racism being received. I do feel that the issue needs to be discussed but there are so many online black groups and forms that I just don't relate to. As a black person, I find that many of them are only cool with you when you are agreeing with them full stop. The minute you express a thought that deviates from the mindset of that particular form, blogger, or movement, the name calling (i.e. coon, uncle tom, jigaboo, boot licker) starts.

Now my question to other blacks-Where do you fit in at? Do you discuss racial issues with your friends? Are you met with any disagreements? When you find that one disagrees with you, do you educate them? Refer them to Google? Does the conversation go anywhere at all?
Quote:
To keep the peaceful tone of this discussion, I cannot provide the answer to that one. The reason being, I don't want this thread to turn into a situation where white supremacists hijack the thread and this become a pissing contest.
Hi pandora,

I quoted your opening post from October of last year asking mainly for input from other blacks. Your other post I quoted was today's, stating that you did not want this thread to be hijacked by white supremacists and become a pissing contest.

I have not read any other posts, but I am wondering why didn't you invite white posters to participate in a discussion about racism? I am a white immigrant who has lived in this country for over fifty years and during this time I have developed prejudices I did not have before I arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies