Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 12:14 PM

59,223 posts, read 27,416,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
he does own stock and before all this presidential stuff- said it was great stock
I just heard a while back he SOLD ALL of his stocks in order to eliminate a "conflict of interest" for when he takes the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 12:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,652,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
He does need to keep his mouth shut about it.

As stated, I've worked in government contracting. Many agencies do not thoroughly review their agreements and I'm sure that Boeing will use whatever clause they can to collect damages based on specific terms of their agreements. There are formal guidelines to FOIA (freedom of information act). Government officials cannnot broadcast the pricing agreements unilaterally like this. They have to follow the process.

I think his inexperience with this will cause us as taxpayers more than the stock drop for Boeing.

It was VERY irresponsible.
At this moment, is Trump a government official?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, its not a "deflection" its a real world example of politics as usual. Part of "discussing" something as you claim you want to do, includes looking at all of the surrounding inputs and reviewing similar situations so you have a benchmark to look at. I'm sure you have heard the idiom about learning from history as to not repeat your mistakes? How would that be possible without looking at prior relevant and similar situations?

It sounds like you want a Trump bashing thread, not a actual discussion that includes historical similarities and benchmarks to compare current decisions or actions to.
Well, OK then, let's discuss the sudden tweet from Donald Trump to cancel a boeing contract, that came 22 minutes after the CEO of Boeing released an opinion in the Chicago Trib that Trump's proposed trade policies are going to hurt American business in a very big way.
Let's see you dance around those facts.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:18 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The price is for two planes, and the R&D is expensive considering all the custom electronics, air defense etc, and apparently there aren't other US vendors who can build a four engine plane like that. They could always ask Airbus, but I would think they'll want to stick with a US aircraft.
Boeing typically assembles the plane and designs it, but they typically source all their parts. An extensive review of Boeing's supply chain costs should be conducted to find out where they can lower their costs. In a sole source environment, depending on certain competition requirements, the government has the right to view certified cost and pricing information.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Let me see if I have this right. A military contractor bumps the price of a $350 million commercial plane to $4 billion, an increase of 11x, in order to meet contract requirements. The president-elect says that's too much for a fancy plane just to haul the president around. And the liberals explode for saying a "military contract" is out of control and we should reign-in spending and hold the contractor accountable. Is that about right?

Trump derangement syndrome on full display once again.
Actually, IMO you are showing the above.

What many of us are saying is that he should not broadcast the price of the vendor. He should have negotiated privately like businesses and government agencies usually do.

It was irresponsible and reckless of him to "Tweet" this information especially when it is not finalized.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:19 PM

59,223 posts, read 27,416,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Pedro- do you see how Trump hurt the Company by tweeting shyte-? can he simply just get HIS people to talk to their people- and say No- GSA handles most contracts for the rest- this I think is defense, and yes, there are people to cut the cost down with out screaming like BOEIGN is a rapist of the American tax payer- on tweeter-
but n the same token- you do not have a problem with the millions spent in Security at trump towers- and get mad when I mention rent-a cops-
"do you see how Trump hurt the Company by tweeting shyte-? can he simply just get HIS people to talk to their people-"

In is book The Art of a Deal he says it is better for negotiations to bring it out into the public, so companies are exposed to the public what they are trying to do.

I see NOTING wrong with trying to get the price down.

I also heard Boeing was a BIG contributor to Hillary.

Could the high price of the contract be a "deal" between Hillary and Boeing?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Boeing typically assembles the plane and designs it, but they typically source all their parts. An extensive review of Boeing's supply chain costs should be conducted to find out where they can lower their costs. In a sole source environment, depending on certain competition requirements, the government has the right to view certified cost and pricing information.

This is true in regards to the bold.

If he had concerns regarding the pricing he can ask for a breakdown of cost. This is actually included and supported in the Code of Federal Regulations - CFR part 200, which oversees government procurement and contract administration.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The price is for two planes, and the R&D is expensive considering all the custom electronics, air defense etc, and apparently there aren't other US vendors who can build a four engine plane like that. They could always ask Airbus, but I would think they'll want to stick with a US aircraft.
You raise a good point, Finn.

The folk at Airbus probably break out the champagne every time Trump opens his mouth about trade, given Boeing's future pipeline includes orders for 200 commercial air craft from China. I'm

There is no shortage of aggressive international competition that would be thrilled to bid. These two come to mind:

Bombardier / Canada has a catchy name.

Then there's Irkut/ Russia.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"do you see how Trump hurt the Company by tweeting shyte-? can he simply just get HIS people to talk to their people-"

In is book The Art of a Deal he says it is better for negotiations to bring it out into the public, so companies are exposed to the public what they are trying to do.

I see NOTING wrong with trying to get the price down.

I also heard Boeing was a BIG contributor to Hillary.

Could the high price of the contract be a "deal" between Hillary and Boeing?

His book is about private market business practices right?

It is not applicable to government contracting. Government contracts require that agencies and employees of said agencies utilize the CFR or Dod regulations to negotiate prices and certain information is not supposed to be shared with other vendors during this process.

Trump shared this information with the entire world!!

It was irresponsible. Also, as stated above, Boeing could take legal action over this. I know you guys love Trump but do you honestly believe he should have broadcast this in such a way?

In regards to Hillary, the election is over. Also, Trump until being elected owned stock in Boeing!!

Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,991,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Well, OK then, let's discuss the sudden tweet from Donald Trump to cancel a boeing contract, that came 22 minutes after the CEO of Boeing released an opinion in the Chicago Trib that Trump's proposed trade policies are going to hurt American business in a very big way.
Let's see you dance around those facts.
Nobody is dancing around anything, you seem to want to make everything personal. I never supported Trump as a candidate and I never voted for him. I do however want to try and give him the benefit of the doubt, especially considering he isn't even in office yet.

And in all reality, I don't know that I buy that Trump is such a voracious reader that the CEO story hit his radar and he had time to react in 22 minutes.

The bottom line is that its a HUGE spend, and there is nothing wrong with pushing for a revised estimate on the total cost. Especially when you consider that the planes may be older, but they have nowhere near the air miles on them that traditional passenger planes have. If the incoming POTUS thinks he can find away to save some money on a $3+ Billion spend that doesn't have a sense of urgency around it, what exactly is the issue with giving it a few months to re-evaluate.

If it truly is because he just has a beef with the CEO, then thats a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies