Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times

Advertisements

The U.S. is far more anti-Cuban than anti-Saudi.

Cuba doesn't cooperate with Corporate America, but Saudi Arabia does.

Money determines whether Americans will overlook a country's human rights record or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 08:23 AM

1,180 posts, read 778,386 times
OK good, Senor Culo es Muerto. Can we talk about something else now, please.

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Baffled at how many think Castro wasn't a bad and oppressive leader. Have people not talked to families who defected, especially in the 60s when they were allowed by both governments to move here?

Do some people just not live in areas with a lot of Cuban Americans? Maybe that's it. Not a lot of exposure to immigrants who left everything behind, including extended family, to move here, knowing they would probably never go back.
It's like they think people have been heading onto the open ocean aboard rafts made of trash for McDonalds egg mcmuffins for nearly 60 years. Most of those thousands of people risking their lives left out of fear.

Yeah, he was a hell of a guy. People never seem to see the upside of political executions and torture.

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Anyone who lives in the United States suffered at his hand. He infected this country with his cast-offs and those who came to take U.S. taxpayer dollars they don't deserve.

Time to end Cuban immigrant benefits and give them to other immigrants.
really? do you even know why that happened? Do you know how easy it was to put Castro in his place- and let the CUBANS take back their land in a tiny island? The problem was like gum in America's shoe-- it was designed--and then pres Kennedy died -Bobby died and things just got murky so they left it alone- more than meets the eye.... given the people a hand was a trade off-

and as for infections we seem to have our diseased minds right here-

Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You didn't answer my question. Would the people of Cuba have been richer and happier without Castro's revolution?
Yes, I think it very likely would have turned out that way.

Castro is right up there with Hugo Chavez: a cult of personality built upon hatred of the United States and egged on by Russia and communist sympathizers even as they were destroying their nations. They were pawns in the still-smoldering Cold War and their citizens paid a heavy price for their leaders' narcissism.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He executed people who he thought might eventually be political rivals. He jailed and tortured protesters.

I guess those things are acceptable?
Well certainly not. I'm taking issue with the person I was responding to and their "reasoning" (how generous of me to think they thought about anything in their life).

I would say by contrast, Castro is the most ethical communist leader on the planet. Or was, as of now. Yes, he killed people. But his death toll compared to other communist revolutionaries (and Stalin) is pretty low. Many of those he killed were agents of the government he overthrew, a government that also murdered and tortured. And in the early days of Communist Cuba, he did imprison many, but they were released with time. I'd say past the 1970s, Cuba and it's leader were pretty decent places to live. Many say it's economic problems are due to communism, but that's likely not the case. The US embargo was more the problem. And of course, that's a complicated thing and a thing of the past.

Point is, by contrast, Castro was ok. Not much worse than Vladimir Putin except I actually feel like Castro cares about something other than himself. Maybe not. And maybe Putin does care about the Russian people. It's hard to say really. Point is, overall, Castro was not a terrible leader and while he's far from a saint, to say he's an evil communist without giving a reason makes you an bumbling idiot. And no, I know you didn't do that. But someone did... and they're a bumbling idiot.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:29 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
The best thing that could happen to Cuba. (Castro was sick for decades but outlasted so many good people...). Now, he's finally dead and not a minute too soon. The Castro brothers held back Cuba. No real normalization was possible with them still ruling after 50 + years (Interseting what Castro fans would say about Donald Trump and sons ruling America for 50 years). Anyway, after Raul goes too, Cuba will finally be able to come back - where it belongs.

Last edited by oberon_1; 11-26-2016 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 08:41 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The best thing that happened to Cuba in recent times. (Castro was sick for decades but outlasted so many good people...). Now, he's finally dead and not a minute too soon. The Castro brothers held back Cuba. No real normalization was possible with them still ruling after 50 + years (Interseting what Castro fans would say about Donald Trump and sons ruling America for 50 years). Anyway, after Raul goes too, Cuba will finally be able to come back - where it belongs.
You mean in US control?

Say what you will about Cuba, Castro deserves credit for not simply doing what the US says. The US used to be the strongest voice against imperialism. **** Bill Clinton for not stopping it when he could. But the point is, Cuba refused to be the US's slave and frankly, I respect that.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:44 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Why are Americans pretending that they're advocates for human rights?

You would not care about Cuba's human rights record if Cuba cooperated with Corporate America like Saudi Arabia does.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
You mean in US control?

Say what you will about Cuba, Castro deserves credit for not simply doing what the US says. The US used to be the strongest voice against imperialism. **** Bill Clinton for not stopping it when he could. But the point is, Cuba refused to be the US's slave and frankly, I respect that.
Screw his citizens, he stuck it to the US!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies