Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 01:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Yeah, I really believe you -- not.

Maybe you can convince me with a longer and more detailed resume of your abject poverty and misery.
I never claimed to be poor, again with the fibbing.
I also was not miserable, not really part of my personality.

And I don't owe you anything, my history of living abroad is clearly there in my profile, and any number threads before this one.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:57 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
How about these names for classes?

Black Death: Slavery to Michael Brown

New Perspectives on Black Ghetto Poor- I really don't like the name of the class, but hey I am not in charge of naming the class.

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have had several college classes dealing with race relations and inequality and I found them informative even though I anti PC. The first problem with this class is the title. It implies that only White people dominate and subdue other groups, which is American centric. Throughout history dominant groups have forced their norms on other people, the Turks in Turkey do it to Kurds and Armenians. In China the Han culture forces itself on Tibetans and Uighurs. A more historically correct title would be "Dominant groups and inequality", which in the American context would be about Whites and other groups.

There's a healthy way to discuss America's race problems and give voice to minority perspectives. Too often the Left chooses to alienate and demonize the very people that needed to be reached.
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I know you are.
Am I supposed to say "but what am I?" now?

How old are you btw?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:58 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GraceProfessional- View Post
I don't believe her either. She came from a "middle class family" and her father had money but she lived in the slums, just doesn't make sense. When I was 17 I became the oldest full time male resident of my street. Only 2 or 3 kids I knew growing up had fathers. That were not dead, incarcerated, or missing. None of us had any family that had anything. Thats typical in the projects. Doesn't make any sense at all that she would be dirt poor living in a slum if her dad was "middle class". Most kids from the slum do not have fathers period.
Yes, and it's extremely rude of her to pretend poverty when responding to your post.

She's a pretentious elitist and really not worth anyone's time.

Last edited by dechatelet; 12-19-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM

269 posts, read 134,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You stated it as fact, usually this is based on concrete evidence and the one makes a claim can support it.
It is a fact and there is concrete information about it. I said look it up yourself or not.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I guess you would say the same about these classes too: Curriculum | Department of African American Studies | Georgetown University
Hmm. Yes. Degree like that and a $1.50 will qualify you to buy a cup of coffee at Dunkin Doughnuts

Old 12-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What are you talking about? You think there is already a policy about which classes universities can use financial aid for? Why do you think that?
No, there's already a policy on financial aid, period.

Duh.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Once again white people want to make the rules. This is a fine example of white privilege. Evidently, the Deans, Provosts, and Board accepted the name, so there you go!
The person you're responding to is not white.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GraceProfessional- View Post
I don't believe her either. She came from a "middle class family" and her father had money but she lived in the slums, just doesn't make sense.
What is with you and that other person about making things up? Please show me where I said I lived in the slums? I spent my summer living in the provinces in the Philippines, very poor but not slums.

Maybe you should take this as an opportunity to realize you apparently have a very narrow world view. My father was middle class, my mom and step mom were not. Is this really something new?

Quote:
When I was 17 I became the oldest full time male resident of my street. Only 2 or 3 kids I knew growing up had fathers. That were not dead, incarcerated, or missing. None of us had any family that had anything. Thats typical in the projects. Doesn't make any sense at all that she would be dirt poor living in a slum if her dad was "middle class". Most kids from the slum do not have fathers period.
Really odd to accuse someone of lying but then lie about what they said!

But I suspect it is because you are defensive about being wrong. It is a normal reaction.

You do realize that poor people live other places than the city or slums right? Some of the poorest people in this country live outside of cities in places like Appalachia, with a level of poverty I think would surprise even you.

The problem with playing the who has it worst game, is someone always has it worse than you. I did not have a bad childhood. But that does not mean i had a sheltered one either. We saw and lived some terrible things that summer, but I readily admit I was lucky enough to have parents who eventually were able to get through that mess and retrieve us. And we had grandparents who were looking out for us as best they could.

My point remains, you make assumptions about people, and tell them their experiences instead of asking, and you are likely to end up wrong more often than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies