Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Cuba's upper class fled Castro. Only South Americans with some resources can make their way to the United States. The people who immigrated to America from these areas were not a representative sample of the countries they left behind. They were, on average, more talented and resourceful. That's why they have done better in America than those whose families have lived in the American Southwest for generations, or walked over the border from Mexico.
Totally makes sense. But I will use the Dominican and Haitian populations as an example of poorer Latino immigrants coming to America and assimilating for the most part. Haitians consider themselves Latino. Those are the only ones I know of and it could be that they've done well because they were disconnected from their island nations whereas central Americans and Mexicans have a closer familial ties to the nearby countries and it will take several generation to assimilate.

I also forgot about Brazilians and Portuguese in the north east but they probably followed the same assimilation as Italians.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:46 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Italians are white but the majority of the Italians that came to USA were the persecuted and discriminated Southetn Italians like Sicilians and Neapolitans. They were treated much like Hispanics today, actually much worse.

What I don't like seeing though are racist Italians who mock Hispanics when to Anglo whites they're only a stones throw away of a difference between them. When I hear Nick DiPaolo or Adam Corolla the right wing comedians make borderline racist jokes against Hispanics I think "look at these schmucks, come to my small home town of Texas and people will think you're Mexican", so don't throw stones.
Def a real good point about dark skin people of both Italian and Hispanic family.

Tho I think a LOT has to do WHEN Italians came here compared to at least Mexicans. 100 year ago there wasn't "white guilt" and; aliens who came here KNEW that so, it was either "fit in" or go back home'. Word was 1 Italian alien in 3 went back TO Italy cause they didn't fit in here in the US. I'm 100 percent sure that a LOT of Mexicans also left or got kicked out of here if illegal.

2016 it's "PC" to NOT fit in when in the US. Too; oceans do a real good job in keep people in or out. Land borders, like with Mexico, not so much.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:49 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They benefit from various affirmative action policies. Businesses can be sued under the "four fifths rule" if the government thinks the correct percentage of Hispanics has not been hired.
Four-Fifths Rule a.k.a. Eighty Percent Rule : best HR
From that link:

"A major concern is identified as adverse impact, which is intentionally or unintentionally, the personnel practices and policies of some businesses that have had a disproportionate effect on individuals in classes protected by law. If policies and practices in hiring, transfer, promotion, and firing significantly affect people with protected status, the effect is labeled “adverse impact.” To reduce subjective interpretations of disproportionate, significant affect, and adverse impact, the EEOC has the authority and tools to analyze these practices statistically. Employers with practices deemed as adverse in their impact are subject to consequences in the law."

Simply being Hispanic doesn't qualify for protected status. The four fifths rule doesn't apply because someone is simply Hispanic.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Not yet, but they will. In fifty years your grandkids will all speak spanish as a first language.
To be fair: the "Hispanic" wave has peaked and's starting to drop back between MUCH lower birthrates in Mexico and, more and more people going back TO LatAm. Too; more and more "mixed" kids are now claing "anglo white" so that also'll cut down the "Hispanic" numbers in the US.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Def a real good point about dark skin people of both Italian and Hispanic family.

Tho I think a LOT has to do WHEN Italians came here compared to at least Mexicans. 100 year ago there wasn't "white guilt" and; aliens who came here KNEW that so, it was either "fit in" or go back home'. Word was 1 Italian alien in 3 went back TO Italy cause they didn't fit in here in the US. I'm 100 percent sure that a LOT of Mexicans also left or got kicked out of here if illegal.

2016 it's "PC" to NOT fit in when in the US. Too; oceans do a real good job in keep people in or out. Land borders, like with Mexico, not so much.
Yes, that was a point I brought up earlier. Hispanics were probably assimilating much better before the political invention of the word "Latino", "Hispanic" as a racial category in America. It otherized people from Latin America into their own racial group even though they're not a race. How can Cameron Diaz, Sammy Sosa, and George Lopez all be of the same race? It makes no sense.

No one in Latin America uses the "Latino" racial label to describe any of their citizens. By otherizing Hispanics and Latinos and even for the most part lumping them all together, and mostly defining them based on the majority of Mexican/Central American culture, it made them seem too different than they really are from the rest of Americans. And they're not really. They have actually adapted well because of the strong work ethic, the European derived culture and the fact that many are Christian/Catholic.

They were actually following the same trajectory as Italians until this notion of Latino was pushed more.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Yes but that underclass are largely undocumented workers from Central America. But there is clear evidence of many Hispanic people that have assimilated and are part of the overall culture, especially in the Southwest. It's not uncommon in Texas or CA for someone with a Hispanic last name to be in politics or business and no one bats an eye. I think of the Cubans as the best example. I've noticed a lot of non-central American Latinos assimilate quicker too.
Word is LatAm people from Argentina and Chile DON'T like being lumped in with even white Mexican Americans, which I find just stupid and sad.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Yes, that was a point I brought up earlier. Hispanics were probably assimilating much better before the political invention of the word "Latino", "Hispanic" as a racial category in America. It otherized people from Latin America into their own racial group even though they're not a race. How can Cameron Diaz, Sammy Sosa, and George Lopez all be of the same race? It makes no sense.

No one in Latin America uses the "Latino" racial label to describe any of their citizens. By otherizing Hispanics and Latinos and even for the most part lumping them all together, and mostly defining them based on the majority of Mexican/Central American culture, it made them seem too different than they really are from the rest of Americans. And they're not really. They have actually adapted well because of the strong work ethic, the European derived culture and the fact that many are Christian/Catholic.

They were actually following the same trajectory as Italians until this notion of Latino was pushed more.
It's true. You also forgot to include Alberto Fujimori. He's Latino as well. It's only in the US where everyone from Latin America becomes Latino or Hispanic. But, I don't care anymore. I'm not 100% white looking. Being an individual in America is only for John and Jane Smith. I've accepted it, so whatever.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Totally makes sense. But I will use the Dominican and Haitian populations as an example of poorer Latino immigrants coming to America and assimilating for the most part. Haitians consider themselves Latino. Those are the only ones I know of and it could be that they've done well because they were disconnected from their island nations whereas central Americans and Mexicans have a closer familial ties to the nearby countries and it will take several generation to assimilate.

I also forgot about Brazilians and Portuguese in the north east but they probably followed the same assimilation as Italians.
"Portuguese" people of a "funny case" since a LOT of them straight count themselves as "anglo white" AND get real pissed IF referred to as "Hispanic"; even with Spanish sounding last names like Garcia, Silva and so on.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's true. You also forgot to include Alberto Fujimori. He's Latino as well. It's only in the US where everyone from Latin America becomes Latino or Hispanic. But, I don't care anymore. I'm not 100% white looking. Being an individual in America is only for John and Jane Smith. I've accepted it, so whatever.
What IS 100 percent "white" looking? If talking white skin, blond hair and blue eyes; I knew a woman who COULD claim "Latina" real easy cause her Spanish speaking mom is from Spain but, the "vatos" would NEVER accept her, especially the chola woman.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Word is LatAm people from Argentina and Chile DON'T like being lumped in with even white Mexican Americans, which I find just stupid and sad.
That's true. But at the same time all issues affecting mostly Mexicans and Central Americans are considered "Latino" issues so ther prolly angers other Latinos. for instance I remember watching the daily show and they said that Cubans don't count as Latinos because they don't vote Democrat like other Latinos which of course are majority Mexican and Central American.

Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are not seen as Latino because they've assimilated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies