Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

Missouri is 9th. Most would probably call this racist, but the three cities in Missouri that are the worst have a majority black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 01:25 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Missouri is 9th. Most would probably call this racist, but the three cities in Missouri that are the worst have a majority black population.
And in those Black majority cities, this is what I know. A large part of the Black middle class has fled those cities, with no plans to return. If St. Louis's Black population was 90% middle class, would there be so many issues in St. Louis? Atlanta is majority Black(larger Black population than St. Louis). Its murder rate is 3/10 of what it is in St. Louis. Virginia, larger Black population than Missouri, and it has some majority Black cities. Virginia's murder rate is lower than Missouri's. Virginia's most murderous city of 200,000+ people, Richmond, is less murderous than St. Louis, and both cities have similar proportions of Blacks.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
I want to commend both Mssrs. steven_h and green_mariner for pointing out that too many people refuse to look that far beneath the surface; figures don't lie, but too many liars think they can figure.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Surprising choice for number 1 (at least to me).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-d...110007157.html
Alaska is kind of a special case. The per capita income is high, but so is the cost of living, so people are not as prosperous as you think. The further from Anchorage you go, the more things cost, because it's expensive to get them there. Combine that the the fact that there are few job opportunities in some of the remote areas, and you can see there is an issue. The article you linked to mentioned only Anchorage in terms of crime. I lived there for a couple of years, and never felt particularly threatened, and mine was not a posh neighborhood by any means.

There is a lot of crime out in the villages, particularly rape and domestic violence, and a good deal of it goes unchecked because many of these communities lack local law enforcement, and many are inaccessible by car. ("Northern Exposure" was fictional; the use of air taxis in remote areas was not.) I think the extremely long ours of darkness and daylight factor in: both can make people a little flaky. There is a high suicide rate in the state as well.

Alaska is gorgeous, and I loved it there, but there are some unique characteristics that contribute to this ranking. So...surprised, and not so surprised.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Alaska also leads the nation in alcoholism and is in total darkness for nearly 5 months.

Is it any wonder why?

But I'm sure the OP is trying to relate this to politics and that it's those damn conservatives killing and stealing... while progressives are rioting in the streets - a childish notion indeed

They don't want to talk about Chicago, Detroit, Philly... preferring to stay on the canned deceptive meme
How do you figure this? OP really didn't say much of anything, other than to express surprise that Alaska topped the list. I think that probably would surprise a lot of people.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Surprising choice for number 1 (at least to me).

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-d...110007157.html
I would rather ask, What are most dangerous CITIES in the U.S.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then explain Alaska, a red state.

Oklahoma, where every county went red, has seen a rise in murder and rape. Oklahama has one of the highest murder rates and rape rates in the USA.

Rape, murder rates up in Oklahoma City as assaults, property crimes drop | KFOR.com
Well, a lot of people have to get through the bad living conditions in that state by soothing them with drugs, whether legal or the illegal ones and the murderous dangers that go with it. The earthquakes in that state upset a lot of people as well as the state's refusal to do more to try to stop them. As the unemployment rate goes up, it won't get any better. Part of the problem is that the conservative authoritarian Christian nature of that state has little patience with people who are too lazy or stupid to pull themselves up by the boot straps.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-14-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 02:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Alaska leads the nation in rape. Alaska recorded one of the highest murder rates in 2015, ranking 6th. Ranks #1 in assault. #17 in robbery.
And, surprise, surprise, Alaska is 66.5 % white and only 3.9% black.

Alaska QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 11-14-2016, 02:23 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Quote:
Then explain Alaska, a red state.

Oklahoma, where every county went red, has seen a rise in murder and rape. Oklaham has one of the highest murder rates and rape rates in the USA.

Rape, murder rates up in Oklahoma City as assaults, property crimes drop | KFOR.com
Oklahoma City doesn't make the FBI's list of most violent cities. Here's the FBI's list for whatever it's worth. I do agree with your other post that crime is more based on socioecomic status than other factors.
FBI’s Violent Crime Statistics For Every City In America « CBS Chicago

Old 11-14-2016, 02:26 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I would rather ask, What are most dangerous CITIES in the U.S.
Crime in America 2015: Interactive Map of Crime by Metro Areas - Law Street (TM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies