Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I see that the Beatitudes are a big biblical hit with you.
I have nothing against voluntary charity. That's how it should be. Separation of church and state. So, it's rather odd to say the least that you're bringing the Beatitudes into it.

But forced taxation to fund unearned welfare? No. So, I'll ask you to stop advocating against evolution, practice what you preach, and end unearned welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Nope.

The more you know about science, the more you know about scientific error.

And when one is proposing thousands versus billions of years, a small error in calculations mean large outcome differences.

Taking Carbon Dating for example. We can successfully age the Dead Sea Scrolls for example with relative accuracy, but how about some rock one is proposing for billions of years?

There is no way to validate that information. There are scientists that hold a young earth Creation perspective that are teaching at the University level.

It's certainly not been PROVED with absolute certainty that the age of the Universe is billions of years old.

It is necessary to BELIEVE the universe is billions of years old to believe that Evolution could occur.

Because it's all so implausible to occur because we've never observed it, we have to believe with lots of time it could have occurred.

It's REQUIRED to have a universe billions of years to help the cause of speculation that we evolved. It makes it more believable.

Scientists like everyone else can take their own presumptions into an experiment and come out with interpretation of results with their own biased opinions.

That's not science though. That's their opinion, and in my opinion is a foolish conclusion at best.
You should buy a set of wheels for your car built according to the specification for Pi as given in the bible.

https://gospelofreason.wordpress.com...eliefs-dammit/

Old 11-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have nothing against voluntary charity. That's how it should be. Separation of church and state. So, it's rather odd to say the least that you're bringing the Beatitudes into it.

But forced taxation to fund unearned welfare? No. So, I'll ask you to stop advocating against evolution, practice what you preach, and end unearned welfare.
Your posts dragging welfare into a discussion about evolution are non-sequitur .

Old 11-22-2016, 09:45 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Other than the fact that the biblical account for creation has plant life created before the sun.
The Biblical account is quite interesting actually. It gives the Earth perspective play by play on pretty much exactly how the formation of our planet and the solar system would have looked. The Sun had to reach a critical mass before nuclear fusion could start. "Let there be light." The Sun ignites. The Earth would have been too obscured by clouds and atmosphere at that point for the source of the light to be obvious. Think of a fairly cloudy day. You can't see where the light is coming from. It's just there. As the atmosphere settles down, the sun, moon and stars become visible. This is not far off from the scientific models we currently have on the formation of the earth. Just understand that it's about perspective and not always literal. It must also be understood that humanity probably screwed it up and a lot of things got lost in copying and transcription over the centuries. Allow for "days" to mean a completely nonspecific time period and it works out just fine.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:45 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If I'm concentrating on tone it might be because you're coming off as being all snark and no substance. So far in two posts by you I've seen "HA HA SKY FAIRY" in one and "GO FIND YOUR SAFE SPACE" in another. Pardon me if I've yet to get the impression that I'm dealing with a deep thinker.
OH GODS NO! NOT SNARK! No intelligent person in the world has ever used snark to make a point, not ever!

Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Your posts dragging welfare into a discussion about evolution are non-sequitur .
No, they are not. Unearned welfare directly contradicts evolution. It actively interferes with the natural evolutionary process.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The Biblical account is quite interesting actually. It gives the Earth perspective play by play on pretty much exactly how the formation of our planet and the solar system would have looked. The Sun had to reach a critical mass before nuclear fusion could start. "Let there be light." The Sun ignites. The Earth would have been too obscured by clouds and atmosphere at that point for the source of the light to be obvious. Think of a fairly cloudy day. You can't see where the light is coming from. It's just there. As the atmosphere settles down, the sun, moon and stars become visible. This is not far off from the scientific models we currently have on the formation of the earth. Just understand that it's about perspective and not always literal. It must also be understood that humanity probably screwed it up and a lot of things got lost in copying and transcription over the centuries. Allow for "days" to mean a completely nonspecific time period and it works out just fine.
I guess if the days really mean billions of years............However, with your point in mind, death surely occurred before "the fall of man."

Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Religion does not belong in the public classroom under any circumstances other than based historical context and just as important the same thing goes for ideological politics. For obvious reasons you cannot avoid them, how do you teach history and not include the religious aspect? How do you explain the cold war without including the ideological aspect? While it may be difficult they need to be presented in an unbiased and neutral manner.

If I had kids in school I certainly wouldn't want some politically driven nut bag pushing their politics on them, conversely I wouldn't want some religious nut bag pushing their religious views on them.
It's not about forcing religion on them. It's simply making them aware of the different religions around the world.

Religion plays such a huge role (and often times a root role) in many events, realities, conflicts and goals -- historically and today. Why not help them provide context so that they can have a deeper understanding of the issues facing the world today?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, they are not. Unearned welfare directly contradicts evolution. It actively interferes with the natural evolutionary process.
Perhaps this will help you with your reasoning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)

Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Perhaps this will help you with your reasoning
There's nothing wrong with my reasoning. Unearned welfare directly interferes with and alters the natural evolutionary process. You "claim" to believe in evolution, but strongly advocate for interfering in its natural process and changing what should have been a natural evolutionary outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies