Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times

Advertisements

If we get rid of Obamacare, we will be back where we were. I think Obamacare was not the right way to go, but we do need to reform how health care is handled. A few suggestions I came up with:

Insurance premiums tax deductible. I think having insurance benefits everyone. I would not only like to see medical insurance premiums tax deductible, I would like to see all insurance premiums tax deductible.

Insurance sold across state borders. Why should an insurance company be required to incorporate a separate entity for each state.

Whatever company has coverage when a condition arises should cover that condition as long as it exists.

The government should provide reimbursement to an insurance company when the costs of a condition reaches a certain point ($500,000?). There are some conditions that are so expensive that no one company could handle the payments.

Offer varying amounts of deductibles and co-pays. I keep the cash to pay my annual deductible in a CD. It has been quietly earning interest years. I have always been able to pay the deductible each year without accessing my 'backup' money.

Let people buy the coverage they want rather than offering a 'take it or leave it' package. I am of the age where I don't need maternity care - why should I pay for it? When I was young, my main concern was coverage for a condition that would leave me disabled. I wanted more accident coverage than anything else. Now, I am more interested in coverage for expensive, chronic conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:36 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
I agree.

We should replace it with single-payer system like the rest of the advanced world has. They have far lower healthcare costs and much better results.

Obamacare (ACA) was a good start in it's original form, but all of the appeasing of the right turned into nothing, which was their stated goal from the get-go. They were more interested in making Obama's program a failure, than they were doing the will of the people.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
If we get rid of Obamacare, we will be back where we were. I think Obamacare was not the right way to go, but we do need to reform how health care is handled. A few suggestions I came up with:

Insurance premiums tax deductible. I think having insurance benefits everyone. I would not only like to see medical insurance premiums tax deductible, I would like to see all insurance premiums tax deductible.

Insurance sold across state borders. Why should an insurance company be required to incorporate a separate entity for each state.

Whatever company has coverage when a condition arises should cover that condition as long as it exists.

The government should provide reimbursement to an insurance company when the costs of a condition reaches a certain point ($500,000?). There are some conditions that are so expensive that no one company could handle the payments.

Offer varying amounts of deductibles and co-pays. I keep the cash to pay my annual deductible in a CD. It has been quietly earning interest years. I have always been able to pay the deductible each year without accessing my 'backup' money.

Let people buy the coverage they want rather than offering a 'take it or leave it' package. I am of the age where I don't need maternity care - why should I pay for it? When I was young, my main concern was coverage for a condition that would leave me disabled. I wanted more accident coverage than anything else. Now, I am more interested in coverage for expensive, chronic conditions.
" we will be back where we were."

Instead of asking question which cannot be answered at this time, why don't you wait and see?

Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
If we get rid of Obamacare, we will be back where we were.
You mean, before where I could carry just a catastrophic plan for 50-100 bucks a month and it covered me for all real expensive procedures, illness, disease, etc... and even had an experimental drug/procedure option? Then I took care of all my basic and medium based issues out of pocket?

You mean that place we were before?

Old 11-21-2016, 11:14 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You mean, before where I could carry just a catastrophic plan for 50-100 bucks a month and it covered me for all real expensive procedures, illness, disease, etc... and even had an experimental drug/procedure option? Then I took care of all my basic and medium based issues out of pocket?

The one where someone with diabetes or prior history of a health issue that is 100% better now, but they either cannot get insurance because no carrier will accept them, or they pay $1800/mo for a single person plan because they are high risk and that's the only way they can get insurance and if the $1800/mo carrier cancels their coverage, no other carrier will take them.

Or the one where you are healthy and always have been healthy. You have an individual insurance plan one day and everything is perfect. (You don't get it through your employer because you are self employed running a small business). Then you get cancer and 2 months later your insurance plan won't renew your policy during the annual re-enrollment period. They don't want you now that you have cancer. No other insurance carrier will cover you and you are now uninsurable and you're in the middle of chemotherapy/radiation for another few months. You cannot afford the $50,000 worth of treatment that is still necessary to save your life.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:16 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:

Or the place where I was a 22 year old who was denied health insurance due to preexisting conditions, only to be diagnosed with stage IV cancer (unrelated to preexisting conditions) several months later after I thankfully was able to secure employment that had benefits. 6 months of treatment would have cost over $500,000 - more than 14x my income.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:24 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
The new plan should incorporate the best from the ACA

No preexisting exclusion
No cap limits

It should add

Low cost plans for young people catastrophic plan $100-$30 monthly
Children can have their own plan
Adults can choose from many policies depending on desires.

No automatic coverage. If you show up at an ER for treatment and don't have any insurance, you will be assigned a doctor and expected to keep appointments. If you don't keep those appointments, you fall into a high risk category and assigned to a hospital for these people.

Neighborhood doctors and nurses are put into place in communities for checking on patients to avoid use of ER

Old 11-21-2016, 11:29 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
The government should not provide any type of reimbursement for insurance company expenses over any amount... what they should do is limit these type of expenses to have the hospital eat that cost... the hospital should be MORE proactive in these cases because 99% of them have death or worse outcomes... Only a very small percent of people eat up those costs and even then, they die within a few days...

Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
We could try RomneyCare.

Oh, wait...

Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
You mean, before where I could carry just a catastrophic plan for 50-100 bucks a month and it covered me for all real expensive procedures, illness, disease, etc... and even had an experimental drug/procedure option?
Can you provide the names/carrier affiliations of these purported former plans, please? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies