Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 12:06 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why?
I think that poster sees racists behind every corner. Even if they're not there.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:08 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Once upon a time Andrew Jackson was on the $5 dollar bill. He got bumped off of that bill, and eventually made it onto the $20 dollar bill. WE change the design of the bills regularly. When it came time to redesign the $20 this time, a campaign was launched to put a woman on the bill and the Treasury department sought public input. The reason wasn't some bs to remove Jackson. The reason was that the centennial anniversary of woman's suffrage was coming up. Women won the vote in 1920. The centennial will be 2020. Putting a woman on the $20 has symbolic value. Tubman was simply the woman chosen.
Ugh Never mind.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

well, with all due respect, I have no ideas how and why my personal opinion about Andrew Jackson leads to a question like this.

This said, I have no problems with Tubman being on the bill. I don't believe Andrew Jackson should be removed because I don't judge a historical figure based on today's moral standard. But this is just me...
That's a good point. Andrew Jackson was a man of his times. We live in a different era, one which Jackson would not be able to recognize or understand.

For my own part, I think the idea to have Harriet Tubman on the $20 has some appeal. (Don't care that much about it one way or another, myself.)

But I would be remiss were I to fail to note that many proponents of Tubman on the $20 would change their minds immediately if they understood that, to the extent Harriet had any political leanings at all (she lived in the age prior to womens' suffrage in the U.S.), she would have been a fire-breathing abolitionist Republican, in line with most of her political allies during her lifetime.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:36 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You never answered the question.

Do you advocate that George Washington be removed from US currency?
yes.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I cannot answer your question why should he NOT be removed.

How about this? I don't see why he is on the currency is such a YUGE deal.

If it is up to me, I would like to see naked military male on the currency, but it is just me. Everybody has an opinion who should be on the currency, who is more deserving. Since Jackson is already on there, what is the point of removing him? sheesh.

If I remember this correctly, didn't you just say Andrew Jackson is one of your favorite president? If this is the case, then what is wrong with him on the currency? What is the big deal?

This said, I have no problems with harriet tubman 20$ bill. I will take all the $20 bills with her face on it if somebody don't want to use them. lol
we should not rewrite history to make a slave master seem like a hero. It's that simple. Yet you are playing dumb. If you want we can just take everybody's picture off money and just use symbols. You keep using "historical figure" like its good or bad. Hitler is a historical figure. Should he be on money? Some of you claim not to be racist then fight to the end to keep racist iconography in place.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
we should not rewrite history to make a slave master seem like a hero. It's that simple. Yet you are playing dumb. If you want we can just take everybody's picture off money and just use symbols. You keep using "historical figure" like its good or bad. Hitler is a historical figure. Should he be on money? Some of you claim not to be racist then fight to the end to keep racist iconography in place.
I don't have to play dumb. If you are comparing Andrew Jackson to Hitler, then you are the one who is playing dumb. Your fellow black people (residinghere) also considers Jackson as one of the best American presidents. I don't see you singled her out, do I? For your information, I don't consider him as a hero or a great president. Matter of fact, I believe he should have stayed in the army, instead of going into politics. I consider him a historical figure. Don't act like the hypocrite, if you want to be taken seriously.

Don't throw the word "racist" around as if it means nothing.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:07 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Maybe someday in the future, go back to presidents - Obama would be a candidate as the first black president.
Not in my life time, I hope. Why would they put the most divisive president on our money to honor him? The only thing to be done about Obummer is try to undo the harm he has done to this country with his racism, Muslim loving, incompetent in every field.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:31 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I just showed DH the Harriet Tubman twenty above, and he asked if Michelle Obama posed for it.
Yes,because to your hubby all blacks look alike.

Racist never quit,do they?

Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
T

I'm singling you out. Don't worry about deflecting to the other person.
Well, I am unclear why you singled me out.

I aint the one who called him a hero or one of the greatest president in the U.S. lol I don't worry about deflecting to the other person. SHE quoted me and SHE was the one who claim Jackson was one of the greatest president. NOT me. So, before you single me out, I need to understand what I've posted that you disagree with. That is all.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-22-2016 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
This is good. Let's talk about this. YES. yes, i'm comparing Andrew Jackson to Hitler. The man owned slave and signed the Indian Removal Act. While Hitler was responsible for millions, Jackson was responsible for thousands. At a certain point, let's drive a hard line at thousands, you can start comparing. So yes, depending on your perspective, I would compare him to Hitler. I mean, if i was a slave or native american choosing between Hitler and Jackson would be a coin flip. .
well, I am not sure if you really want to "talk" about this, because it looks like you are only interested in calling people out.

But if you really want to discuss this in a civilized matter, then this is my opinion.

Americans tend to have a consensus view of their history, which was an evolution of progressive historical interpretation.

well, if you want to compare Andrew Jackson to Hitler, then you must consider the followings,

By the time of Hitler, the world had come around to the notion that human life was (at least in theory) valuable. Treaties on war crimes had been created. Germany was a signator to those treaties.

In the time of Jackson, no such treaties existed. Jackson was the personification of this belief system. If we engaged in this sort-of retroactive judgement, should we not also condemn every leader for treating women as servants? Children as property of their parents? And on and on?

Keep Godwin's Law in mind; when someone brings up the Nazis, serious discussion has ceased.

-----------------------------------

Now, before anybody say I just don't want Tubman to be on the currency. Keep in mind that I HAVE 100% RESPECT TOWARDS THIS WOMAN, AND HAS ALWAYS SAID SHE SHOULD DEFINITELY BE HONORED AS AN AMERICAN HERO.

I DO NOT believe Jackson should be removed from the currency simply because he was a slave owner. He is a historical figure of his time. and Don't even try to bring up Hitler again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies