Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Don't look now but Al Gore is in Davos DEFENDING TRUMPs Tariff on China's Solar Panels.
Well, it's a little more nuanced than that but I'm not surprised that you chose not to include his full statement on the issue:

"I don't typically defend him," Gore said during a panel discussion at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Wednesday. "(But) I will say in this case it really did not start with him. This was a trade action brought by private companies. They chose a kind of midpoint in the range of alternatives ... It could have been handled differently, should have been handled differently but it's not an utter catastrophe," he added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/al-g...ar-panels.html

Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not the policy that is so shocking; it is that he tweeted out his trade plans and threats to the America's business community at 4 am this morning!
He was on a plane to Switzerland at that time. Probably couldn't sleep.

When we get older -- we don't sleep well in strange places.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
A few days ago my husband and I went shopping (Outlets) for athletic shoes. He wanted to buy a certain "Made in America" brand. I started looking through the racks. Not one single pair in my size 5. So I went to the clearance rack where there were a lot in my size but all were MORE expensive than the regular priced shoes. This is CLEARANCE?

Husband found a pair for $70. The Women's Section had the same style shoe also for $70. I saw the same shoe in my size 5 on the "clearance" rack for $130! I went to the store manager with the same style shoes in two sizes and asked why the clearance shoe in the smaller size was more money than the bigger size. He just shrugged. I walked out.

Is this what Buy American means? Getting ripped off? No, thank you. I'll go buy the ones Made in South America, even if Trump makes them more expensive.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
A few days ago my husband and I went shopping (Outlets) for athletic shoes. He wanted to buy a certain "Made in America" brand. I started looking through the racks. Not one single pair in my size 5. So I went to the clearance rack where there were a lot in my size but all were MORE expensive than the regular priced shoes. This is CLEARANCE?

Husband found a pair for $70. The Women's Section had the same style shoe also for $70. I saw the same shoe in my size 5 on the "clearance" rack for $130! I went to the store manager with the same style shoes in two sizes and asked why the clearance shoe in the smaller size was more money than the bigger size. He just shrugged. I walked out.

Is this what Buy American means? Getting ripped off? No, thank you. I'll go buy the ones Made in South America, even if Trump makes them more expensive.

And that is your choice. Some prefer quality some prefer a bargain. I wear boots on a daily basis, not because I need to , I just like the style. There are plenty out there that can be had around the $100 mark. And when I researched them people raved , and they lasted 3 years .... 3 years , really ? I ended up finding a hand made by a 100 year old company in Spokane WA boot using US made materials. They did cost 4 times the others but are guaranteed for life. Like I said, some care some don't. That is your choice.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:48 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

That makes absolutely no sense. So it's Trump's fault the store has stupid pricing? Do you blame him for your blue hair too?

Old 01-25-2018, 09:49 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. So it's Trump's fault the store has stupid pricing? Do you blame him for your blue hair too?

Thanks, I just spit coffee all over the place....

Old 01-25-2018, 10:14 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
The company I work for spends I’m guessing 10 million on vehicles alone every year and multiple that by 10 for other equipment. Within 2 weeks of Trump’s inauguration we got a memo from the federal government asking for information about the country of origin of all our capital expenditures. We are a state and federally regulated business so we had to comply. I’m guessing he’s serious about this.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
On this, he’d have my support.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:25 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
On this, he’d have my support.
I don't support the idea of jacking up the price of washers by a third to coerce us to buy crap made by Whirlpool or GE.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:36 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Japanese auto quotas set Detroit back decades and subsidized inefficiency of the us manufacturers. Tariffs work both ways don't think for one minute that other countries won't respond in kind. Get ready to pay more for everything.

Don't see the problem with Japanese/European cars being built in the US with US steel, plastic, glass, ect.

The point is to make jobs better for Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies