Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 04:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She did do something big. Born into slavery, beaten and broken, she displayed a heroic strength of character. 20 million other people didn't do what she did. I really feel sorry for the people who are opposed to honoring her contributions.
That would make her a hero, but did that result in a policy shift that permanently changed the country?
In other words, if Harriet Tubman didn't do any of this, would we still have slavery?

Old 12-22-2016, 06:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He's being removed to make way for a different American hero.

The same way that others have been removed in the past.
I agree with this.

He is not being removed for some sort of specific "reason." Actually they were going to remove Hamilton, per my reference in a previous post and not Jackson, but after the Hamilton musical gained in popularity, there was an outcry from fans not to remove him and so Jackson was next to consider.

Again, I think it is because he and Hamilton, prior to the musical coming out, were the least well known people on our currency.

Regardless, it is not a slight to Jackson to be removed. Currency changes and we have a lot of heroes who IMO should get consideration as well to be on a bill.

Only a few people in this thread it seems are upset about Jackson being on the bill and IMO they probably didn't know anything about him either until people started talking about this and I believe they are having a defensive reaction to other people's prejudice about Harriet Tubman.

She really was an American hero. IMO we should look at it as an honorable thing that Jackson is giving his position to the next wave of American heroes and not believe he shouldn't be taken off. We only have so many currency bills in use today so someone, eventually will have to be removed and it makes sense to have the least well known person removed. I also think that Grant should be removed from the $50 in the future as not a lot of people know much about him either other than he was a general in the Civil War. IMO Lincoln on the $5 is enough of a Civil War reference. It would be cool IMO if we could have themed currency or maybe change them up every 10-20 years like they do in other countries, at least for specific denominations of bills.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:56 AM

811 posts, read 551,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Thank you
Lol So she was a terroriist but the slave owners throughout the south she was fighting against that enslaved other people, raped them (men, women, children), whipped them for trying to break free, fed kids to alligators, and forced reproduction among the slaves to create another generation of them wasn't terrorism? 69 is awfully less than the amount that died during the slave trade

A lot of you didn't read the fine print. Andrew Jackson is STAYING on the front of the bill. Harriet Tubman will be on the back.

Still curious why you're opposed to it. "Keeping it the way it is" isn't a good argument because then nothing in this country would change

Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
Just more symbolism from a symbolic president. I can understand the symbolism to a point. Ultimately, all symbolism is shallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Right so leave it alone

Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Lol So she was a terroriist but the slave owners throughout the south she was fighting against that enslaved other people, raped them (men, women, children), whipped them for trying to break free, fed kids to alligators, and forced reproduction among the slaves to create another generation of them wasn't terrorism? 69 is awfully less than the amount that died during the slave trade

A lot of you didn't read the fine print. Andrew Jackson is STAYING on the front of the bill. Harriet Tubman will be on the back.

Still curious why you're opposed to it. "Keeping it the way it is" isn't a good argument because then nothing in this country would change
Where did you read Tubman was going to be on the back? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

He is not being removed for some sort of specific "reason." Actually they were going to remove Hamilton, per my reference in a previous post and not Jackson, but after the Hamilton musical gained in popularity, there was an outcry from fans not to remove him and so Jackson was next to consider.

Again, I think it is because he and Hamilton, prior to the musical coming out, were the least well known people on our currency.

Regardless, it is not a slight to Jackson to be removed. Currency changes and we have a lot of heroes who IMO should get consideration as well to be on a bill.

Only a few people in this thread it seems are upset about Jackson being on the bill and IMO they probably didn't know anything about him either until people started talking about this and I believe they are having a defensive reaction to other people's prejudice about Harriet Tubman.

She really was an American hero. IMO we should look at it as an honorable thing that Jackson is giving his position to the next wave of American heroes and not believe he shouldn't be taken off. We only have so many currency bills in use today so someone, eventually will have to be removed and it makes sense to have the least well known person removed. I also think that Grant should be removed from the $50 in the future as not a lot of people know much about him either other than he was a general in the Civil War. IMO Lincoln on the $5 is enough of a Civil War reference. It would be cool IMO if we could have themed currency or maybe change them up every 10-20 years like they do in other countries, at least for specific denominations of bills.
REALLY?? NOT BECAUSE HE WAS THE 18th POTUS???

Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. She is only a terrorist to those who feel endangered by her motives. She was about freedom and was willing to die and kill for that freedom. She is only a terrorist to those who want slavery to continue(or return).

Old 12-22-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

Sounds like you're kind of advocating for something like the state quarters program where a different person is showcased on a bill far more often. Limiting money to founding fathers by nature only limits your options to a handful of white guys from the east coast. Could be worse, a lot of foreign countries will simply have the same guy on all their bills.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. She is only a terrorist to those who feel endangered by her motives. She was about freedom and was willing to die and kill for that freedom. She is only a terrorist to those who want slavery to continue(or return).
She may have been a terrorist just for her day.
Imagine if abortion ever becomes illegal again, and a hundred years from now we put somebody who blew up an abortion clinic on a dollar bill. One could say, "well, it was wrong at the time, but they were willing to kill for what they believed in".

Old 12-22-2016, 09:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Just leave it the way it is.

That's all
Very compelling argument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies