Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:39 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Great. This means workers in general, whether private or public, will have far less leverage and bargaining power. If you work for a private company, your employer can safely cut your benefits knowing you have no place better to potentially go. The rich get richer, and the workers suffer. Just like the GOP want it to be.

Next up, we must find out how to eliminate overtime pay for all workers and eliminate health and safety regulations on the workplace.
What makes you think that? There is always another company looking for qualified applicants that can contribute on "day 1" without needed weeks of remedial training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Good. Federal employees shouldn't be coddled. Let them operate in the real world for a change.
Let him show us he's really serious and start with the benefits the do-nothing Congress receives, otherwise I expect more posturing than substance.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
What makes you think that? There is always another company looking for qualified applicants that can contribute on "day 1" without needed weeks of remedial training.
Of course there isnt. Because ALL workers lose bargaining power and leverage when millions of people lose their benefits in the public sector. When the private sector no longer have to compete with benefits in the public sector, all benefits for workers will suffer. The GOP KNOWS this. Of course they do. Thats the whole point! They are funded by the Chamber of Commerce, the Koch brothers, Wall Street, and the rest of corporate America that seek to create a desperate and insecure work force.

Higher worker insecurity = more power over workers to treat them like garbage. Do you honestly think it is a coincidence that all countries with weak unions have the worst benefits for their workers? Paul Ryan said it himself; a crucial reason to keep health care tied to employment is because it makes workers more desperate and weakens the bargaining power of workers. Employers get more obedient workers who will shut up and they can be ran to the ground.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:53 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course there isnt. Because ALL workers lose bargaining power and leverage when millions of people lose their benefits in the public sector. When the private sector no longer have to compete with benefits in the public sector, all benefits for workers will suffer. The GOP KNOWS this. Of course they do. Thats the whole point! They are funded by the Chamber of Commerce, the Koch brothers, Wall Street, and the rest of corporate America that seek to create a desperate and insecure work force.

Higher worker insecurity = more power over workers to treat them like garbage. Do you honestly think it is a coincidence that all countries with weak unions have the worst benefits for their workers? Paul Ryan said it himself; a crucial reason to keep health care tied to employment is because it makes workers more desperate and weakens the bargaining power of workers. Employers get more obedient workers.
Yep, but for some reason people can't see past the jealous noses on their jealous faces. There is no thinking about the whole of the workforce. It's me, me, me. Does that surprise you with the crowd. Luckily for them, I suspect most are a bunch of bitter old farts and they won't be affected by it. But their children will.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:01 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
There are a ton of poor workers in the government. They should get shown the door. Government needs higher standards. We can't have good government when we have bad government workers.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,141 times
I love how you link poor and bad like that. Says a ton without saying it.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have been a federal employee for a short time. I have always agreed that "firing" reform needs to happen. There is one main reason that it is so difficult and that is because they had to offer some "protection" to the civil servant so that all wouldn't be swept out with each new administration. The civil service has to be a stable, objective, non-partisan workforce that is beyond the touch of political leanings. That said, the protections go WAY too far.
I agree. I was a state employee for a few months during my college summers. During orientation, they said once you're past your probationary period, the only way you can get fired is if you do something horribly negligent, and even that will be tough. I don't see the need for this.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:23 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There are a ton of poor workers in the government. They should get shown the door. Government needs higher standards. We can't have good government when we have bad government workers.
Tons? No. Some, for sure. Do you have data on that to make a sweeping statement?

Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let him show us he's really serious and start with the benefits the do-nothing Congress receives, otherwise I expect more posturing than substance.
You won't get an argument from me about the Congress critters.

We could get rid of the departments of ejamakashun, HUD, homeland insecurity and veterans affairs and be fine. Veterans health services could be rolled into health and human services, where they could also receive embarrassing treatment. Some of the others we could probably consider eliminating too. Commerce is mostly worthless except for the weather stuff. Their work on international trade seems to focus on how best to screw over Americans at the expense of foreigners and multinational corporations.

We could take a major carving knife to all of the other departments (including defense) and be fine. Most of the people that work for the federal government add little to no value whatsoever.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no, I expect they won't, if it goes thru as depicted here. sorry it's from the compost.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...mepage%2Fstory

It is going to really make your head spin when the vast number of alphabet agencies are wiped away and all the power they grabbed and then wielded without caution will be given back to the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies