Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
What IS 100 percent "white" looking? If talking white skin, blond hair and blue eyes; I knew a woman who COULD claim "Latina" real easy cause her Spanish speaking mom is from Spain but, the "vatos" would NEVER accept her, especially the chola woman.
Yes the whole alienation and all the otherism of Latinos is mostly due to the Chicano La Raza sub-culture of mostly Mexican and Central American 70s radicals. That's mostly what liberals use to define Latino politics

Old 11-27-2016, 09:15 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Simply being Hispanic doesn't qualify for protected status. The four fifths rule doesn't apply because someone is simply Hispanic.
Sure it does. And it has been a factor in many lawsuits.

https://www1.eeoc.gov//eeoc/initiati...nderforprint=1

Old 11-28-2016, 12:14 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
California isn't the whole US, though.

Yeah I missed the part where I'm supposed to get a 100k job along with free medical care, free food, and free housing. If you find out where I can get all of that, oh and a free iPhone provided by Obama, sign me up!

99% of people complaining about Hispanics don't know any, for one, a d two, they live in a nearly, or in a 100% white town. Almost every Latino I came across in PA can hardly speak Spanish. And any Latina that is decent, is hooked up with a white guy
My cousins barely speak Spanish, and their kids don't even understand it. But...but...they don't assimilate.

There are many Whites in my family, even Asians and African-Americans.

You are right, most people don't even know what they are talking about.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hispanics are following the same trajectory as Italians did when they assimilated. Now Hispanics suffered way less than Italians, but the trajectory is the same. It's not uncommon to see a people we assume are just "white" with a Hispanic background name such as Emilio Estevez or Freddie Prinze Jr. The most popular girl in my high school was a blonde girl named Martinez, Mexican father and Anglo mother. In the next few generations, it will not be noticeable. Much like today no one bats an eye to someone named Giuliani or Cardinelli. It's just seen as American. Latinos will likely be "Anglinized" too.
That has been happening for a while now. Ted Williams is half-Mexican. So is Linda Rondstadt- actually her last name is from her Mexican side. There are tons of White people with Anglo last names and Hispanic last names, it's normal around here.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Not really. Italian Americans assimilated to the American norm, in terms of education and socioeconomic level, within a couple generations. That hasn't happened with Hispanics. There is a large Latino underclass that isn't going away.
Hispanics are at every socio- economic level. It isn't a coincidence that the judge who got the Trump University case was Hispanic. I work in law and at least 30% of the judges, lawyers, etc...are Hispanic.

Could they do better? Yes, but many come from poverty and it usually takes a generation or two.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Totally makes sense. But I will use the Dominican and Haitian populations as an example of poorer Latino immigrants coming to America and assimilating for the most part. Haitians consider themselves Latino. Those are the only ones I know of and it could be that they've done well because they were disconnected from their island nations whereas central Americans and Mexicans have a closer familial ties to the nearby countries and it will take several generation to assimilate.

I also forgot about Brazilians and Portuguese in the north east but they probably followed the same assimilation as Italians.

Some Brazilians assimilate, some don't. They are not any different from other immigrants. I'm married to a Brazilian and many of my friends are Brazilian. Actually many of them have married Mexican-Americans.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's true. You also forgot to include Alberto Fujimori. He's Latino as well. It's only in the US where everyone from Latin America becomes Latino or Hispanic. But, I don't care anymore. I'm not 100% white looking. Being an individual in America is only for John and Jane Smith. I've accepted it, so whatever.
Very true.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Hispanics are at every socio- economic level.
Of course they are. But that has no bearing on the point I made.
Quote:
It isn't a coincidence that the judge who got the Trump University case was Hispanic. I work in law and at least 30% of the judges, lawyers, etc...are Hispanic.
In your area perhaps, but certainly nowhere near that nationally.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 11-28-2016 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 06:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They benefit from various affirmative action policies. Businesses can be sued under the "four fifths rule" if the government thinks the correct percentage of Hispanics has not been hired.
Four-Fifths Rule a.k.a. Eighty Percent Rule : best HR
Ok, I see you are confused about the terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies