Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Actually, those are only "facts" in the broadest sense of the word, as in "look at how Obama can manipulate reality." It's amazing to me that liberals are still throwing out the "unemployment" statistic, for example, even though everyone already knows that it's a farce. Only in liberal America can you actually report that more people are returning to work, which will drive unemployment numbers up (this is actually something that has been used in news reports). Only in liberal America can you recite economic statistics while 95 million people aren't working and then grin expectantly like "see how much I know?"
Who makes up the largest segment of that 95 million? The retired. Since when did we count retired people in the unemployment numbers. Less than 6 million of that 95 million wants a job. Since that 6 million aren't actually looking for work they are not included in the unemployment numbers. 20 years ago when the UE was lower and the LFPR was at its highest and the population was smaller there were 4 million in that category. Fact is we are near full employment. Anyone, President-Elect, who is pointing to the 95 million not in the work force is blowing smoke is either hoping people don't understand or they themselves don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 03:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Who makes up the largest segment of that 95 million? The retired. Since when did we count retired people in the unemployment numbers. Less than 6 million of that 95 million wants a job. Since that 6 million aren't actually looking for work they are not included in the unemployment numbers. 20 years ago when the UE was lower and the LFPR was at its highest and the population was smaller there were 4 million in that category. Fact is we are near full employment. Anyone, President-Elect, who is pointing to the 95 million not in the work force is blowing smoke is either hoping people don't understand or they themselves don't understand.
Yes, this is where a liberal comes in and says "yeah, those are all retired people!" Sure, except:

- Odd how everyone retired exactly when Obama appeared on the scene AND as they mass retired in millions his economy supposedly exploded to the moon.

- Also odd how supposedly (I'll be generous) 50 million people in America are retired. Liberal America, where you don't have to work or have any savings, but can retire comfortably.

- This guy actually said we're at full employment. I'm not joking. Look right up there at his post. And he wants anyone to take him seriously.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Yes, this is where a liberal comes in and says "yeah, those are all retired people!" Sure, except:

- Odd how everyone retired exactly when Obama appeared on the scene AND as they mass retired in millions his economy supposedly exploded to the moon.

- Also odd how supposedly (I'll be generous) 50 million people in America are retired. Liberal America, where you don't have to work or have any savings, but can retire comfortably.

- This guy actually said we're at full employment. I'm not joking. Look right up there at his post. And he wants anyone to take him seriously.
We have historically discussed full employment in the US as unemployment under 5%. We are there right now. The Fed is increasingly confident that we have reached full employment.

Demographics drive retirements. Baby Boomers are right around retirement age, so (surprise!) more people are retiring. Those people have a mix of savings/assets, Social Security, and pensions.

The centrist view in the United States is that people should be able to retire and continue to live in financially secure circumstances. The radical conservatives, in health & labor policy, want more Americans to work until they die.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Its not true that everyone suddenly retired when Obama appeared on the scene. The NIWF number increased by 1 million in 2007 and 1.5 million in 2008.

When Obama took office in Jan 2009 there were 80.5 million in that category, only 5.7 million of those wanted a job. In Oct 2016 there are 94.6 million NIWF, and only 5.9 million want a job.

Other large segments of the 94.6 million include students (16 to 24 years of age), families with stay at home parents and the disabled.

Obama just happened to become President just after baby boomers started to retire. The baby boomers will also be retiring during Trump's presidency. So I would predict the NIWF number will continue to grow. This will be true regardless of the unemployment rate.

Bottom line there could be more people in the NIWF category that could be induced to return to the work force, but the pool is not that large.

The idea that there are 95 million people out of work who want to work is just ludicrous.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Obama just happened to become President just after baby boomers started to retire.
Actually, he became President just before Baby Boomers started to retire involuntarily.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, he became President just before Baby Boomers started to retire involuntarily.
The oldest baby boomer, born in 1946, would have been 64 years old in 2009. Historically, starting around age 55 people start leaving the work force. So the early affects of the baby boomers aging would have started at the beginning of the Bush administration.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:53 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Trump does not deserve credit for the economic performance of the United States before he is President. As with every President, Trump inherits the economy of his predecessor. He is inheriting a good one. Obama inherited an awful one.

People have such short memories. Do posters not recall the collapse of Lehman & Bear Stearns? The GM bankruptcy? The foreclosure & financial crisis? The global economy ran off a cliff in late 2007, speaking of which . . .

It's not exactly useful to imagine that Obama was at a healthy 142 million jobs when we were losing 800k jobs per month when Obama took office. Here is a more useful chart:

Graph: Unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted)

The economy collapsed under the Bush Administration. It has slowly and steadily recovered under the Obama Administration, which is handing Trump an economy with full employment and rising growth.

If you expect the debt to shrink or slow, then I don't think you looked at Trump's tax plan.
Exactly why Presidential scholars already have Obama ranked #18 overall. Trump orangeflakes just don't want to acknowledge how good the economy is. Personally, I am sitting really good compared to 2007-09.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
you think trump will give a trillion dollars of government money to his friends to start with

Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
I'm not Repub or dem...Obama was as bad or worse than bush and I didn't think that was possible.

Obummer proved me wrong.

Trump is a jackass but maybe we'll get lucky. He's already done more good than the last 16 years of presidents combined.

Trade wasn't even being discussed until he entered the picture. TPP burn in hell.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Employment did decrease to 4.9% under Obama, that's somethin'. Romney promised 6% when he ran.

I know people were disappointed with him after the first term, but overall I think he had a successful presidency and that history will remember him kindly.
The economy took care of itself. If anything Obama's meddling held it back. That man had simply no clue, but he was very good delivering speeches written for him by brighter people.

History will remember him kindly because he did not do more damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies