Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times

Advertisements

They are racists, homophobes, and don't like to listen.

They spend most of their time projecting their own behavior on others.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:16 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I was watching Jon Stewart talk about liberal and conservative hypocrisy yesterday. But even in acknowledging it, he doesn't explain its source.

In short, why are people hypocrites?

Because the truth is, everyone, and I mean everyone, is selfish. Even Karl Marx, the great champion of communism and revolution, realized that people are a bunch of hypocrites, and that society is controlled almost-entirely by money(IE economic-growth, jobs, wages, etc).

Neither the left, nor the right, honestly cares about any opinions other than their own. And whether they believe it or not, their own feelings aren't in any honest sense based on facts or logic. They may use facts at times to justify themselves, in an attempt to force their opinion on others, but no one honestly cares about the real truth. They want to pick-and-choose the facts, or otherwise manipulate the data, in order to arrive at their desired conclusions.

People ramble about democracy. But why would anyone honestly care whatsoever about Democracy? For that matter, why should anyone care about the Constitution? Or the government itself?

The truth is, people only care about democracy, or government, or the Constitution, insofar as they can use it to their advantage. The moment they don't find it useful, they want to change it, abolish it, or ignore it altogether.

As for liberals being intolerant, this is just a tool used by the left to get what they want. And it has been a very effective tool, so why wouldn't they use it?

I mean, conservatives have regularly tried to shut down their opposition by calling them un-American. Christians used to call anyone who disagreed with them heretics and blasphemers. You guys act like this is new.
It sounds like you are saying empathy and compassion are impossible. I hope this is not the case.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
to be a liberal is to be a fascist. And fascists are not known for their open-minded tolerance.
Fascism is a right wing ideology, of the authoritarian variety

Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,788,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Both can live their lives being intolerant of each other, the exception is the left seems to be the ones that lash out first.

When the pro 2A crowd in CA, NY and MA lost many rights in the past couple of years , did you see them rioting in the streets, burning the flag etc ? And this is over a Constitutional right that was manipulated, not having their candidate lose.
It can happen to conservatives to. Remember the tea party?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

"The final round of debate before voting on the health care bill was marked with vandalism and widespread threats of violence to at least ten Democratic lawmakers across the country, which created public relations problems for the fledgeling Tea Party movement."

Old 11-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There you go. I even put a response pointing out that both are intolerant towards each other.
I do find that there's many examples here of liberals being intolerant or even down right mean to Trump supports. But there's also examples of the reverse towards liberals, yet these don't get a mention.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
"Why are liberals so intolerant of conservatives?"

LOL- Most likely for the same reason conservatives are so intolerant of liberals.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Fascism is a right wing ideology, of the authoritarian variety
To me both liberals and conservatives are capable of fascism. For example I find some of Trumps supporters wanting to shut down the media because it doesn't support Trump just as scary as liberals wanting to shut down speech at a university.

Yes I know that it's hard to hear someone that disagrees with your views and passions but that doesn't mean that they have no right to speak.

I wish that someone would create a reality TV show that features liberals and conservatives simply mixing together. I'm talking about very conservative and liberal people. Maybe they might find something in common.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
"Why are liberals so intolerant of conservatives?"

LOL- Most likely for the same reason conservatives are so intolerant of liberals.
There was this book called "The Big Sort" in which the author Bill Bishop pointed out how Americans are living in places with people who think like them more and more. This can be by economical class but also classed politically. Here's an except from a interview the author did on this effect.

"The result is that you have increasing populations where people talk to those who agree with them politically. They hear stories and facts and figures that support their beliefs.

Over time, social psychology research will tell you that these like-minded groups become more extreme in the way that they're like-minded. Put a group of conservatives in a room and they'll become more conservative. It's just the same with liberals."

Political Segregation Is Growing and 'We're Living With the Consequences'

Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
And conservatives think anyone who doesn't agree with them is "a traitor", "un-American", etc. Remember the Dixie Chicks and freedom fries? Already, they've started again with the "questioning the president is treason (as long as he's a white Republican)" rhetoric.
I remember freedom fries. I've never been much of a country music fan, so I wasn't aware of what happened to the Dixie Chicks until long after. I don't know any of their songs either.

Intolerance can be found among Republicans too. In fact, I've been around people who have said basically "Republicans good, Democrats bad". Vice versa has occurred too.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:24 PM

479 posts, read 1,434,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I remember freedom fries. I've never been much of a country music fan, so I wasn't aware of what happened to the Dixie Chicks until long after. I don't know any of their songs either.

Intolerance can be found among Republicans too. In fact, I've been around people who have said basically "Republicans good, Democrats bad". Vice versa has occurred too.
The bottom line is, Democrats want to govern. Republicans want to rule, to control, to dominate, to dictate, and to persecute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies