Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Happy Festivus!
A holiday for the rest of us!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Happy Holiday, is PC hogwash.

I am so happy to live in an area where most people say Merry Christmas and mean it.

Indeed! EVERYTHING was sooooo PC in 1955!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_...Stafford_album)

Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People like you assume I think it's an "attack on Christianity." I think it's nothing more than typical PC crap.
Then what is it Jersey Girl?

If all religions aren't represented on a government lot, then they are favoring Christians. Therefore when people ***** about these Christian symbols being taken down they are taking it as an attack on Christianity instead of an attempt at being fair to all.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Ha, I was actually told it WAS by a Jewish friend growing up. Her words, essentially - "Chanukah exists like it does because Jewish kids were jealous their Christian friends got presents in December."

I know there is more behind the celebration of Chanukah, but I'll never forget her telling me that. Her family was pretty religious, too.
And you, in no way, think this was just a teenage girl trying to shock you instead of an actual educated intelligent explanation of their holiday?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Isn't it great to see more people wishing openly each other Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah.

Even at store registers I hear it now again and people smiling while saying it.

I never understood the reason why not to say it as I never felt offended when someone wished me merry Christmas.
I love Chrismakah too as years ago the OC showed it during an episode.

In CA it may not be mentioned by the overwhelmingly liberal state and that is their choice and right but I'm so glad that PC is leaving the WH and I guess Michelle with her lost hope will be getting to see how hope for the rest of America will look like,as Michelle's hope never reached Chicago and other places that she didn't care about.

Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah to everyone on this forum.
What store never said Merry Christmas but is saying it now?

Happy Holidays has been the standard in America since WWII. There's even a 1940s song, "Happy Holidays" or something.

You're not really wishing us Merry Christmas when you say that in a post like this. It's fake.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then what is it Jersey Girl?

If all religions aren't represented on a government lot, then they are favoring Christians. Therefore when people ***** about these Christian symbols being taken down they are taking it as an attack on Christianity instead of an attempt at being fair to all.
I told you what it is. It's about being PC.

Where I am, 9 times out of 10, Jews are represented as well. However, I have never heard of a suggestion for a "holiday candle" - which is interesting. I'm sure it's happened, though, somewhere. I find that equally as ridiculous as a "holiday tree." This isn't about Christianity or Christians, not for ME at least. It's about the world becoming PC and washed out.

I'm one of those people who isn't easily offended by this type of stuff. Generally, few things actually offend me or bother me to the point of me complaining to the town or city about it, or something. I fail to see why it bothers others so much that there is a Christmas tree being lit in town and it's called *gasp* a Christmas tree. It just doesn't bother me. And I'm not a religious person, so it's not like it doesn't bother me because I am Christian and it is MY religion and holiday. The giant Menorah doesn't bother me, either. I'm baffled that there are people out there who actually dedicate time towards complaining about it and trying to change this stuff. That there are people who appeal to their town to call the "Christmas tree lighting" a "holiday tree lighting." I mean... get a life. Seriously. I don't want to hear about it until the town is forcing everyone in town to attend and forcing them to read Bible verses together, to boot. Until then... who cares? Don't people have better things to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And you, in no way, think this was just a teenage girl trying to shock you instead of an actual educated intelligent explanation of their holiday?
We weren't teenagers. There you go making assumptions again. Unless you were there, which you weren't, you have no idea the tone of the conversation or why we were even discussing it in the first place.

I said I know that Chanukah is important, and I know the meaning behind it. I don't need to be told by a Jewish person - or anyone - what Chanukah means, nor did I at the time when we were kids - yup, KIDS. As I insinuated by saying "told by a friend growing up." I also don't know why you assume we never had "intelligent" discussions about our religions and holidays. I did not suggest such a thing.

I also never said I believed her, took what she said as gospel. I simply shared a story that I had a Jewish friend tell me the same thing.

You're on a roll here, aren't you? Next.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 12-22-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 01:20 AM

979 posts, read 490,814 times
#AllHolidaysMatter

All these Christmas is back threads is so entertaining, it is as if these people were living in the shadows or something. Weren't these same people freaking out over a red cup last year because it wasn't Christmas-y enough?

Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Isn't it great to see more people wishing openly each other Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah.

Even at store registers I hear it now again and people smiling while saying it.

I never understood the reason why not to say it as I never felt offended when someone wished me merry Christmas.
I love Chrismakah too as years ago the OC showed it during an episode.

In CA it may not be mentioned by the overwhelmingly liberal state and that is their choice and right but I'm so glad that PC is leaving the WH and I guess Michelle with her lost hope will be getting to see how hope for the rest of America will look like,as Michelle's hope never reached Chicago and other places that she didn't care about.

Merry Christmas/ Happy Chanukah to everyone on this forum.
When did it ever go away? I'm Jewish and I've always said "Merry Christmas"back to people. If someone tells me to "have a blessed day," I say "thank you" and smile.

There was never a war on Christmas. The Obamas always had a Christmas tree in the White House, so this is just one of those fake outrages by the right-wing conspiracy nuts. I guess you missed President Obama singing Amazing Grace in a Christian church. Enough of this garbage. We've been hearing it for almost 8 years. "Obama is trying to stop Christmas" and "Obama wants to take God off of our money." blah, blah, blah, blah

Old 12-23-2016, 02:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Sorry dude, neither of these greetings left. Did you feel that you weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas for some reason?
Quote:
Ha, I was actually told it WAS by a Jewish friend growing up. Her words, essentially - "Chanukah exists like it does because Jewish kids were jealous their Christian friends got presents in December."

I know there is more behind the celebration of Chanukah, but I'll never forget her telling me that. Her family was pretty religious, too.
I find that bizarre, especially with her family being religious. I could imagine someone growing up in a secular (ethnic) Jewish family saying that, but not a religious family.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I told you what it is. It's about being PC.

Where I am, 9 times out of 10, Jews are represented as well. However, I have never heard of a suggestion for a "holiday candle" - which is interesting. I'm sure it's happened, though, somewhere. I find that equally as ridiculous as a "holiday tree." This isn't about Christianity or Christians, not for ME at least. It's about the world becoming PC and washed out.

I'm one of those people who isn't easily offended by this type of stuff. Generally, few things actually offend me or bother me to the point of me complaining to the town or city about it, or something. I fail to see why it bothers others so much that there is a Christmas tree being lit in town and it's called *gasp* a Christmas tree. It just doesn't bother me. And I'm not a religious person, so it's not like it doesn't bother me because I am Christian and it is MY religion and holiday. The giant Menorah doesn't bother me, either. I'm baffled that there are people out there who actually dedicate time towards complaining about it and trying to change this stuff. That there are people who appeal to their town to call the "Christmas tree lighting" a "holiday tree lighting." I mean... get a life. Seriously. I don't want to hear about it until the town is forcing everyone in town to attend and forcing them to read Bible verses together, to boot. Until then... who cares? Don't people have better things to do?
You say PC like its a bad thing. I think its great that we are finally waking up to the fact not everyone celebrates Christmas and trying to be more inclusive of all.

Quote:
We weren't teenagers. There you go making assumptions again. Unless you were there, which you weren't, you have no idea the tone of the conversation or why we were even discussing it in the first place.

I said I know that Chanukah is important, and I know the meaning behind it. I don't need to be told by a Jewish person - or anyone - what Chanukah means, nor did I at the time when we were kids - yup, KIDS. As I insinuated by saying "told by a friend growing up." I also don't know why you assume we never had "intelligent" discussions about our religions and holidays. I did not suggest such a thing.

I also never said I believed her, took what she said as gospel. I simply shared a story that I had a Jewish friend tell me the same thing.

You're on a roll here, aren't you? Next.

LOL I knew you were going to say you weren't teenagers when I wrote that. How? Because you contradict every single thing someone else says in every thread. Happy Holidays!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies