Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Yes. In trade terms, brainpower and talent known as "intellectual properties" now compose the major portion of US exports. US agricultural producers are the most efficient in the world - access to world markets by farmers and ranchers is essential. Trade pacts are multi-dimensional - we can't just look at the world as composed of manufactured goods.
But to hell with high food prices and the environment.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:40 PM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's pretty clear that frustration with globalization helped propel Trump to victory. Rust Belt battleground states like Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania went for Trump.

Is globalization over? Is globalization a failed experiment?

If the benefits of globalization really had "lifted all boats" instead of enriching only a tiny jet-setting global elite, would it have worked?
It all depends on which side you are on. If you live a work in a low cost country that is now developing a middle class, hell yeah it worked.

Watching the middle class shrink, and our country moving from one that produced goods that the world wanted to one that is service based, it is an absolute fail. How can wealth be made without producing something of value that can be sold?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Globalization was driven by BRICS, so no, it isn't over and it hasn't failed.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:46 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It all depends on which side you are on. If you live a work in a low cost country that is now developing a middle class, hell yeah it worked.

Watching the middle class shrink, and our country moving from one that produced goods that the world wanted to one that is service based, it is an absolute fail. How can wealth be made without producing something of value that can be sold?
Producing educated citizens is of great value and can be sold to other countries. Knowledge can be sold repeatedly while physical goods are dependent on quantity and means of transport.

Look at Booz Allen... they get plenty of government contracts both internal and external.

Most people were never middle class but instead working class. It is a failure of our education system as a whole that lead to this decline. People love to put all their eggs in one basket with little to no knowledge of basic personal finance.

The working class in certain sectors shrank because it became cheaper to automate or move overseas where there was a more impoverished workforce that would gladly take the job at lesser pay. Instead of taking this opportunity to grow in an environment where basic necessities were covered (food, shelter, water) and learn a new skill the majority just sat around twiddling their thumbs.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:12 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's a one way street though, movement of people in and capital out. Even the capital in can be 'hostile' and disruptive.

NO. no, no. It's the other way around. The globalist are forcing everyone to seek the lowest labor and production cost market basically and selling off America. I can't buy a quality American made product at a fair price because the globalist and liberals have made it impossible.

The reason you can't buy a quality American made product at a fair price is not due to "globalists" or "liberals" but to Adam Smith, or rather to the basic economic principle he described - that the division of labor and specialization provides the greatest variety of products at the lowest possible price. Not allowing a free market to determine demand and fair pricing is by definition a marxist economy.

That, of course, is not your objective rather you argue for a free market restricted to US borders. Would that save *certain* US manufacturing jobs? Yes, but at the price of higher costs of purchased components to other US manufacturers leading to THEIR decreased competitiveness and reduced employment in *those* industries (if only in exported products, assuming your system would allow US exports). In addition, shutting the US door to import(s) would almost certainly set off trade wars resulting in a net decrease of US NON-manufacturing jobs - those in intellectual properties and agricultural exports I mentioned earlier. I don't know the figures offhand but I think our balance of trade is strong in these areas.

The US does have areas of export strength - here selling to the rest of world creates jobs and makes money that we then use to pay for the imported manufactured goods where we cannot compete efficiently. We can change laws - but we cannot change the principles of economics.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The reason you can't buy a quality American made product at a fair price is not due to "globalists" or "liberals" but to Adam Smith, or rather to the basic economic principle he described - that the division of labor and specialization provides the greatest variety of products at the lowest possible price. Not allowing a free market to determine demand and fair pricing is by definition a marxist economy.
Really Adam Smith before the US was even founded? Funny I could still buy a quality US made product for about the same price as the low quality Chinese version in stores up till as little as 15 years ago.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:20 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
It's pretty clear that frustration with globalization helped propel Trump to victory. Rust Belt battleground states like Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania went for Trump.

If the benefits of globalization really had "lifted all boats" instead of enriching only a tiny jet-setting global elite, would it have worked?

INDEED

Free people do not strive to be slaves of an elite ruling class that presides over a "global economy", in which they can selectively impoverish groups of citizens.

Liberalism = Globalism= Fascism

The republic won yesterday over the fascists who want to impoverish and enslave citizens, taking us back to feudal times. "Progressivism" is a "progress" to the middle ages. It is only "progress" for rich, entitled, elitists.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:21 PM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Producing educated citizens is of great value and can be sold to other countries. Knowledge can be sold repeatedly while physical goods are dependent on quantity and means of transport.

Look at Booz Allen... they get plenty of government contracts both internal and external.

Most people were never middle class but instead working class. It is a failure of our education system as a whole that lead to this decline. People love to put all their eggs in one basket with little to no knowledge of basic personal finance.

The working class in certain sectors shrank because it became cheaper to automate or move overseas where there was a more impoverished workforce that would gladly take the job at lesser pay. Instead of taking this opportunity to grow in an environment where basic necessities were covered (food, shelter, water) and learn a new skill the majority just sat around twiddling their thumbs.
I guess i should have clarified. I am talking about engineers, designers, machinists, toolmakers, etc. Since 1998 i've watched these highly technical and skilled jobs lost to globalization. These are / were solid middle class jobs. This is what has gutted the country. These jobs provided wages where a family could comfortably survive with just one wage earner. A time when houses and vehicles were paid for. People weren't strung out on credit.
I will never be on board with globalism.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:26 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I guess i should have clarified. I am talking about engineers, designers, machinists, toolmakers, etc. Since 1998 i've watched these highly technical and skilled jobs lost to globalization. These are / were solid middle class jobs. This is what has gutted the country. These jobs provided wages where a family could comfortably survive with just one wage earner. A time when houses and vehicles were paid for. People weren't strung out on credit.
I will never be on board with globalism.
Technology evolves and so do the jobs. The same reason we don't insist on horse and buggy but have bus drivers.

These technical and skilled jobs could have evolved into modern day versions of those tools but some people just didn't believe it could happen.

It is your choice to be on board but it won't really matter as the rest of the world has voted to move forwrd with it.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 3,155 times
Quote:

No it's not a failed experiment nor is it over. What propelled Trump was not globalism but the destruction of rural america.

You pump in Mexicans and Syrians into rural areas, provide jobs for them, and I'll show you an entirely different electoral map. They'll be asking Soros to join them for coffee and popcorn at the tractor pull.

Washington DC is too small, to isolated and nowhere near where real people live. So it has no idea what the problems are or how to solve them.

Functions in DC need to be split to a western co-capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies