Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:05 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You want personal experience? My son has a security clearance and he has never worked for the government. He gets his clearance renewed every other year.

I already had a security clearance when I married my husband, but the FBI came through and upgraded my clearance. Not as high as my husband's, but higher than it was.

Suppose I had a citation to give you, you wouldn't be able to access it unless you have a high enough clearance and access to the relevant documents. If you do have the clearance and access to the documents, look it up yourself, I'm not your librarian.
So, you have nothing but anecdotes.

Here's what I understand:

Security clearances are needed when a person's work requires it.

People who aren't government employees can hold a clearance.

The spouse of the person who holds a clearance will be vetted. They will undergo a security check. They won't have a clearance, unless their own job requires it.

The president does not hold a security clearance, so there's no reason to expect that a president's family would need one since they are prohibited from holding a government job.

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2016/...president-get/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 06:17 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Thank you! This is actually fairly common in the DC area, it's just not broadcasted who has it, that's part of the privilege.
That's incorrect as far as I know.

Only people who perform work of a sensitive nature are granted security clearances. Family members may be investigated (depending on the level of clearance), but the family member is not assigned a clearance unless they also have a job that requires a clearance.

If both family members perform work that requires access to information deemed sensitive, they must be sponsored by the agency they work for and pass the background check(s).

You don't get a clearance by being married to somebody with one. You can, however lose a clearance by being married to someone who poses a security risk.

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/investigate/?page=1

Old 11-14-2016, 06:19 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
WTF!!!!!! This guy has already lost it and he hasn't even been sworn in yet
Yah, he has cut the lobbyists out alright. Hahahah!

His children are running his company, he gives them unfettered access to privileged info and then they go back and make decisions about his business, or better yet exert influence on the president to benefit their business interests!

Oh yeah. What can possibly be more RIGGED?

That is what you call CORRUPTION!

Better yet, that's how banana republics are run.

Bet his supporters are all for it too

Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 PM

35,753 posts, read 21,113,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
So, you have nothing but anecdotes.

Here's what I understand:

Security clearances are needed when a person's work requires it.

People who aren't government employees can hold a clearance.

The spouse of the person who holds a clearance will be vetted. They will undergo a security check. They won't have a clearance, unless their own job requires it.

The president does not hold a security clearance, so there's no reason to expect that a president's family would need one since they are prohibited from holding a government job.

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2016/...president-get/
That is correct the potus needs no clearance, he is the top dog. But he cannot share sensitive classified information,,, for that go sit in the corner with hilly. The problem with the family is their ties to foreign govs. in trade matters. For instance ,pres. : We cutting a some trade agreements with Japan because they siding with Russia bla bla... oh oh we have 6 factories in Japan! what will the kids do with that information??? The conflict of interest is terrible. Or we going to help xyz with 800k drones for war, and you can invest in the yahoo drone company you only bought toys with. Hmm ??? I hope people see how this is not a good move.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Sounds very unusual, especially since they will be running his corporations while having access to Top Secret information.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:28 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,231,800 times
Default Trump wants Security Clearances for his kids....

Trump wants Security Clearances for his kids....

Now that has to be the most absurd thing ever. He wants them to have State Secrets so they can leverage business, but then he was the one who made false claims that Hillary was doing such, when now people should see how much fiction it was, to even suggest that she was using state secrets to leverage personal gains.

Trump must think that people are unaware? Geez!!!!

American did not elect someone, for the sake to install Trump so he can try and create something like a Family Run Monarchy over the Nation. Geez!!!!!!!!!! I guess he wants it where his Sons and Daughter could wreak havoc at will and use the State system to promote their personal objectives to profit themselves.

Guess, this tells us that Daddy, Trump will be directing his kids in their business management objectives.

We maybe all should re-read the things about the Anti-Christ and see if we can find any connections.

Trump needs to focus on the Economy and keep his kids out of it. No one Elected his kids to do anything that requires such. ..... They have no need for any secret clearances....

Wake up people... That's a really absurd and questionable request by Trump.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:29 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
People who are not government employees can have security clearance. It's not unusual for family members of people with top clearances to be vetted and given a security clearance.

One of the sons has been put on in an advisory position and he would certainly need access to information or he could not advise the president.

I don't think the kids will be employed in the white house. They have businesses to run. But Trump needs people he knows and trusts while he gets settled in. He's got enough to worry about without trying to learn new staff at the same time. Once he is settled, he'll start to rearrange his cabinet
Well, Trump has to choose, they CANNOT do both. That's a conflict of interest aka CORRUPTION!

The businesses they run are TRUMP's businesses!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM

57,387 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
My spouse had a Top Secret clearance twice - the entire family was fully vetted. He was never a Government employee. He never discussed his secret work with me and I never asked - none the less, we were both vetted.
The Trump children (who are not really children at all) are some of his closest advisors - they should be vetted, just as Chelsea Clinton should have been vetted since her Mama was sending her Classified information.

At least with the Trumps - they talk to each other and don't email.
Your anectdote is very unusual, why were your family meber vetted. Trumps children are advisors on the political front, no one wants them to have access to miltary secrets. What would be the event that required them to have top secret clearance.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,992,629 times
So for everyone screaming that they cant have it because they are running his business, I'm pretty sure that isn't even settled yet. The claim is that the business needs to be in a blind trust, which is nearly impossible anyway, but if it was, his kids wouldn't be running it.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,992,629 times
So again, for the unhinged (assuming here) Hillary supporters that are up in arms over this, did you already forget that Hillary shared Top Secret info with her daughter, Huma, her lawyers, and IT staff? Do you prefer this over someone who follows the rules and asks for clearance for the people that he would like to discuss these things with in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies