Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Once again Planned Parenthood is not the only clinic that receives federal funding, this was a bipartisan agreement that has been in place for over 40 years to fund these facilities and help low income people.
Honestly, that's why I asked. Was wondering where this federal funding came in and why. So to remove Planned Parenthood only funding, they would either need to amend and/or revoke this existing law. I would be a fan, as I said before, to make these places all charitable organizations without any taxpayer dollars.

I really do not believe the taxpayer should be funding these types of places when we already have CHIP, Obamacare, Medicaid, and any other number of things for low income healthcare concerns from various states. On top of that, forty years ago insurance was a different beast and healthcare options were a different beast (no urgent cares, CVS clinics, Nurse Practitioners, etc), and thus it seems time to revisit a law that may have been necessary then but could be shifted as a burden from the federal government to private donors instead today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I really do not believe the taxpayer should be funding these types of places when we already have CHIP, Obamacare, Medicaid, and any other number of things for low income healthcare concerns from various states.
Not everyone has these options. I went back to school to finish my degree. Since I was working part time, I did not make enough to qualify for Obama care. I am not a child, so CHIP was not an option, and I'm not qualified for medicaid either.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Has anyone ever considered funding all BUT abortion through PP?

As in, abortions are 100% not covered by PP, but everything else they do (health screenings, exams, providing contraception) is covered?

Why throw the baby out with the bathwater, as it were?

I'm all for free birth control. I'd have free condom dispensers in high schools if I could.

It's not gonna make them have sex more, because high schoolers are GOING TO HAVE SEX ANYWAY.
I am all for free birth control, also. I look at it as a prudent investment. I just wish Planned Parenthood created a totally separate entity for abortion services that involved no commingling whatsoever of finances.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am all for free birth control, also. I look at it as a prudent investment. I just wish Planned Parenthood created a totally separate entity for abortion services that involved no commingling whatsoever of finances.
It would make them less controversial, yes. But I also think they use that controversy for fundraising opportunities. Thus, I don't see them changing it anytime soon.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Not everyone has these options. I went back to school to finish my degree. Since I was working part time, I did not make enough to qualify for Obama care. I am not a child, so CHIP was not an option, and I'm not qualified for medicaid either.
And if Planned Parenthood was funded solely by donors instead of the federal government (my desire), you still would have had that option, yes? I said far earlier upthread, I have no issue whatsoever with Planned Parenthood or other clinics like them. I would prefer they be like other charitable organizations and gather their funds via fundraising instead of the taxpayer. I just do not think the federal government should be financially supporting via direct grants/funds charities at all. Give them the tax break, sure, but forced charity from the taxpayers? Bridge too far.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Honestly, that's why I asked. Was wondering where this federal funding came in and why. So to remove Planned Parenthood only funding, they would either need to amend and/or revoke this existing law. I would be a fan, as I said before, to make these places all charitable organizations without any taxpayer dollars.

I really do not believe the taxpayer should be funding these types of places when we already have CHIP, Obamacare, Medicaid, and any other number of things for low income healthcare concerns from various states. On top of that, forty years ago insurance was a different beast and healthcare options were a different beast (no urgent cares, CVS clinics, Nurse Practitioners, etc), and thus it seems time to revisit a law that may have been necessary then but could be shifted as a burden from the federal government to private donors instead today.
That is an honest response and while I disagree I respect your opinion, where I take exception is removng funding from just Planned Parenthood for political reasons. I have not heard from anyone else focusing entirely on killing off Title X, they just want to restrict PP's funding for clinics.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
PP will be defunded, 100%.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:51 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You mean most of the people Planned Parenthood serves are minorities, in hopes there will be fewer of them?
Yes, as Margaret Sanger intended.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
PP is not a racist organization, no matter how much you want it to be.
Actually, it is. It disproportionately aborts minority babies, exactly as Margaret Sanger intended.

BlackGenocide.org | Abortion and the Black Community

Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Has anyone ever considered funding all BUT abortion through PP?

As in, abortions are 100% not covered by PP, but everything else they do (health screenings, exams, providing contraception) is covered?

Why throw the baby out with the bathwater, as it were?

I'm all for free birth control. I'd have free condom dispensers in high schools if I could.

It's not gonna make them have sex more, because high schoolers are GOING TO HAVE SEX ANYWAY.
The typical liberal mindset.

If we can't stop something allow it without restrictions.

"high schoolers are GOING TO HAVE SEX ANYWAY."

Why have age limits on buying alcohol? Teenagers are going to buy it anyway?

Why have speed limits?

Teenagers are going to speed anyway?

Why have grug use laws?

Teenager are going to do drugs anyway?

Hell, what ANY laws?

People are going to break them anyway.

What a cop-out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies