Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 09:25 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I honestly have a picture in my head of you taking glee in the misfortunes of the non well off, like it puts a smile on your face saying the things you do
Why would I take glee in that? Bad things happen. It's a fact of life. No matter how hard you try to hide in your safe space to avoid it, bad things are going to continue to happen, even to rich people... People will get sick and die. People will die in auto accidents. People will drown. People will be murdered. We can't all have equal outcomes. It just isn't possible.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
When people die they aren't part of the problem. It's the one who are very sick, but not terminally so, that are expensive.
They're only not terminal because HUGE amounts of money is spent to keep them alive. Sometimes for only a few extra weeks or months. And for what? Just to avoid the inevitable? That's senseless.

You remind me of the family members who refuse to take a loved one who's brain dead and can't breathe on their own off a respirator and insist that they be kept alive at all costs merely because we have the technology to do so. Pointless.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:30 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
When people die they aren't part of the problem. It's the one who are very sick, but not terminally so, that are expensive.
No, actually, the problem is people who are terminally sick. It's been repeatedly demonstrated that the vast majority of healthcare expenses are in the last weeks of life. It's people who are like "do everything!! I DEMAND EVERYTHING FOR MEEEEEE!!" and then die anyways. And they're people who aren't paying for it, either because they're old and on Medicare or they're random homeless guys off the street. You could throw in dialysis patients, too, but that's actually a terminal problem that we have just turned into an extremely expensive and drawn-out terminal problem.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:30 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Guaranteed-issue (preexisting condition coverage). Probably need community rating and individual mandate to go with that requirement. It's going to make it tough for insurers to sell across state borders which is one of the Republicans' 'fixes'.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're only not terminal because HUGE amounts of money is spent to keep them alive.
Also true. There are many elderly people who have problems with just about every part of their body and they're like "keep me alive at all costs!!" and their grandkids are like "Nana can't go!!" Which is great, but, as I said, if you tell them to out of pocket pay like $20,000 for Nana, suddenly everyone gets all worked up like "how dare you! You pay for her!" "No, I'm not paying for her! You pay for her!" And then Nana is like "I'm not paying for this!" Everyone wants all the care, none of the bill.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
No, actually, the problem is people who are terminally sick. It's been repeatedly demonstrated that the vast majority of healthcare expenses are in the last weeks of life. It's people who are like "do everything!! I DEMAND EVERYTHING FOR MEEEEEE!!" and then die anyways. And they're people who aren't paying for it, either because they're old and on Medicare or they're random homeless guys off the street. You could throw in dialysis patients, too, but that's actually a terminal problem that we have just turned into an extremely expensive and drawn-out terminal problem.
Let's wait to see you develop a health problem, and see if you still sing the same tune......

Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Let's wait to see you develop a health problem, and see if you still sing the same tune......
Unless it's a massive stroke that causes total brain damage, don't worry, I won't become liberal.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:37 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Is it just me or are Jersey and InformedConsent suggesting we need death panels?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Op, nope. The only way to keep the preexisting conditions is to keep Obamacare, which is unusable for many as it is, due to high cost and high ded's. Every year that goes by it will skyrocket in these areas. Pretty soon, much of your $ will go just for fines for not being able to afford it.

Healthcare system we have in the US is broken. It will only keep spiraling out of control. Once healthcare turned into big biz it was put on a trajectory for destroying the ability of the average person paying for healthcare out of pocket.

Socialized education is has served us for ages. The cost is in the RE taxes and even if you have no kids you end up chipping in. If you don't want to use the socialized education system then you can pay for private school. This is how the healthcare should be. A 2 tier system, one for the rich as a fee for service and one for the average person that is gov supplied - aka socialized healthcare. That is the only way you can do it. The rich can have whatever they want and the poor can still get some healthcare. Socialized med wont be as good as rich med, but it can be doable. If you don't like it, get 3 jobs and pay for the rich healthcare.
I actually would be OK with that IF everyone paid a flat tax to pay for it as is the case with RE tax and socialized education. Look at your RE tax bill... the tax levied by the school district is a flat rate for everyone (even renters, whose rent includes their landlord's cost of RE taxes).

Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Is it just me or are Jersey and InformedConsent suggesting we need death panels?
They are, under their thinking, it's like if a Mercedes has a bad spark plug, just send the car to the scrap yard to be chopped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies