Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 01:19 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,776,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
MLK did not fight for white people's rights. Their rights were already recognized by local, state, and federal government. He specifically stated in various works that he was fighting for Civil Rights for black Americans/Negroes and this is why he was considered an "agitator" and a domestic terrorist. Doing anything or blacks/negroes throughout American history makes one a threat. King also spoke about the system of "white supremacy" in various works. Contrary to what you all believe, this is not a new SJW phrase. WEB DuBois spoke about "white supremacy" in the late 19th/early 20th century, which is why he is included in the course description. This stuff is not new, you just all want to act like it doesn't exist for some reason or that not talking about it will make it go away.

We need to have these discussions IMO because many people, including yourself, seem to take some sort of rose colored glasses, fantasy look at history. This is especially the case for MLK for a lot of conservative people. You've been around here a long time and I have already shared the above so I know that you know that MLK was a TRUE progressive and that being "progressive" was not about a political party. In the past there have been both Democrat and Republican progressives. He was also considered an "agitator" and was blamed for causing "riots." He was jailed and considered a criminal. He spoke about how the "white moderate's indifference" and rationalization of racism was the reason why racism existed in our country and I agree with him on this point. Talking about it and challenging it is the only way to diminish race based prejudice. He also spoke about how whites always wanted black people to be quiet about racism and to "wait" for things to get better. You need to read more that MLK wrote himself instead of basing your view of him on one speech.

And IMO flipping the discussion to white supremacy and examining white supremacy as a part of the "white experience" of our country, is a valid POV instead of always talking about how blacks and other poeple of color were "harmed." IMO this class is seeking to explore how this has "harmed" white people as well.

I am black and am well aware that the "black experience" is filled with negatives inherent to some cultural aspects of being black in America. However, I am also aware that "black culture" has many inherent positive attributes that are frequently not mentioned in media or academia. The opposite is done for "white culture" in America. Positives are mentioned much moreso for whites and negatives overlooked when it comes to socio-economic conditions and behaviors. IMO this is the cause for much of what people view as "white privilege." I'll also be honest and state I personally think that "white privilege" is not a huge issue/concern of mine because it is built on prejudice and creating new terms for "prejudice" does nothing but confuse people. But "white supremacy" is ideologically a huge part of American culture and a huge component of colonialism. So in that context "whiteness" is valid to explore when studying the concept of "white supremacy" and how it came to be.

On "liberal agenda" too many people today always think something is an "agenda" (gay agenda, black agenda, lots of paranoia IMO). No one wants to have an honest conversation about race and IMO it is great to do so within the confines of academia, such as what is being done at this university. Because outside of academic discussions, people rely too much on media and how media frames "issues" of the day such as references to a "liberal agenda." People take the view of their media sources as their own and that limits their outlook and the discussion. IMO that is what is going on in this very thread. You were the one who said you didn't know about "whiteness" or what it meant to be "white." Why would you think that taking a class about this is racist?

As I've shared, I'm neither liberal or conservative. I am speaking from a non-political view point and base my view on my own knowledge, primarily learned via studying various sources (primarily books) and historical figures like WEB DuBois and MLK and our Founding Fathers amongst others. To me, there is no such thing as a "liberal agenda" or a "conservative agenda" there is only having an open mind, learning, exploring and coming to one's own conclusions about a subject after examining all view points.
Concerning the comment I highlighted, do you really think these type college courses constitute a conversation? What will happen to a white student who disagrees on the concept of "white privilege" for example or who thinks BLM is a hate group? At a minimum he will fail the course and be labeled a racist. If they could find a way, he'd be drummed out of the school for their version of hate crimes. A conversation would allow for more than one point of view. Colleges increasingly have taken on a thought police mentality and do not allow discussions about any racial, religious, or political issue.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:20 PM

269 posts, read 135,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Exactly, white privilege allows some white people not to see race in themselves, yet they will be angry at those who do. Cognitive Dissonance and White Privilege is real.
Yes white supremacy was the dominating organizing political force in the nation since its founding up to generously 1970. So basically 80% of it. Yet studying it is political correctness. Lol

What I have taken to doing is asking what the stakes for the two opposing sides.

Usually one side is fighting for its survival and one side is fighting for continued dominance.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:22 PM

39,332 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Concerning the comment I highlighted, do you really think these type college courses constitute a conversation? What will happen to a white student who disagrees on the concept of "white privilege" for example or who thinks BLM is a hate group? At a minimum he will fail the course and be labeled a racist. If they could find a way, he'd be drummed out of the school for their version of hate crimes. A conversation would allow for more than one point of view. Colleges increasingly have taken on a thought police mentality and do not allow discussions about any racial, religious, or political issue.
exactly.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,452,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I have read Gabriel Marcel, for a philosophy class, he was an existentialist right?

Anyway, in which book (he has many I assume) does he discuss European culture? I would be interested to read his perspective and I found his philosophical work interesting back in the day.
Try "Man Against Mass Society."

Old 12-19-2016, 01:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,853,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refineryworker73 View Post
Yes white supremacy was the dominating organizing political force in the nation since its founding up to generously 1970. So basically 80% of it. Yet studying it is political correctness. Lol

What I have taken to doing is asking what the stakes for the two opposing sides.

Usually one side is fighting for its survival and one side is fighting for continued dominance.
ITA with the bold but would extend it to 1980.

I honestly wonder what the heck these people read/consume in regards to historic literature and media.

16,825 posts, read 17,775,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Oh, right.

The horrendous suffering you went through -- tell us more about it.
I may have come from a middle class family with regard to my father but our stepmother came from true abject poverty. She felt it was important for us to know what that was like, and she was right.

What do you want to know? What it was like after Pinatubo blew? What it looks like when lahar eats away the skin of your neighbors youngest child and you and your brother find them? Food shortages, looting, murders, ? Pick your poison.

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times
Sounds like a class on how to teach Blacks to blame their problems on Whites.

Who would have thought they give out college degrees for it.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,546,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I teach a class, which addresses this subject matter. If a student is uncomfortable they have the option to withdraw from the course. We are not going to deviate from the subject matter to pamper a grown adult. Nope!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,775,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Try "Man Against Mass Society."
Cool I will check it out of the library tonight. I am interested to see what he has to say about European culture. Can you paraphrase so I know what to look out for?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,546,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Sounds like a class on how to teach Blacks to blame their problems on Whites.

Who would have thought they give out college degrees for it.
It allows black students to have a greater understanding of the subject matter and to have a scholarly discourse about it. It is one of my best classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.